PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have the same problem with thier parents?

amrani
01-04-2005, 04:45 PM
my parents wont let me spend my own money :mad:

they keep telling me that i have spent enough money on paintball "crap" and should be spending it on something else. these are the same people who let my brother spend 300 on an ipod and 200 on stuff for that ipod. money is not a problem with my family (aka were not poor) and the money is my own that i have earned or recieved (ie christmass or birthday)
i cant just use moneyorders because i cant drive yet :( (next year) and hence i dont have a credit card that i can just use whenever.

if anyone else has this problem or a similer one and can help me, id be much abliged

Chronobreak
01-04-2005, 04:53 PM
....how old are you 12?..

cant walk to a gas station?

or friend relative to drive you?

explain that ipod thing to your rents

mine were the same and i pay for all my stuff.

how do you get to the field?

Recon by Fire
01-04-2005, 04:55 PM
...and then you can grow up get married, and still get flak about how you spend your money :)

WenULiVeUdiE
01-04-2005, 04:59 PM
You could always remind them spending the money on paintball is better than spending it on drugs. But eventually they will allow you to spend it. Just dont push it or get mad when they tell you no.

amrani
01-04-2005, 05:03 PM
my parents will take me to the field, but they dont want me to spend my money on upgrades for some reason. i still dont understand this, and its been going on for quite some time. all the while ive been waiting for them to say yes. now that chirstmass has rolled around (again) i asked to spend some of my money as i please. and yet again "on what....paintball of corse not. you have spent enough money on that gun of yours for a lifetime"

and ive spent about 300 total on all 2 of my guns, and 150 on my curent gun, a mag

personman
01-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah my parents used to be like that.
Now they're just like ok, its your money, as long as you know what you're doing with it.
:)

SlartyBartFast
01-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Yeah my parents used to be like that.
Now they're just like ok, its your money, as long as you know what you're doing with it.
:)

To me that (and the original question) depends on a lot of circumstances.

It's not necessarily "your" money. Seeing as no matter how many jobs you have or how much money you make on your own, your food, clothing, and lodging are subsidized by your parents. (of course to varying degrees, but your parents are probably bankrolling the majority of your current life expenses) Every dollar that they don't charge you in rent or expenses is a dollar you get to use in some other fashion. So, really, unless your paying a fair rent, for your food, and all your clothes every penny that the average child earns they earn because their parents allow them to earn it.

You give up a lot for your children, and if you see them wasting to much money (whether because you disagree with the activity or because you feel they are too focused on one thing) you know that you are giving up YOUR freedoms so that they can behave in that manner.

Think it's great having to watch the family budget and know that there's nothing left for any of your hobbies or interests but your son seems to have endless cash to spend on his interests?

If my child is not using his disposable income in a manner that I approve of, you can be sure that I'll cut back on some of my subsidies. FOr instance if he EVER smokes or does drugs, I'll immediately eliminate an equivalent amount of cash from any allowance. If I'm not paying an allowance then I'll immediately cut back an equivalent amount on any frills or special purchases.

Now, in this case the brother spends 500 on Ipod stuff. How often does the brother make frivolous purchases? How much money is being spent on paintball (seems to me it's whining to try and compare a 500$ purchase to even a low end paintball habit. That won't get you a gun and a single day out.)? What do the parents pay for? What do the children pay for?

hitech
01-04-2005, 05:23 PM
No, my parents are not like that (I'm 44). However, my wife has said things like that from time to time. :wow:

And if my children were going to spend "their" money on something I did not approve of I wouldn't let them either. Hell, my step-kids cannot spend their Dad's money if I really disapprove. (i.e. I'll just get Dad to buy it...) ;)

amrani
01-04-2005, 05:32 PM
ok lets clear some stuff up

my parents approve of me playing paintball, thats not the problem

my brother plays paintball also, so daily costs of going paintballing arent in effect

he has spent just asmuch money on paintball as me so far, plus 500 on his ipod stuff and a
digital vidio camera just last year (he has used that like 3 times)

my parents pay for what most people would agree they should pay for. clothing, food,
house hold bills, furniture for my room, shoes, necessary school supplies and soccer
equipment (consists of cleats, ball, and cloths to wear durring practice) i also pay for
about half of my soccer equipment
and have offered to pay for it all, but they feel that they want to help me pay for it. I
have had to pay for my xbox, games, etc.

