PDA

View Full Version : Gated Feed + LVL 7 = ?

hobbesTZ
01-06-2005, 11:15 PM
I was just wondering if the gated feed would help make it possible to effectively use the LVL 7 bolt with a low rise.

Chronobreak
01-06-2005, 11:18 PM
i guess...but arent gated fees overlycomplicated and slow?
hence no one uses them

the epic was a horrible failure...

--edit by gated feed do you mean liek the angels tor educe blowback? hmm i dont really see blowback as the lvl7 issue.

MarkM
01-06-2005, 11:22 PM
The gate can cause problems with the feeding of balls, since the design of the Mag involves a great deal of blowback into the feed neck (it was how the power feeds were able to work) the gate will stop balls flying backup the neck however the resitance of the gate can slow the balls coming into the breech and with a level 7 you will chop...remove the gate and you should be ok but then that kind of defeats what you are trying to do in the first place. So just look to getting a regular low rise feedneck if that is what you want and invest in either a Halo or the Empire version. If you are using an Egg even with a Z board you still get gaps in the feed stream and that is when a LX will come into it's own.

hobbesTZ
01-06-2005, 11:30 PM
That answers that I guess. I just don't really like the LVL 10 so far, all it's done is leak out the barrel. I made the fit with the powertube o-ring looser and it seems to work now, but I'm out of air. It's also a probablem if weather will cause the oring to change its size. It apparently worked in Florida where the guy I got it from resides, but since it's not hot and humid in NH it made it not work as it was setup for FL. If that's the case then it's gonna be a pain in the *** if I have to set it up for 30* weather one day and indoor temps the next.

Evil1
01-07-2005, 03:31 AM
The LX can be quite a headache sometimes. I got mine to work perfectly for about 2 months straight after alot of tinkering and late nights, but then it failed miserably one day and from then on, no matter what I did I could not get it right again. I even bought new orings for it. The best I got was either it leaking down the barrel and not chopping or not leaking down the barrel and it chopping. I never really had problems with the L7 setup as long as I didn't use real brittle paint.

than205
01-07-2005, 09:24 PM
HobbesTZ,

Send the bolt off to BlackVCG to have the stem polished.
I suffered through the same issues your having.
If you don't want to send it him I've got the guys in my shop set up to do it. (For others reference: I offer this to HobbesTZ because he lives nearby, I recommend other to go to BlackVCG. He's a great guy.)
I can't get it as polished as BlackVCG does, but the 2 that I have done have worked tons better.
I seriously recommend this mod.
I haven't chopped paint in a long time. I use a VL2000 to give you an idea how well it works.

Best of luck!

hobbesTZ
01-07-2005, 09:42 PM
I didn't know you had a shop :D

I'd rather have you do it since you're local. But doesn't it have to be a certain version so you can get it apart or something?