PDA

View Full Version : command prompt

master_alexander
01-11-2005, 10:44 PM
i broke out my old laptop from my attic and was supriseed it still worked.
i went into the command rompt and started screwing around and then searched on the internet to look for commands i could do but i didn't find annything. so could you help me out? i dot' care what it does to the computer either.

Miscue
01-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Urm... look for DOS commands.

Out of curiousity, how old are you?

BobTheCow
01-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Oh good god... I'm at the complete other end of the spectrum from "computer nerd," but DOS isn't really THAT old, is it?!?!?

Miscue
01-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Oh good god... I'm at the complete other end of the spectrum from "computer nerd," but DOS isn't really THAT old, is it?!?!?

You know, that's what I was thinking when I asked his age. :p

Target Practice
01-11-2005, 11:09 PM
I remember having to boot programs with DOS, and I'm pretty much completely computer inept...Hell, I still use it on the very rare occasion. VERY rare.

BobTheCow
01-11-2005, 11:11 PM
You know, that's what I was thinking when I asked his age. :pYes, but you're much closer to the "computer nerd" end than I am. ;)

Muzikman
01-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Well, DOS pretty much died with Win 95, but even before then, mane people who were average computer users used the Win 3.1 /3.11 shell to do most things, so even then they were shielded from DOS. So needing to actually use DOS could date back as far as 91 or so.

You will be hard pressed to actually do something with an old DOS machine these days.

master_alexander
01-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Urm... look for DOS commands.

Out of curiousity, how old are you?

i am 14 years old.

i found out about dos in this good for nothing stupid class last year called tech-ed, the only good things that came out of it were learning dos and a computer powered robot. i accidentally went into the schools mainframe database thingey (word slips my mind) and erased all of his grade files fr the day, then i found out what i was doing and quit it. i could have seriously gotted screwed that day but they never found out. horray for me i was lucky.

Miscue
01-11-2005, 11:44 PM
i am 14 years old.

i found out about dos in this good for nothing stupid class last year called tech-ed, the only good things that came out of it were learning dos and a computer powered robot. i accidentally went into the schools mainframe database thingey (word slips my mind) and erased all of his grade files fr the day, then i found out what i was doing and quit it. i could have seriously gotted screwed that day but they never found out. horray for me i was lucky.

Hurm... now that I think of it, I've used DOS since before you were born. I guess DOS is old. :p

master_alexander
01-11-2005, 11:46 PM
yeah and i just sarted up again. i am going to delete all the files on that computer, it can't even open word it's so slow.

pbzmag
01-12-2005, 12:41 AM
I remember playing with DOS 3.3 on my Tandy 1000SL... with no HD!!! This was back around mid-late 80's.

rkjunior303
01-12-2005, 01:06 AM
most people dont even know you can type 'command' in "run" and get a pseudo-dos prompt....

I still have a copy of Windows 286 here.

pbzmag
01-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Found a link (http://www.levenez.com/windows/history.html#03) to the DOS timeline that includes Windows.

Muzikman
01-12-2005, 02:15 AM
I have a Copy of PC-DOS 1.1. This was the version of DOS that came with the IBM PC in 1981.

I loved DOS. I have many fond memories of DOS. Some of my best computer experiances were in DOS. Hell, when I was in college I took an "Operating Systems" class. I was a very low level class that taught how an OS worked. They used Unix and DOS to explain it. I was correcting the instructor all the time. It came to the point where he would say something and then look at me to see if he was right. I say bring back DOS and if you really need to multi-Task, run Desqview.

Target Practice
01-12-2005, 03:27 AM
Muz, you bringing up 3.1 brougt back fond memories of Skifree and Wintris. Thank you.

digitard
01-12-2005, 04:55 AM
This is my favorite 'Windows History' link...

http://members.fortunecity.com/pcmuseum/windows.htm

I remember seeing it back a few years ago at Insight and sorta amused by the timeline and things.

I mean 'Windows 1.0' was released in 85. Its been almost 20yrs.

Bolter
01-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Im still trying to get my head around the fact that some folk don't know life without computers!

MindJob
01-12-2005, 10:39 AM
It's amazing how far Operating Systems have come, and how quickly.

Could you imagine Mr. Joe Average PC User trying to install hardware without plug and play?

Open up a command prompt to the average user and all of a sudden you are a 'computer expert' LOL

Muzikman
01-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Up until 2000/XP and UBS devices, I still perfered none plug and play devices where I got to change the jumpers for IRQs.

brianlojeck
01-12-2005, 11:43 AM
I miss the days when you could make your computer run faster by switching the display to black and white.

when you quit windows (3.1) to do any real work.

but I'm glad I wasn't a professional back then. ;-)

as for a dos command, try

dir /s/a

that should show you a list of all the files on your drive.

Mango
01-12-2005, 11:51 AM
http://www.sprayingmango.com/laugh.gif http://www.sprayingmango.com/laugh.gif http://www.sprayingmango.com/laugh.gif http://www.sprayingmango.com/laugh.gif http://www.sprayingmango.com/laugh.gif Damn I feel OLD!

brianlojeck
01-12-2005, 03:01 PM
remember when the best-practice to make your computer totally virus-proof was to always boot off of a write-protected floppy, and never put system files on your hard drive, and people accepted this as a really good idea? ;-)

when you had a different boot floppy for different uses, like a gaming one, a networked one, etc...?

when viruses did something funny before they screwed up your system? (like you got to watch roaches crawl around, or a russian soldier would flip you off before the system died)

I'm with mango... I feel so old...

personman
01-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I can seriously remeber using dos in kindergarden.. lol :headbang:

One thing I distinctly remember was there was a kid named demitri or something and I was like
"hm.. demitri... deltree?"
:dance:

gimp
01-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Muz, you bringing up 3.1 brougt back fond memories of Skifree and Wintris. Thank you.