please post any more questions, comments, and/or questions on my circumstances

thanks for all the ideas already

urbansix
01-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Yeah? My parents expect me to pay $700 - $800 in plane tickets a couple of times a year just so they can see their grandkids. Or I guess I could drive the 12 hours. More like 15 with the pee and vomit breaks. Like I can afford to take the extra vacation time. What do they want from me? They're the ones who live out in the middle of no where.

SlartyBartFast
01-04-2005, 05:41 PM
my parents approve of me playing paintball, thats not the problem

Well, then you really have to have a frank discussion with them about what they think the problem is.

Approach the discussion like an adult and they'll probably treat you like one. That is, don't whine, don't say anything isn't "fair", don't use the "but my friends/brother/cousin can" arguments.

Ask why it's a problem, what they think is a reasonable expenditure, what they think you should rather spend the money on, etc.

How old are you? Do you have any money saved up? Are you putting money aside for any big purchases or expenses? Maybe your parents think you're living day to day and want to see you have some kind of plan.

Ghetto
01-04-2005, 05:43 PM
...and then you can grow up get married, and still get flak about how you spend your money :)
:rofl: so true. My wife is awesome she just doesnt understand why I NEED more paintball related items.

urbansix
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
If my child is not using his disposable income in a manner that I approve of, you can be sure that I'll cut back on some of my subsidies. FOr instance if he EVER smokes or does drugs, I'll immediately eliminate an equivalent amount of cash from any allowance. If I'm not paying an allowance then I'll immediately cut back an equivalent amount on any frills or special purchases.

Thats great! " Sorry son, just mashed potatoes tonight...the money for the porkchop and dessert you spent on that pack of cigarettes" I can't wait to use that. :nono:

SlartyBartFast
01-04-2005, 05:47 PM

But if you're properly married, it's not YOUR money. It's only your money if you're living on your own, or you are living together but remain financially independant and split all costs equally (and that's not marriage).

Marriage (and family) is a partnership where if one partner succeeds all succeed. If one fails, all fail. :cool:

JoshK
01-04-2005, 05:51 PM
My parents are like that. Im making 300 something bucks this weekend (a very rare thing since i have no job). But they said no money on paintball...you have to save for a car(very understandable, since im getting a car in less than 2 years). But they used to say "no" to every paintball thing ive asked...they finally realized i need paintball...but they still wont let me buy a second gun. Well...if your parents are like mine, they will crack...but they will never let you explain your side of the story like a adult :rolleyes: ...

P.S. I have to pay for everything with my own money...and I'm 14.

SlartyBartFast
01-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Thats great! " Sorry son, just mashed potatoes tonight...the money for the porkchop and dessert you spent on that pack of cigarettes" I can't wait to use that. :nono:

Think I can't? :rolleyes: I'd feed my kid what I was eating, but there's always plenty of extras to cut. Look in you refrigerator, freezer, and pantry at home. How many of the convenience items, cereals, cookies, junk food, etc. are there only for the kids? If they are, not buying them is painless to the adults. If they're for the adults as well, well access to them can easily be controlled.

My personal favorite is the episode of "My Wife and Kids" where the three kids rebel aginst the father. The father agrees to let them live without rules and if they make it to the end of the week there will never be another rule in the house.

Needless to say, they don't make it. :ninja:

coyote
01-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Sorry Kiddo...

When you are a minor, or even an adult that still lives where someone else pays for your roof, food, and bills ther is no such thing as "your money".

Your folks are trying to turn you into a responsible adult. Just spending $ because you feel like it doesn't accomplish that. That is how a child acts. If you have gear, and the ability to play once in a while appreciate that. Many folks can't afford it.

My parents both grew up poor. My father started working when he was 5 tears old. He picked cotton with the rest of his family so he could help earn money for school clothes and shoes. He made something of himself, but he taught his children how to manage money. Your parents are trying to teach you that skill.

