PDA

View Full Version : Need Some RC Car Info

DiSoRdeR
01-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Where can I find out about RC Cars? I want to build one but do not have any experiences with them. Would it be easyer to just build one or buy a kit? Also what are some good websites?

WenULiVeUdiE
01-05-2005, 11:37 PM
I assume this is your first car. Are you looking for a electronic or Nitro? It would be less of a headache if you boughta kit. They are fun to build and well worth it. I think Muz. can help you on this one.

OysterBoy
01-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Im also interested.

hAppy
01-05-2005, 11:59 PM
I got out of PB and getting into RC, I went to rcdrift.com for help on building a car. But most of their help is to help you build a drift car. Matters none, they tell you what you should get for whatever type of racing you will be doing. Great guys, helped me build my car!

t33kyboy
01-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Oh boy! I just ordered my RC car! A team losi xxx-s.

www.towerhobbies.com is suppose to be the pbgear of the RC world.. or so i've heard.

Pate
01-06-2005, 12:05 AM
www.towerhobbies.com is the pbgear.com of the RC world.

About building one, I have seen my bro build 3 different ones. It looks like a heck of alot of fun to build it, then rip down the road. I also learned, it takes time and patience to build and get right.

Kinda late, but I would have reccomended to buy a RTR(Ready to Run) kit then tinker with that and get to learn it, then move on to a BIY(Build it yourself) kit.

Good luck with your RC car! :headbang:

hAppy
01-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Me and t33ky bought cheap cars our first time, and man it was just a waste of money in the long run. Stay AWAY from Tamiyas, JUST STAY AWAY! JUST DO IT! I am getting my HPI Pro 4 in tomorrow! :clap:

Muzikman
01-06-2005, 12:33 AM
I have not raced for over 12 years now, but I still got all my stuff. I use to run all electro and after reading a few mags about a year ago I realized very little has changed.

First, what do you want? Electro or Nitro? Electric is easy to understand and work on. They might not be as fast, but still a lot of fun.

Buy a kit where you have to build the car. Do NOT get an out of a box prebuilt car. These are always junk and always hard to find parts for. They really are not that hard to put together and if you are just going to feel around the house with then, they do not have to be setup perfect. If you plan on racing, I suggest you stop by the local track and watch some racing, walk around the pits and talk to people. The R/C car would is full of great people willing to help. Some might even let you take a car for a test spin.

Muzikman
01-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Me and t33ky bought cheap cars our first time, and man it was just a waste of money in the long run. Stay AWAY from Tamiyas, JUST STAY AWAY! JUST DO IT! I am getting my HPI Pro 4 in tomorrow! :clap:

My very first car was a Tamiya Boomerang. It was a cheap car, but the great part was you could fix the broken parts with ABS pipe glue:) I also had an Avante which was a great little car, but near impossible to find parts for.

DiSoRdeR
01-06-2005, 05:32 PM
I want to go electro. This would be my first "Real" RC car, all the ones I have owned before were those ones from like Toysrus. I would not be racing, although there is a track not to far from me. It would be just to mess around with. Wasnt plaing on getting anything top of the line, just something to build and have fun with.

markoger
01-06-2005, 05:45 PM
www.rccaraction.com has a lot of info also.

WenULiVeUdiE
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I built my first RC car six years ago. It somehow ended up sitting in my basement for those 6 years. When I pulled it out it work perfectly. Everything was just the way I left it. It was an electric Tamiya of some sort. But since you want to go to the track, something like mine would not be suitable. Are you looking for an off or on road car/truck?

Muzikman
01-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Ok, do you want a road car or an off-road car?

DiSoRdeR
01-06-2005, 06:58 PM
I was thinking of an off and on road one. Im going to go to a hobby store this weekend, its a pretty big store. Havent been there inawhile and Im going to look around.

Muzikman
01-06-2005, 07:03 PM
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDAX9&P=0

That's what I would get.
This is basing what I know of Associated products.

DiSoRdeR
01-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Just picked up an RC magazine(RC Driver) and was looking through it and came across the DURATRAX MiniQuake. I really like and it had a review about it, and it got great reviews. Here is a link to it: MiniQuake (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHMC9**&P=ML) It is a RTR and comes with every thing I need which I think is pretty cool.

purple
01-06-2005, 09:46 PM
dude, go with a T-MAXX they are the friggen best trucks for the money, they come pre-assembled and with a radio, and they drive everywhere, i've had mine since dec 99. they have a 2 speed tranny(automatic) and a forward/reverse(you control that, and yeah, it'll go into 2nd gear in reverse, just dont plan on controlling it long) it's nitro, so there is a learning curve, but it comes with a dvd now and it's an all around great truck and parts are cheap if you tap a curb too many times (it'll go up and down em easy, it's a good rock crawler)
just get a T-MAXX, they own. I got out of RC to do PB, but i kept that truck because it's so damn tough! if you like cars try the hpi rs4 3 type ss, very nice car, very durable, has tons of ups out of the box. Yes, i love nitro cars, what of it?
the T-MAXX also has an included electric starter, all you do is plug your starter to the back of the truck, push the botton, and the engine shall start electrically, it's so much better than pulling stupid cords forever and ever

T-MAXX FOREVER

Purple
PM with Q's

skife
01-06-2005, 09:50 PM

tamiya cars = teh shiznit.

very very simple, 9/10ths of them come in kit form.
almoast all hobby shops carry parts for them.

they are great for a beginner RC'er, they teach you the basics of how rc stuff works.

purple
01-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I've had several tamiya, they are underbuilt, have very few ups on them and you almost always have to buy bearing sets for them if you want them to last. the steering geometry is always terrible causing massive bump-steer (push down the car and the wheels turn towards each other)

go with the T-maxx or an HPI, HPI are the best you can buy and almost always come with full bearing sets (liek the tmaxx or rs4 )

Purple

Muzikman
01-07-2005, 12:26 AM
tamiya cars = teh shiznit.

very very simple, 9/10ths of them come in kit form.
almoast all hobby shops carry parts for them.

they are great for a beginner RC'er, they teach you the basics of how rc stuff works.

I agree, my R/C career started with a Tamiya and although once I started racing it was not competitive enough it still took a beating.

skife
01-07-2005, 09:46 AM
I've had several tamiya, they are underbuilt, have very few ups on them and you almost always have to buy bearing sets for them if you want them to last. the steering geometry is always terrible causing massive bump-steer (push down the car and the wheels turn towards each other)

go with the T-maxx or an HPI, HPI are the best you can buy and almost always come with full bearing sets (liek the tmaxx or rs4 )

Purple

of course you get horriable bump steer and have very few ups, but... your buying a beginner car, its simple to build, and cheap, you can get a complete setup for around $120 for a tamiya car.

i perfer losi or assoatied over hpi though, HPI is way over priced.

jwren00
01-07-2005, 06:57 PM
go here:

www.rcuniverse.com

and go to the car forums. The forums there have like 10 times as many posters as AO, it's a huge community and you can get all the info you ever needed. I race 1/8th scale buggies by the way. I don't know much about electric, I've always raced nitro cars. If you ever need help with nitro let me know :headbang:

DiSoRdeR
01-08-2005, 04:52 PM
jwren00 thanks for that link, found alot of good info on it. Ive decided to go with a Team Losi Mini-T or a Team Associated RC18T.

jwren00
01-09-2005, 02:58 PM
those are fun little cars. really fun to race too. find a track near you that races the mini trucks and you will have a lot of fun