PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing DYE's... an RIT question

Burphel
01-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm looking at breaking down and picking up a set of C4 pants so I can get away with not wearing regular kneepads. The thing is I want to be able to use them for woodsball, so I'd like to darken out all the freakin' clown colors. I like DYE's stuff and all, but I ain't getting shot for Dave's ego.

Anyway, has anyone tried using RIT for something like this? I know it's geared more for natural fabrics and that getting the soup too hot might cause problems with the synthetic fabric. Just wanted to see if anybody's tried it and get some guidelines. If I have to, I'll just sew something over the color panels, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Skoad
01-06-2005, 11:30 AM
black duct tape?

AnArchist_1944
01-06-2005, 12:28 PM
^^^He's Not Wrong^^^

Creative Mayhem
01-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Burph, you could prolly just brush a colored paste onto the panels alone, or just run the pants through the wash with the dye added. I can't find my boxes of dye, but if memory serves it actually had directions saying just that. Throw the dye into a wash of hot water, with the clothes/material to be dyed and run it through the wash cycle. They said it may have to repeated or something. I recently moved, so for me to find the box that my dye is in is a lost cause... :(

As far as whether is safe for the synthetics, i run my dye pants through the wash all the time, no damage. I don't know about the C4 pants though, i have the old style of pants(no kneepads) I think the paste idea may be the good idea.

rkjunior303
01-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Burph, you could prolly just brush a colored paste onto the panels alone, or just run the pants through the wash with the dye added. I can't find my boxes of dye, but if memory serves it actually had directions saying just that. Throw the dye into a wash of hot water, with the clothes/material to be dyed and run it through the wash cycle. They said it may have to repeated or something. I recently moved, so for me to find the box that my dye is in is a lost cause... :(

As far as whether is safe for the synthetics, i run my dye pants through the wash all the time, no damage. I don't know about the C4 pants though, i have the old style of pants(no kneepads) I think the paste idea may be the good idea.

Mayhem is right.. wash them in the sink by hand with rit mixed into the water... you may ave to do it a couple times.