Show them you understand this concept. Open a bank account. If you have one already put some of that $ away. Don't touch it. Save it for a car, or college. Get some work. Make a few bucks on your own. Set aside some for your savings. You may see a real change in how your parents treat you.

SlartyBartFast
01-04-2005, 05:56 PM
P.S. I have to pay for everything with my own money...and I'm 14.

I call BS. You can't be making 300 in a weekend as a rare event AND pay for everything.

And if they "crack" and let you spend your saving on something, that's one thing. But if they "crack" and help you finance anything that they think your saving should have been used for, they're pathetic.

amrani
01-04-2005, 06:05 PM
ok, one more time of clearing up stuff

coyote--their is such thing as my money. i have a lawnmowing business that i make money
from. i own the lawnmower. i bought it with money i saved form mowing from before
i bought it. before i had my own mower, i paid to use my parents mower and i paid and
still do pay for gas.

Paintballnewbie--i have about 6000 dollars saved up for a car, and i have college bonds that
have been growing for quite some time. thanks to my parents, grandparents, and my
hard work for that. so im not living week to week or day to day, i have long term plans.
i just put in 2k worth of savings this year, and still have some money left over that i
wanted to spend on some paintball stuff but was declined.

wow, im getting more interest than i expected. thanks for all the help guys

EDIT: I'LL BE 15 IN MARCH FOR THOSE WHO WERE WONDERING ABOUT MY AGE, AND I AM NOT STUPID, I HAVE A VERY DECENT, IF NOT ACCEPTABLE IQ

urbansix
01-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Listen to you bunch of whiners. There are children starving in cambodia or china or somewhere, and you are whining because you have to buy all your own X-box games and can't get a SECOND gun or the upgrade du jour for your pimptastic electromajig? Get some perspective. You could do alot worse than having enough of your "own" money to have a Mag and a backup and being allowed to play (what some might see as an agression-oriented metaphor for militaristic violence) however often.

Perhaps an idea would be to show some selfless responsibility - volunteer to be a Big Brother and introduce some poor inner city kid to paintball. Or get a pump (cheaper, ALOT less spent on paint) and REALLY work on your game - then by the time you are "out in the real world" finance wise, you will be the ultimate paintball ninja.......grasshoppa

SlartyBartFast
01-04-2005, 06:12 PM
coyote--their is such thing as my money. i have a lawnmowing business that i make money from. i own the lawnmower. i bought it with money i saved form mowing from before i bought it. before i had my own mower, i paid to use my parents mower and i paid and still do pay for gas.

Cool. Sounds like you're a responsible kid. I did very much the same thing when I was a kid, but I never got round to actually buying my own equipment.

I also have to say that that's an impressive amount of savings for someone of your age.

But, coyote is still right. As long as your a minor and living at home nothing is 100% yours outright.

Every summer I worked I gave my parents a percentage of my pay as "rent". Maybe yours would like to see you contribute to family finances.

But, unless you have an adult conversation with them there's no way we can guess what their complaint is.

amrani
01-04-2005, 06:17 PM
please dont call me a whiner. i dispise whiners, and infact, i have given money to the relif fund for those affected by the tsunami. i know it seems like i have an exorbant amount of money for a child my age, but i have about 15 customers whom i mow thier lawns. thats about 125 gross dollers per week. not including winter months ( no grass to mow) thats about 3500 dollers per year. also, i have not just given charity this year, my religion has required me to donate money ever since i started to realize what money was, how it affected life, etc. that was about 5 years ago, when i truned 10. it wasnt much i gave then, but the amount that i have given each year has grown.

as i said before, im not stupid and would not be complaining if their was some obvious reason that i should not be able to do as i please with 1-200 dollers per year.

and for the one who said to act like an adult, i have tried it, and just used the example of my brother here to show that we have money, spend money, and save money. therfore excluding the main reason some would come up with for me not being able to spend my money.

i would gladly give my parents some percentage of my income as "rent" but they have refused it politely. they feel that having me was thier decision and they will keep up my needs.

and again, thier complaint is exactly as folows
and i quote them

"You really shouldnt be spending so much money on one thing. Why not something
else?....(i asked if they had anything in mind)....Can't you think of something else
you enjoy?...(i said soccer (which is already funded), but other than that no, but if
they had something that sounded like fun, i would gladly try it)" the conversation
ended there.

urban--it doesnt really seem like you read the stuff inside this trhead, to get a pump, id
have to BUY that pump. if my parents wont let me BUY anything, then
how am i supposed to get that pump?