Got me thinking. Does anyone know where I could find a copy of SkiFree and Chips Challenge that would work now? Those games were awesome! I've still got my old computers lying around but I don't feel like lugging the out and hooking them up.

BobTheCow
01-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Got me thinking. Does anyone know where I could find a copy of SkiFree and Chips Challenge that would work now? Those games were awesome! I've still got my old computers lying around but I don't feel like lugging the out and hooking them up.Ski.exe (http://isnoop.net/sa/ski.exe) http://img81.exs.cx/img81/2613/emoteng1010sf.gif

OysterBoy
01-12-2005, 05:18 PM
i am 14 years old.

Translation: is 13 years old.

master_alexander
01-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Translation: is 13 years old.

what do you mean? i don't get it.

personman
01-12-2005, 06:14 PM
He's trying to be funny. :)

master_alexander
01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
He's trying to be funny. :)

oh. to let you know it's not working.
but dancing bannanas work....

.... :dance: :dance: :dance:

shatter_storm
01-12-2005, 09:59 PM
DOS is still current curriculum at my school, unfortunatly. Microcomputer Hardware 1 has you making boot floppies, installing CDROM drivers, editing autoexec.bat, loading himem.sys, connecting to a novell network, all sorts of boring and stupid stuff.

MantisMag
01-13-2005, 12:13 AM
*sigh* i remember the first computer i ever used had no monitor. you had to hook it up to your tv. the computer was located under the keyboard. the floppy drive was housed seperately. floppies were 5 1/4" big and the disk inside was exposed. the drive had a latch on the front that held the disk in. it wasn't spring loaded like the ones you have now. there was no hard drive. everything was on that floppy that held 160K. it had 64K of RAM and ran at a blazing fast 1 MHz. 16 colors at 320x200 resolution. i miss that computer. i spent a lot of quality time with my dad and that computer. :)

brianlojeck
01-13-2005, 01:28 AM
DOS is still current curriculum at my school, unfortunatly. Microcomputer Hardware 1 has you making boot floppies, installing CDROM drivers, editing autoexec.bat, loading himem.sys, connecting to a novell network, all sorts of boring and stupid stuff.

That's only dull and stupid until you find yourself in a company with a novell network and the VP of sales win2k station dies with his only copy of the big sales report, and you have to put together a boot floppy with the right drivers to read the NTFS disk to save the day and not get fired.

and yes, there's still quite a bit of novell in the business world.

Muzikman
01-13-2005, 01:36 AM
*sigh* i remember the first computer i ever used had no monitor. you had to hook it up to your tv. the computer was located under the keyboard. the floppy drive was housed seperately. floppies were 5 1/4" big and the disk inside was exposed. the drive had a latch on the front that held the disk in. it wasn't spring loaded like the ones you have now. there was no hard drive. everything was on that floppy that held 160K. it had 64K of RAM and ran at a blazing fast 1 MHz. 16 colors at 320x200 resolution. i miss that computer. i spent a lot of quality time with my dad and that computer. :)

That sounds a lot like a C64 or C128. Maybe a CoCo or TRS80.

(BTW, I had all those:))

Target Practice
01-13-2005, 01:58 AM
You know, Windows 3.11 for workgroups runs AWESOME with 1.3 gigs of Kingston Hyperthreaded RAM.

Don't ask how I know that...:D

Muzikman
01-13-2005, 02:09 AM
Now fire up Trumpet WinSock and Mosaic and go to town on the internet

Target Practice
01-13-2005, 02:22 AM
Now fire up Trumpet WinSock and Mosaic and go to town on the internet

If you can find me a download link for those, I'd be more than happy to. Does it matter if I have cable? Edjamakate me, will ya'?

Muzikman
01-13-2005, 02:27 AM
Yeah, they never made a tcp/ip socket for ethernet connections, so unless you can h4x0r it, I doubt it would work.

I'll look for a link though;)

Muzikman
01-13-2005, 02:31 AM
ftp://ftp.ecsis.net/pub/netuser/win3.x/mosaic21.exe <-- there is Mosaic (This was the first GUI web browser. As a matter of fact, if you look at the "About" screen in IE, they reference it.)

This is an interesting site. It's got a lot of 16bit apps. http://www.ecsis.net/pub/netuser/win3x.htm

There is Trumpet WinSock http://www.winplanet.com/file/11542.htm

Target Practice
01-13-2005, 02:31 AM
Yeah, they never made a tcp/ip socket for ethernet connections, so unless you can h4x0r it, I doubt it would work.

I'll look for a link though;)

Well, crap. How hard would be the h4x0r1ng be? It would be an awesome thing to have on the spare HDD.

MantisMag
01-13-2005, 01:57 PM
That sounds a lot like a C64 or C128. Maybe a CoCo or TRS80.

(BTW, I had all those:))
C64. the giveaway is the 64K of RAM :p :D