PDA

View Full Version : Intrested in a Tac-One

BaronSniper
01-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Here is a quick profile of me.

I have a Spyder Victor 2 (great marker for the money) and decide I want to get all the way into Paintball. I’ll be more of the out-door and woodsball player. I’m also a natural sniper so that’s something I’ll do on and off. When I play I’m not a ‘spray and pray’ type though I have been in those situations, so something that could help me threw that is appreciated as well.

So other than an A-5 do you have any sugestions on a marker I should get for around $450-$500 (with needed upgrades)

I'm looking for the following attributes in order
Reliability
Accuracy
Something I don't have to upgrade much
Range
Sound it makes (for when I'm in sniper mode)
BPS

I like the Tac-One but the website doesn't give much info about it. I'm wondering if thats the marker for me.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Baron

Lohman446
01-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Here is a quick profile of me.

I have a Spyder Victor 2 (great marker for the money) and decide I want to get all the way into Paintball. I’ll be more of the out-door and woodsball player. I’m also a natural sniper so that’s something I’ll do on and off. When I play I’m not a ‘spray and pray’ type though I have been in those situations, so something that could help me threw that is appreciated as well.

So other than an A-5 do you have any sugestions on a marker I should get for around $450-$500 (with needed upgrades)

I'm looking for the following attributes in order

Reliability Once you have the X-valve tuned in both the mag and Tippman are going to be a very reliable marker. I don't think you are going to get many points here for either over the other. The one complaint I have about the A5 is the inability to change hoppers (or pain to do so) however, it also comes with a hopper so this is a toss up.

Accuracy - Accuracy is a factor of paint to barrel match, paint type, and consistancy of the marker. Neither the Tippman or the X-valve are the most consistant system in the world (there not bad, like 10 foot per second variations in what i have used). There is no gain for either in accuracy department IMHO.

Something I don't have to upgrade much The Tac-One wins here. Good barrel, good hopper (granted the A5 comes with one), good air source (must be nitro/HPA for X-valve) and the Tac-One is done. No upgrades are really available.

Range Range is an effect of speed - unless you are discussing a flatline barrel (or similar backspin modification or theory) no marker shoots further than the other with all other things being equal. It is a simple question of physics really. The flatline barrel does give you more range, but the effectiveness of that range is debatable

Sound it makes (for when I'm in sniper mode) ?? Your going to have to listen to both, again a function of barrel I assume you will find more choices in barrels for the mag (uses Cocker threads)

BPS In legal firing modes the Tac-One is faster I think because of the trigger pull weight (comparing stock to stock)... if your talking of going into reactive you have the Tippman RT mode or putting high input pressure (an adjsutable tank) to the Mag to get insane rates of fire.

The only note you should be aware of is the Tac-One REQUIRES use of nitrogen and will not work with CO2

Don't know if that answered your question, my advice is to use one of each, and see which one you like more

brianlojeck
01-11-2005, 03:00 PM
sorry Lohman, have to disagree with you on a couple points.:

>Reliability Once you have the X-valve tuned in both the mag and Tippman are going to be >a very reliable marker.

This is true, but it's that tuning of the x-valve that's a real pain in the ***. Mine still isn't working "reliably", and takes quite a bit of fussing before every day of play. An a-5 will work out of the box, pretty much forever, without hardly any fussing at all.

>Something I don't have to upgrade much The Tac-One wins here.

hell no. The a-5 box set comes with everything you need. There are add-ons available, but none are needed at all. The tac-one needs an expensive air system and a powered hopper (and doesn't even come with a barrel?), the a-5 runs on c02 and has it's own powered hopper built in, and comes with a halfway decent barrel)

a-5 is a big winner here.

>Sound it makes (for when I'm in sniper mode) ??

I find the a-5 is a bit more rattly sounding, but the mag isn't quiet either. not that it matters in speedball. ;-)

>Don't know if that answered your question, my advice is to use one of each, and see which >one you like more

agreed.

the biggest difference is the length of the 'gun. the tac-one is a lot smaller then an a-5, and you'll hold it differently. both are good guns, try 'em both.

Mr. Mouse
01-11-2005, 03:03 PM
id get the mag , all tippmann upgrades you only get from the company, there are very few companys that sell anything for a tippmann a-5, at least with the mag you have some choices, and id go with the mag anyway because in my opinion i think there better then tippmanns and more reliable, well except for the 98 might have better reliability but thats besides the point, and mag's you have all sorts of modifications you can do to them while tippmann has only a few

peewee
01-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Well written Lohman. About covers it. Maintenance on them is about the same. I own an A5 & really like it. Also have a ULE which is very similar to the Tac one except for looks. Both are great. You will be able to step into an A5 cheaper, The tac one can take a harder beating . Powdercoat on the A5 will chip. Hope this didnt muddy the waters.

Automaggot68
01-11-2005, 03:16 PM
id get the mag , all tippmann upgrades you only get from the company, there are very few companys that sell anything for a tippmann a-5, at least with the mag you have some choices, and id go with the mag anyway because in my opinion i think there better then tippmanns and more reliable, well except for the 98 might have better reliability but thats besides the point, and mag's you have all sorts of modifications you can do to them while tippmann has only a few

Uhm, the fact that you cant get Tippy updgrades from ay other company is VERY false.

Glickman
01-11-2005, 03:57 PM
i would say get the A5.

It always works right outta the case, the hopper is always ready, no batteries, and the rt is just plain fun to shoot

the only thing that i see as a con is that its a gas hog

Chronobreak
01-11-2005, 04:41 PM
get the tac its a better gun and is less likely to chop.

a tac one is slimmer and faily easy to control comapred to the a-5

i would say get a custom 98 before an a-5 myself.

get the mag check the link/s in my sig for good tac prices

in the long run i think youl be ebtter with the tac one and a good nitro system.

a-5 are also gas hogs

also wanted to add tac ones ARE more consistent than tippmans ..atleast in my experiences

Recon by Fire
01-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Some paintball outlaws I play with pretty much all have Tippmans, a few 98's but mostly A-5's. I use my Tac-One. They are more impressed by the Tac-One than by their best A-5.

My views:
Mags are more reliable than Tippmans.
Tac-One is quiter than A-5/98 w/flatline barrel.
Tac-One has higher ROF.
Tac-One doesn't need upgrades.

Not much to consider here, I say the choice is obvious :)

space_weazel_45
01-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I have owned both, the tippmann sounded and felt like a spyder/clone because that’s the system its biased on, the mag has its own unique feel but it feels a lot tighter and better built, this is a function of design and tolerances. Yes the mag needs more stuff initially but they are items you can carry from gun to gun should you in the future decide to change guns again,

The mag valve system is very simple, and if you can’t tune it you are either missing something, don’t fully understand the system, or for some reason a part it not right and can be replaced under warranty from AGD.

On a side: I sold my A-5

nippinout
01-11-2005, 05:18 PM
The AGD guns just don't fail. They are rock solid and can withstand lots of abuse. But don't go putting your mag into a wood chipper.

The only paintball sniper that I know of is Jeremy Salm. :ninja: :rofl:

You will need a compressed air tank though. CO2 does not give you stable pressures, and the X-Valve is compressed air only.

Enemy
01-11-2005, 05:18 PM
lvl 10 isnt that hard to setup but you do need to replace the orings on it on occasion!! but my lvl 10 works so well i dont even use the ace on my x-mag!!