From now on, it would probally be better to read all, if not the vast majority of the
posts inside a thread before flaming someone. Especially if the flame your giving is
completely incorect and will just make you embarass yourself in the next post by the
thread creater.

SlartyBartFast
01-04-2005, 06:30 PM
and for the one who said to act like an adult

Hope that you didn't think I was accusing you of acting otherwise.

Seems to me that you parents may just think you should broaden your horizons a bit.

For the quote it didn't seem like they were forbidding you from continuing with paintball. Just perhaps they think your spending too much time with a limited social group.

amrani
01-04-2005, 06:35 PM
SlartyBartFast--you hit the nail on the head. and no, i dont think you were accusing me of
acting otherwise, just checking and finding out all the info you needed to come to a
decent, if not correct conclusion.

i dont think that im hanging with a limited social group, especially since i dont even talk to paintballers at school, and only once in a while to i hang out with my soccer buddies

hitech
01-04-2005, 06:42 PM
They think you are spending too much money on a paintball marker. They don't think it is worth it. Why do you need these seemingly never ending "upgrades"? My wife pretty much thinks they same thing of my equipment. And why shouldn't they? We extol the virtues of each new gismo we want. Then we want something else. To them it seems like we don't know what we want and are never satisfied.

The bottom line is that they don't understand why you spend all that money on just a paintball marker. They don't understand it. On the other hand they probably understand a love of music...

Good luck.

tyrion2323
01-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Usually parents have the right things in mind for their children. I certainly wish I had heeded my parents' advice regarding spending when I was younger. Grad school is looming in the horizon, and it makes me realize how stupid some of my youth splurges (video games, DVDs, etc) were.

My recommendation: Unless you need a performance upgrade for tournament play, or your gear is broken and needs to be replaced, listen to your folks.

urbansix
01-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Ok sorry - that was my "kids these days" diatribe. You sound reasonably responsible. But being a parent I have to give them a pass on their reasoning, whatever it may be. Unless they are beating you which I assume they are not. Kudos on the money saved, though.

"my religion requires"?? They don't believe in free will? Self determination? Just kidding.

Sounds like they are trying to raise you into a well rounded person. You already HAVE paintball. And 2 guns. What more could there be? (from their perspective).

You should have gotten your dad involved (assuming...you said parentS plural) when you were 10 or 11. Then you could ride his coattails as he, with the real disposable income, gets the upgrade bug, feels your pain, etc. Let him fight with mom, you get last years leftovers.

This will all be a moot argument once you start car dating....I'm sure they are holding their reserves.

Seriously - think about the pump ninja thing.

amrani
01-04-2005, 06:47 PM
thanks for the luck wish, and yea, it seems that way. i have never gotten an upgrade for my mag, so there fore its still stock :cry: thats the main reason i dont understand it. i guess ill still have to keep workin them till they crack.

anyother ideas, feel free to post, unless ur gonna flame me coughURBANcough after you find out weather or not ive done something, then feel free to flame me.

SCpoloRicker
01-04-2005, 06:48 PM
*cough*

Friendly Corner

*cough*

Got a kick out of
...and then you can grow up get married, and still get flak about how you spend your money

Kevmaster
01-04-2005, 06:59 PM
as it has been said....

as long as they pay for your food, your shelter, your NEEDS, you have to get their approval. its just how it works. My parents are paying my college bill right now. I owe them bigtime. If they tell me to do something, as much as it may pain me, I don't have a choice but to listen. Tuff stuff if I disagree. Its just how it works. Get used to it

JoshK
01-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Listen to you bunch of whiners. There are children starving in cambodia or china or somewhere, and you are whining because you have to buy all your own X-box games and can't get a SECOND gun or the upgrade du jour for your pimptastic electromajig? Get some perspective. You could do alot worse than having enough of your "own" money to have a Mag and a backup and being allowed to play (what some might see as an agression-oriented metaphor for militaristic violence) however often.

