PDA

View Full Version : egg shells

Eric Cartman
01-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Has anyone got the newer shells for the eVLution 11 hopper (the ones that use rivets instead of screws for the lid)? They're supposed to be better and they're reinforced around the screw holes. They've changed the battery lids as well.
Just wondering if there's actually any improvement or if it's still the same sub-par quality.

Little_Ho
01-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Hi
i can let you know in a couple of days. I got them from eBay and they should be deliverd this week.

Little_Ho

Tim Taylor
01-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, what's the verdict. Is it worth the upgrade, is the shell better? Inquiring minds want to know.

nato
01-18-2005, 12:07 PM
are those guys ever gonna use good soft plastic or is it always gonna be this glossy/cracking crap?

N.A.T.O.

RRfireblade
01-18-2005, 12:20 PM
are those guys ever gonna use good soft plastic or is it always gonna be this glossy/cracking crap?

N.A.T.O.

It's not just them unfortunately. It seems like Halos,Reloader B's and Evo are all made the same. I ordered half a dozen Halo/ReB body kits this last week alone. Not to mention lids for both.I've had some come broken brand new in the box on all three.

It's really a shame. I'm guessing alumimum shells are the answer. :D

nato
01-18-2005, 12:37 PM
yea, Im thinking that if no one sues, someone could make a killing taking some molds and making some halo shells with the good stuff. I have always wanted to but I am not very good with that type of stuff. I can understand that the guys want to make money but why cant there be more companies out there with the same mentality as AGD.

N.A.T.O.

RRfireblade
01-18-2005, 12:55 PM
I agree.

And not that it changes anything but as for VL, with whom I work very closely,they have a very specific blend for the plastic they 'intend' to use.However, that process get's shopped out and you don't get to know if they got it right till the parts start breaking and when.

Eric Cartman
01-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Well, what's the verdict. Is it worth the upgrade, is the shell better? Inquiring minds want to know.

Well I just picked them up a few days ago, but have not played with them yet (probably won't for a while either - it's too freakin' cold out). I'll say this much, they do appear to be reinforced around the screw holes. The new battery cover has a sort of springy piece which holds the batteries up snugly that looks like a better system than the previous covers. I'd imagine they'll be less likely to break. The hopper lid no longer uses screws. They use rivets now, however the store was sold out of the rivets, so I can't comment on them.

I'm with Fireblade on the aluminum idea. ;) Two new shells & the battery cover cost me just under $30.00 CAD after tax... I wouldn't have to replace them too many times to justify the extra cost of shells made of some decent material. Ceramic maybe? How 'bout oak? :D

nato
01-18-2005, 07:46 PM
carbon fiber would make most sense to me... really light and Im sure it could hold its form.

N.A.T.O.

Enemy
01-19-2005, 03:22 AM
pricey but def. an option!! or even fiber glass the body kit quality will come close enough!! my halo shells seem to be holding though they do have cracks its deff a step up from veiwloaders!!

magmanl337
01-19-2005, 03:28 AM
I have never broken a hopper in my life.

robb2269
01-19-2005, 10:03 AM
I have the new shell and it seems better than my older one but not huge differnce. Plus if they made an indistructable shell you would only need one. This way everyone has 2 or 3. Makes more profit.

jackbauer
01-19-2005, 10:07 AM
^^^^^ditto^^^^^

if the loaders were unbreakable, then the companies would never have to sell you another one again. doesnt make for good business since.

Eric Cartman
01-19-2005, 10:30 AM
^^^^^ditto^^^^^

if the loaders were unbreakable, then the companies would never have to sell you another one again. doesnt make for good business since.

So you feel it's good business sense to make poor quality products that break frequently to increase parts sales? I have to disagree with that. While it may increase the sales of the parts needed to fix the product, it will give the company a poor reputation and reduce the sales of the product as a whole, as well as making consumers skeptical about any new products they put out. I've been using Viewloader products for years without any trouble, but since purchasing my egg, I've been very dissapointed with the quality. I emailed Viewloader with a complaint and have received no response. I will not buy another Viewloader product. As soon as I can afford a Halo, I'll be purchasing that instead. Just as my first new vehicle purchase has ensured that I'll never be stupid enough to purchase another Chrysler product. Poor quality is a sure way to lose my business.

nato
01-19-2005, 10:50 AM
This reminds me of the cars America used to have. The American manufacturers of cars would make vehicles that would only last 5 years or so. When cars began to come from Japan lasting 100,000 miles + the U.S. companies realised that they couldn't keep on making cars like that.

