PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable tank good for anything other than rapid-fire?

warbeak2099
01-10-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm going to be playing tournies now so rapid-fire's out. I'm still going to get a new tank since my 3k just doesn't give me enough shots per fill. I'll most likely be doing an eframe conversion as well. So, would spending the extra $ for an adjustable be worth it? Or should I just buy a 4500psi HP preset?

Thanks,
Pete

trains are bad
01-10-2005, 10:34 AM
It's not the adjustability that I like about adjustables. It's the fact that they are not screw ins.

I hate bottle orings.

And I need the bleed feature on my dynaflow.

Actually you can adjust the shootup characteristics of the valve somewhat, and most adjustables are also highflowing and fast.

Joni
01-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I think the benifits with a preset outweigh an adjustable. It's easier to remove the tank if you need to work on the marker, it's high-flow enough to keep up at 15-16 bps at least (haven't tested higher), and that's enough for me. Mostly it's the price difference. IMO, there isn't such a big difference in performance to account for the extra $

TRB, there are on/offs with blead functions, like the unimount. There are others. That also helps with the issue of tank orings. If there is no pressure screwing it off, they will last forever.

White_Noise
01-10-2005, 10:07 PM
i prefer my dynaflow compared to any other tank because there is no tank that i can get that close to the frame. even a unimounted screw in cant get in that close just because of the length of the regulator. adjustables are also nice because most presets dont actually achieve the output that they claim to. with an adjustable you can make sure that the valve gets the ~800 psi it needs to recharge quickly. Even on my Emag with the trigger rod removed, i keep the input around 900 so the valve cant starve.

and the same thing as said above, i hate bottle orings, ive blown them even when the marker appeared to be degased and had a bleed off asa on it. ive also had problems with the getting cut on the threads of some asa's. so i made the switch to the dynaflow. acrewins are about $190 or so for a good 68/4500, and in my opinion its worth the 60-70 more dollars to get a dynaflow or other adjustable.

a note about air usage. my friend uses a mech rt for playing and plays back with a 68/3000 tank. he has dropped 4 pods and halo and still had 1500 remaining in the tank.

trains are bad
01-10-2005, 10:12 PM
It's easier to remove the tank if you need to work on the marker,

dynaflow: pop QD, turn knob, slide off dovetail.

screw in: turn on/off asa several turns to turn off, pop slide check, screw tank out several turns

whatever.

warbeak2099
01-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Ok, I'll have to bite the bullet and get an adjustable. It would most likely cost just as much as getting a preset and installing a higher pressure spring. I'm thinking new Dynaflow off of ebay for around $200-250. I've also seen some used geddons go for $120-200 on classifieds. Is buying one of those a bad idea or are they pretty reliable even when old? I mean, $120 is a great price but what condition are those in after 3 years? Really I'd like to get either a flatline, air anmerica, or centerflag. Any suggestions on what I should look out for?

Flow_Tech
01-11-2005, 12:35 PM
id much rather prefer having my old dynaflow over this Crossfire now..mainly because the reg was lighter,and it was just eaiser to take care of.

Shane-O-Mac
01-11-2005, 01:30 PM
'Geddons are just as good used as new, as long as they were taken care of. And Air America will stll warranty it no matter how old it is. so buy away, as long as its complete, and the bottle is in hydro.

Shane-O

MicroMiniMe
01-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Shane should be preaching about the new AA screw-ins. Have some very nice features. Otherwise the only complaint I ever read about the Geddons was the reg was mostly stainless. So a used one should be in very good shape. But all that stainless steel isn't as light as the mostly aluminum reg adjustables previously listed. Noone will ever complain about any AA performance or customer service though, great guys and great company. Solid products.

Edit/
With an adjustable tank you can also eliminate any mech bounce any tournament/scenario deems not legal. Some places get real picky I guess.

warbeak2099
01-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Very cool. Weight isn't #1 to me (although it is a +) so I think I'll go AA. I have heard from my local pro shop that they need to be serviced frequently. I'm not sure if he meant rebuilds on the reg or minor replacement parts. Any truth?

dahvaio
01-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Check Ebay every once in awhile... You can find a brand new AA Armageddon 68/4500 for under $200....

Shane-O-Mac
01-13-2005, 12:09 AM
Not true......
'Geddons dont not need to be serviced are more frequently than any other adjustable system. But it is the easiest system to service, unscrew the tank, pop the internals out. Just pop out the internals, by pushing the adjuster in, and Viola!, internals are out. clean and relube with regular airgun oil, and insert internals back in. Takes me 3-5 minutes. i do it to my system about twice a year, more if i go play in dusty, sandy conditions. And it is also the easiest system to rebuild/service, pop out the internals, 2 o-rings to replace, and relube and insert it back in the sleeve. Thats it to service.

As for the new screw-ins, they should be coming soon, no solid timeline or date yet.....

Shane-O

warbeak2099
01-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Easy to service? Well, sounds right up my alley. One reason i got a mag.