Perhaps an idea would be to show some selfless responsibility - volunteer to be a Big Brother and introduce some poor inner city kid to paintball. Or get a pump (cheaper, ALOT less spent on paint) and REALLY work on your game - then by the time you are "out in the real world" finance wise, you will be the ultimate paintball ninja.......grasshoppa

Ok...yes, there are people starving out there...but can we not enjoy the money we have? We arnt wining about having to spend our own money. And what do you mean by "own"??? We earn our money...we arn't vultures. I volunteer for different stuff, and I gave up a weekend of paintball (havnt gone for months and finally had a chance to go) for some kids at my church to have fun and learn about god.

Please inform yourself with facts before flaming people.

amrani
01-04-2005, 07:03 PM
i understand i have to listen to them, just wanted to know if i could somehow change thier minds ;)

and im tryin to get used to it, but its just so hard.................

yea ur right, should be friendly corner, ne mod wanna move this for me? if you feel its ok here, wateva.

amrani
01-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Ok...yes, there are people starving out there...but can we not enjoy the money we have? We arnt wining about having to spend our own money. And what do you mean by "own"??? We earn our money...we arn't vultures. I volunteer for different stuff, and I gave up a weekend of paintball (havnt gone for months and finally had a chance to go) for some kids at my church to have fun and learn about god.

Please inform yourself with facts before flaming people.

AMEN

JoshK
01-04-2005, 07:07 PM
I dont know...it kinda belongs in both...but overall i think it belongs here... :rolleyes:

camilion705
01-04-2005, 07:20 PM
I have a few questions for you amrani.

What if you sold your extra marker and used that cash to buy the upgrades? Do you really need two markers? The only reasons I can see for owning two markers are if you play in tournaments and absolutely have to have a working marker at all times, or if you buy/sell/trade markers to generate cash to buy needed gear to play. I own two guns right now. One is my primary marker which I use all the time. The other marker I recently aquired to sell after I fix it up so that I can make some money to buy paint.

I am 17 and my parents absolutely hate it when I buy paintball stuff and really dislike anything that has to do with paintball. They have never dropped a cent specifically for me to play (Obviously they take care of other living expenses) and have clearly stated that if I wished to play paintball I would have to take care of every related expense, even the gas to get to the field. To get this cash, I work in the summer, buy/sell/trade pball gear, and occasionally get a babysitting job.

To me it sounds like you haven't formed a clear arguement as to why you should be able to buy some new gear. Get creative to find ways for your parents to let you be financially independent with your paintball expenses.

master_alexander
01-04-2005, 07:23 PM
my parents were the same way, in the firstoff, exctly a year ago yesterday i just went out with a bran new.... brass eagle silver eagle! the thing sucked, but then after i showed them that i could play and not get hurt and keep my mask on, they let me get an A-5.
i got a stock and a longer barrel for it, and enjoyed shooting people from far away really hard, then i found the joy of speedball. I got a spyder pilot. great for beginner tournament. but then i didn't like the electro pull that much and dis some research and found this mag, one of one rare mags, a couple more things and it would be a collectros item. and i love it, its an rt, bouncy and now i want upgrades. meanwhile they don't see the point of getting a new gun or barrel and it is always the same awnser,"what is wrong with the other one?" and i reply"there is nothing wrong with it, just this one is better.". so now my new rant is to get a new mainbody and rail and barrel. and i will be happy. oh yeah and a foregrip and asa.

amrani
01-04-2005, 07:36 PM
camilion705 u pretty much just related my paintball experience. but my parents, while they let me play, and have me pay for all the expences, less the gas to get there (they dont want change ;) )

master_alexander u guys pretty much got it, and that really works for you? ill have to try that sometime and hope it works like you said it does. they were trying that argument on me earlier when i wanted to get my mag ( whats rong with the other one) and my grandma, bless her soul, came to my rescue saying, its his money he wants to spend, and its not like hes tryin to waste all of his money, just some extra cash after saving and giving, and of course, they had to listen to thier elders. :clap: . then she left to go back home and they were back to the same reasons again.

dahvaio
01-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Listen to you bunch of whiners. There are children starving in cambodia or china or somewhere...
Perhaps an idea would be to show some selfless responsibility - volunteer to be a Big Brother and introduce some poor inner city kid to paintball.