If there could be a company in paintball that is as mainstream as bob longs company and builds products with quality like how AGD does, every other company out there would have to start making products that were worth buying in the long run or probably go out of business.

N.A.T.O.

Automaggot68
01-19-2005, 10:53 AM
I have never broken a hopper in my life.

What about the time you threw it at a tree?

edit: nevermind, that was your mask

Yeha, I've never broken a hopper either.

robb2269
01-19-2005, 10:54 AM
I did not say that was or is a good business practice. If you made an product that never broke it would be great for us but unfortunely they has to be aceptable quality control as for any company there is no such thing as perfect anything. I have heard stories of just about everything being broke out of the box. Personally I have never had any problem with my 2 eggs or rev that was not caused by a slide or fall. Call them they have good customer service from what I'm told plus they make every part available so you dont have to buy a whole new loader. As far as Halo there a good loader too but they to have a qualty control limits. Costs and profits make the limits too much cost verse acceptable loss make price and quality control. Personaly I will never buy a Toyota again but others swear by them. Good luck do the best with what you got.

nato
01-19-2005, 10:57 AM
If you play good competitive paintball then you shouldnt be saying that. I go through a new halo shell about twice a month. Between the hopper getting lit up and impact from superman dives it gets torn to pieces. And its not like I land on my hopper... infact not one part of my gun touches the ground as I dive except for possibly my tank. It just pisses me off. :tard: :wow: :tard:

Maybe strengthen whats already there by taping it before you use it... kinda like taping glass windows to keep them from shattering?

N.A.T.O.

RRfireblade
01-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah, tha't the real problem if you ask me. You don't actually have to break any of them,they just start to crack on thier own.

I have a Clear Halo that I have for a backup,6 months old or so and it's NEVER been on a gun.I pulled out of the box a week or so ago and it has fine cracks starting at some of the stress joints and on the inner feed cup where the screws are.

That just plain sucks....at any price.

robb2269
01-19-2005, 11:08 AM
like someone said maybe carbon fiber is the way to go with light weight and strentgh. Even though youu dont hit anything the force of snaping jurking when you hit the ground such as a superman dive is still there not as bad as if you hit but still there. All I was saying is all loaders have a quaility limit and he will find the same with Halo. Maybe not just my thoughts. Who do you aim for the back player who needs speed and size or the front player that needs a compact, durablity and speed? Then some people want colors, beeping counters spin forward, backwards, lcd, led, and style all these in one loader will be exspensive and you or might not want all of that.

robb2269
01-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah, tha't the real problem if you ask me. You don't actually have to break any of them,they just start to crack on thier own.

I have a Clear Halo that I have for a backup,6 months old or so and it's NEVER been on a gun.I pulled out of the box a week or so ago and it has fine cracks starting at some of the stress joints and on the inner feed cup where the screws are.

That just plain sucks....at any price.

That does suck I never had a Halo I only had Richochet, Rev's and Eggs. I see them at the fields though. I always thought they were too prices and my egg keeps up with me. Good luck with you Halo.

skife
01-19-2005, 11:48 AM
someone should make a hopper out of ABS plastic (the same stuff football helmets are made of) or maybe a lexan or something, who knows.

Eric Cartman
01-19-2005, 12:58 PM
I did not say that was or is a good business practice.

Never said you did bud. I was quoting jackbauer ;)

... Personally I have never had any problem with my 2 eggs or rev that was not caused by a slide or fall. Call them they have good customer service from what I'm told plus they make every part available so you dont have to buy a whole new loader...

Just to be clear, I'm 34 with osgoode schlatters in one knee and a bad back. I don't dive or slide for anyone / anything... falling? well ya - I do that every now and then :D
I've never brokeen a hopper from that. I find that, like Fireblade said, the shells start cracking for no particular reason - particularly around the raceways. I consider that to be a quality issue and the new shells don't appear to be any beter than the old shells in that area.
As far as their customer service goes, as I said, I sent them an email which received no response. The email was polite and well worded praising my earlier experiences with their products and asking what they intended to do to address the problems I am experiencing now. Some people say that it's better to call than email, but if that's the case, then they shouldn't have an email link on their website. I'm not about to pay long distance charges on my cell phone to call them because they won't respond to my email. That tells me everything I need to know about their customer service and in my opinion it is poor.

...Good luck do the best with what you got.

Thanks. I will :cheers: