PDA

View Full Version : Dwell for Electric conversion Mag

garto
01-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey everyone, I own a classic mag of which i put a ULT into and put a spyder e-frame on. Anyways the board is just way tooo slow for me right now. 13 caps, i hit it all the time. Now I'm learning pbasic and I'm currently making a new board for it and I'm trying to figure out what i need for the dwell of the solenoid. If you are curious the dwell in this instance is how long the trigger is depressed on a normal mag. I pretty much have everything set and I'm just waiting for a few more parts to arrive before i program the basic stamp and this is the last bit of information i need.
I know the old hyperframes used to eat up bolts all the time, so I'm trying to get away from that and I just need to know why it ate up the bolt and which setting of dwell would help me. Also on my board dwell will be measured in milliseconds with 0 being no activation at all and 1 being 1 millisecond.....
Thanks,
Chris

trains are bad
01-11-2005, 08:35 PM
about 8ms will trip the sear on my marker. I think spyder frames are 10ms.

I used to run 8ms and you could see where the bolt rubbed the sear as it returned to battery. I have since increased my dwell to 20ms per the electrician's advice. I haven't done any further testing on bolt wear but it didn't slow down the firing at all and works fine for now.

I have heard that Emags use 20ms dwell.

garto
01-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Thank you. Also I'm using a basic stamp 1 chip and I'm planning to run it where the board checks for a button press and if detected then it trips the sear holds it for the dwell then releases it and loops. I was just wondering if this is the most effective way or not, i dont care for extra modes as well just a set and forget thing. Any advice is welcom.
Thanks

trains are bad
01-11-2005, 09:03 PM
you might need a holdoff setting after the dwell, to let the marker recover/ the chamber to recharge. My board came at 15ms and I haven't changed it.

the electrician
01-11-2005, 09:08 PM
I would not recommend energizing the solenoid for less than 20 msec.
I am currently using 30 msec on my classic valved electro-mag.

it's really about how long the sear stays down. if it comes back up too soon, it will run into the bolt before the bolt comes back all the way. then it will "chip" at the catch edge of the bolt.

more info on electro-conversions can be found in the workshop forum.