Who cares about the children starving in Cambodia, China and elsewhere? I get so sick and tired of reading about the poor and hungry in those countries. Do you honestly think it is going to help by sending them money? Take a look at the amount of money various charity groups require to exist... Most barely send 40% of what they raise... The rest is used for themselves. For example, the president and CEO of the Red Cross makes $450,000 thousand a year...

I live in Southern California and there was a huge wild fire a couple of years ago... The people within the community donated a ton of money... and guess what the RED Cross used it for something else, until the People of San Diego complained.

In countries like India, China, Cambodia, etc, the government and the way of thinking needs to be improved. Nothing is going to change, no matter how much money and food gets pumped into those countries. The root of the problem has to be addressed: the government.

We should be trying to save the people in the US, why not raise tons of money for school and education. California has the 5th largest economy in the World, yet it ranks almost last in Education in the United States.

Worry about the people in your own country and when that problem has been solved, then worry about the other countries. How can you help and fix problems elsewhere if the same problem exists in your own country.

Be responsible.....

As for not being able to spend money on what you want... I think it is wrong for the parents to do that... Now if the money is from allowance I can see them controlling it. However, if it is money that you went out and worked hard for, hell, they should at least let you spend it on what you want.

From what you said Amanrani, you seem like you are preparing for the future and saving. What you have left over you should be able to spend on what you want. Just because you want to spend money on paintball is not justifiable enough for your parents to say no; because, your brother spends money on electronics.

The major issue here seems like that your parents are not being fair, or do not think that paintball equipment holds any value. Explain to your parents that Paintball is as much a passion as is the IPOD is for your brother. Just because they do not view it the same way, should not in any way hinder you from upgrading your paintball gear.

Try to let your parents know more about paintballing and educate them about it.

Good luck...

urbansix
01-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Chill out - that was tongue-in-cheek. :D For anyone who grew up in the 60's it was starving kids in China...in the 70's Cambodia, in the 80's Ethiopia. Just a generic argument made by frustrated parents to get their (whining) kids to finish their dinner, (or at least to be thankful that they had food to leave on their plate instead of whining about not liking it). Not trying to make a political point. The point I was trying to make is that having to choose between "participating" "indulging" and "obsessing over" a frivolous, superficial past time hardly constitutes a hardship in the grander scheme of things. Why, when I was your age we didnt even have Paintball. Just paint. We had to run around with paintbrushes. Uphill, mind you.

But seriously. My puritannical parents despised any form of "fun" as vain and self indulgent. Every birthday I got shafted by some crappy Kmart version of what I really wanted. So yeah , I would have killed to have been able to have a mag and a backup, even bought with my own money. Even just a Talon. If something as awesome as paintball even existed back then. (yes, we shot each other with gun-shaped sticks and cap guns...and I'm not even THAT old). So I guess all i'm saying is - you're living in the 21st century. It's like science fiction compared to a generation ago. Don't hold it against your parents that your ROF isn't high enough (or whatever). Have fun. No flames intended.

amrani
01-04-2005, 08:43 PM
its not that my rof isnt high enough, just i have a completely stock mag and if i could just get a gas trhough grip and some hoses maybe a new frame

Conversekidz
01-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Where does it stop with paintball? your brother isn't going to keep wanting to upgrade his ipod just because his friend has a better one. Paintball is a bottomless pit, each time you play it costs you money.

Or maybe you are just a bad son and they are punishing you with the one thing you really love.

JRingold
01-04-2005, 08:58 PM

they keep telling me that i have spent enough money on paintball "crap" and should be spending it on something else. these are the same people who let my brother spend 300 on an ipod and 200 on stuff for that ipod. money is not a problem with my family (aka were not poor) and the money is my own that i have earned or recieved (ie christmass or birthday)
i cant just use moneyorders because i cant drive yet :( (next year) and hence i dont have a credit card that i can just use whenever.

if anyone else has this problem or a similer one and can help me, id be much abliged

Dude, if you think your parents are bad, try having a wife that doesn't play paintball. I get hell for buying a case of paint, or even a box of 12-grams for $7.49.

urbansix
01-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey man I'm not trying to be mean - just taking devils advocate position. Parenting techinique aside, If this were a "should I buy this upgrade" thread, I would ask, is your game suffering because of your frame or hoses? If not, then I would say save the money - there will be plenty to spend it on some day, and work on your game. Nothing wrong with being the guy that owns with a totally stock mag. Sorry if previous posts sounded like flames.

magmanl337
01-04-2005, 08:59 PM

:

SAW
01-04-2005, 09:15 PM
^^ Nice.

amrani
01-04-2005, 09:24 PM
ok, like i said before, i cant move posts. im not a mod. i asked a mod to move the thread, but so far to no avail. if you had read all the posts before you dicided to flame me, then you would realize this. i accidently posted in the wrong forum. once again if you had read the posts, you would have realized this. it doesnt do any good to flame someone for something that has already been brought up by someone and addressed by the thread started before. it just gets you embarassed because you were too lazy to read the posts before flaming someone. if i could move a thread, i would, but as you see, i dont have many posts so im obviously not a mod. seriously, it annoys me the iq that some of the poeple here must have. good job trying to be cool and just seeming stupid to all those who actually read the posts.

and any way, that says off topic fourm. meaning not relating to paintball, which this does, indeed relate to paintball.

SAW
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I just thought the picture was funny. Sorry if you took that personally....

amrani
01-04-2005, 09:30 PM
sorry about flaming about flaming :tard:

im just slightly annoyed at the moment for reasons id rather not post (hope people understand rather than flame/annoy me :argh: ) and no they dont have to do with my parents whom i am very greatful towards

Conversekidz
01-04-2005, 09:32 PM
amrani got picowned

sorry i couldn't help myself.

But I will say it again, when will it stop? I have been playing paintball now off and on for 8+ years, longer if you count the very first time I played. First time playing the field only have bushmaster pumps cause semi's hadn't taken off yet. But back to my point. When will it stop? meaning if you get the grip frame then what? a new rail? valve? new XYZ cause your friend got one and you want one. Next it is the HPA system so you can shoot just that more regular. I bet your parents feel that way, that if it isnt this one thing, it will be another one. If you could go to your parents and show them that this is the only upgrade you want then maybe they will let you.

amrani
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
hey thanks for the help converse

yea, now that i look back at it it was kinda funny, but inapropriate all the same

Sac
01-04-2005, 10:15 PM
my parents used to tell me that when i was a noob and had a spyder i was upgrading, now they dont even ask what gun im buying/trading for. they'll come around when you get more and more into the game.

White_Noise
01-04-2005, 11:06 PM
my parents have always allowed me to spend my own money on my paintball stuff with not too much hesitation. until this past year, id need to borrow money or their credit card but would pay them back and theyd know what i was getting. however, lately i just buy whatever i want/can afford and then tell them after i get it. maybe thats why i dont have any $$$ and alot of markers.....

give it some time, keep asking, and mention that atleast the $$$ isnt being used for drugs.

Miscue
01-05-2005, 12:40 AM
In hindsight, I WISH I saved every last dime when I was a teenager. I blew thousands on stuff I didn't need. What I do need is appliances, carpet, something to sit on, and a table to eat on instead of the floor. Hell, my computer is on the floor right now.

But what did I do recently? Spent $2500+ on stereo equipment... and I still sit on the floor to eat. :)

Just remember, you'll regret it later - but be glad you did at the time... and you won't learn your lesson. To hell with it all... have fun!

coyote
01-05-2005, 01:15 AM
You missed mt point...

A lot has been posted since my last words words, and I haven't read it.

Amrani...Until you reach the day where you pay for the home you live in, the food you eat, the cloths you wear, and everything else you still won't understand the concept of what is "your money".

I understand that you want the independance to spend what money you have earned. But your parents seem to be trying to teach you a greater lesson.

They seem to be doing a good job. You seem like a nice bright kid. Have a little faith in them.

Evil1
01-05-2005, 03:34 AM
My parents didn't like me spending my money on paintball either. I am an only child but I always had step-sisters and they were always allowed to spend money on all kinds of stupid crap without getting flak for it. If I even wanted to spend $5 on paintball I got the 3rd degree all of the time. I worked from a young age though. I would work with my grandpa doing masonry during my summers when I was off of school from 6th-11th grades and I would work with my dad doing HVAC work. I would thread gas pipes and get fittings ready for him and do some of the wiring, so I always had a good amount of money to spend and had nice bank account for my age. I never asked my parents for money to play, but they would always give me trouble about paintball. I am 23 years old now, I have a very well paying job, and I live with my fiancee and I still get the 3rd degree from them if they know I am going to play or just bought a new gun or something. My mom doesn't really bother me about it anymore, but when my fiancee told my dad how much my alias cost after she bought it for my 23rd birthday, I thought he was going to have a heart attack and then proceeded to tell I was crazy for owning a gun thats worth more than my car. As a matter a fact, he doesn't even refer to paintball as paintball. He calls it "the stupid game me and all of my homo friends play" or something to that nature.

SlartyBartFast
01-05-2005, 11:47 AM
its not that my rof isnt high enough, just i have a completely stock mag and if i could just get a gas trhough grip and some hoses maybe a new frame

Ahh.

But there's the problem. There's absolutely no LOGICAL argument for any paintball "upgrade".

"Upgrading" in paintball would be as logical as your brother having to buy a new Ipod (as that was your counter example) each and every time they changed the current colour scheme or the capacity increased. Accessories for the Ipod (and stereo equipment) often come with easily demonstrated functions, advantages, and improvements. Except to a paintball junkie, most paintball accessories add value and functions that are only in the eye of the beholder.

Hell, the most popular "upgrade" seems to be changing the annodizing. :rolleyes:

With Mags, you'd be better off trying to line up selling your current Mag and buying a new RTPro or TACOne. Or one of the variations from he dealers.

Twitch04
01-05-2005, 12:27 PM
way i see it if ur not 17 or 18 and driveing yet..your still under there roof there carea and there budget. i would sugest getting their apporval. but if u still dont want to listen go buy a pack of gum...tell them u bought something other then paintball stuff...and go get the paintball item u want.

amrani
01-05-2005, 01:29 PM
i wish i could do something to that nature, twitch, cuz that would mean there is a paintball store near by, but there isnt, so i have to buy off the net, requiring a credit card.

i tried talking to them again, and to my suprise, they had come here and read this thread (they search the histroy on the comp regularly). they saw how much i wanted to get these few things for my marker, and after a small converstation/debate, they agreed to let me spend my money as i please for now.

the ultimatums they gave were as folows though

1. cant spend over 10% of my yearly income on paintball (i asked if playing counted in that
10% and they decided that it should not)

2. i have to keep giving to charity (not realy a problem)

3. i had to give them 2.5% of the money i spent on excess parts (aka upgrades) {it was for
some reason like use of thier credit card that i came up with to really seal the deal}

thanks for all those who helped i really probally would have never come up with that 2.5%
thingy without some of the posts here (the one who said i paid "rent" to my parents got me thinking). if anyone eles has a probelm, try the ultimatiums i stated above, you never know, it might work wonders. :clap:

SlartyBartFast
01-05-2005, 02:06 PM
i wish i could do something to that nature, twitch, cuz that would mean there is a paintball store near by, but there isnt, so i have to buy off the net, requiring a credit card.

You do know that you can get cash cards, right? Same as a credit card but you have to pre-pay.

Or, checks always work...

Considering your bank balance, I'm sure your bank would be happy to discuss alternatives that would get your parents out of your day-to-day finances with you.

amrani
01-05-2005, 03:25 PM
in order to discuss with my bank, id have to get driven there (remember i cant drive yet :( )

ive worked it out, and all is well and i dont need to disobey them