PDA

View Full Version : A new Idea for the B/S/T Forums

tyrion2323
01-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Here's a new idea:

Why not structure the B/S/T forums so that all threads are easily readable and similar? Whenever someone wants to sell their marker, they click "NEW SALE" and fill out the forms:

MAKE:
MODEL:
YEAR:
COLOR:
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: (there are 10 lines for upgrades)
DAMAGE, IMPERFECTIONS: (there are 10 lines for upgrades)
ADDITIONAL ITEMS: (there are 10 lines for upgrades)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
PRICE:
PICTURES: (an upload feature is offered here, hosting up to 3 pictures under 250 megs each)

These information brackets would be organized to create a title and thread automatically.
This would help eliminate the obnoxious, "MUST SEE CRAZY CHEATER GAT HK!!!!!" threads, and would present our B/S/T forums in a way which facilitates both selling and buying.

So, when shopping for, say, an Angel, I might open up a thread and see:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2002 Dust Red Angel LCD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2002 WDP Angel LCD
Dust Red
Freak barrel kit, upgraded RAM, AIM unimount, CP Regulator, WAS eyes
Slightly scratched on left side, small scratch on ASA
This marker was used by Rodney Squires before they picked up the SP sponsor.
$550

Lemme know what you think

Chronobreak
01-12-2005, 12:46 AM
great idea lets do it :cheers:

Skywalker
01-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Me likey!!!

mobius
01-12-2005, 12:59 AM
Sounds like a great idea!

space_weazel_45
01-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Thank You!

ScatterPlot
01-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Love it. Shopping for stuff is so hard when all I see is "Sweet upped doohickey for sale +extras!!!" then I have to sift through the whole post to see what all it comes with, how much, etc.

Mods-Immediately enforce this rule. Need help? Make me and tyrion mods. We can handle it. :D

Jackel411
01-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Yeah but what if its a multiple gun listing...

Thats a quick way to cludge up the bandwith.. say a guy is selling 10 guns now thats 10 posts instead of one post with 10 guns... Great Idea needs refinements

RingOfScale
01-12-2005, 01:47 AM
just make it have space for multiple markers in one post, maybe up to 3 or something, and it would be sweet

Conversekidz
01-12-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah but what if its a multiple gun listing...

Thats a quick way to cludge up the bandwith.. say a guy is selling 10 guns now thats 10 posts instead of one post with 10 guns... Great Idea needs refinements

How often does that really happen?

'I could see 3 guns a post working.

tyrion2323
01-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Glad to see that people are liking it =)

I'm not sure what programming codes or languages might be necessary for this, but I'm sure that it must be possible. Does anyone have anymore information about this sort of thing?

Jacob

TheTramp
01-12-2005, 12:26 PM
You could even do a cut and paste thing if you wanted to have more than one gun per thread.

-Tab
01-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Love it. Shopping for stuff is so hard when all I see is "Sweet upped doohickey for sale +extras!!!" then I have to sift through the whole post to see what all it comes with, how much, etc.

Mods-Immediately enforce this rule. Need help? Make me and tyrion mods. We can handle it. :D

agreed

great idea

B.A.M.
01-12-2005, 06:36 PM
sounds like a good idea. Deffinatly would make it easyer to read

68magOwner
01-12-2005, 07:10 PM
i wouldnt mind it

Automaggot68
01-12-2005, 07:45 PM
PICTURES: (an upload feature is offered here, hosting up to 3 pictures under 250 megs each)

These information brackets would be organized to create a title and thread automatically.
This would help eliminate the obnoxious, "MUST SEE CRAZY CHEATER GAT HK!!!!!" threads, and would present our B/S/T forums in a way which facilitates both selling and buying.

Uhm, I can't say that i've ever seen a thread like that on AO.
PBN, yes, AO, no.

FallNAngel
01-12-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm not quite sure I follow you...

Do you mean that it would automagically make the thread based on what you entered in? Such as:

Make: Warped Sportz
Model: Dark Angel LCD
Year: 2000

Would make a subject of something like: "F/S 2000 Warped Sportz Dark Angel LCD" ??

If so, what's to prevent people from putting in:
Make: Uber 1337 HK
Model: Angel LCD Machine Gun of Death
Year: New

and getting a title of "F/S New Uber 1337 HK Angel LCD Machine Gun of Death" or just entering that information under "Additional Information" ?

All in all, a good idea, but I don't see how it can be implemented without someone being able to get around it easily.

master_alexander
01-12-2005, 09:28 PM
as said above that would be a small problem but otherwise it is genius.

all ideas from the start have minor problems.

tyrion2323
01-12-2005, 10:12 PM
FallnAngel: You have a good point. The only idea in my head at the moment is that there could be a drop-down menu system...

Either that or increased mod-supervision, which would be a pain in the butt!

68magOwner
01-12-2005, 10:16 PM
drop down menu wouldnt work with all the variations in markers, i mean, i saw a E-bladed PGP up for sale the other day.....doubt that would be a standard menu option

tyrion2323
01-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Uhm, I can't say that i've ever seen a thread like that on AO.
PBN, yes, AO, no.

Automaggot, allow me to introduce you to the NEW AO forums....

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157542

Cliffio
01-12-2005, 10:51 PM
paintballcity use to be like that

Automaggot68
01-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Automaggot, allow me to introduce you to the NEW AO forums....

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157542

You linked me to.....
One Thread
How does that represent the AO BST Forumn as a whole?

TeamNausea
01-12-2005, 11:09 PM
You said AO didnt have any...he proved you wrong

tony3
01-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Awesome, just expand on the idea more, also allow you to upload your own pics from other sites. Add Trades along with that. Contact info would be good aswell.

FallNAngel
01-13-2005, 02:21 AM
FallnAngel: You have a good point. The only idea in my head at the moment is that there could be a drop-down menu system...

Either that or increased mod-supervision, which would be a pain in the butt!

Yeah, a drop down system could work, I'd just have to cover quite a bit though; I mean you'd have to cover acid washes, fades, etc, even custom work. I'm not trying to say it wouldn't work or that it's not a good idea, just playing devils advocate.

SpecialBlend2786
01-13-2005, 02:24 AM
i think its a great idea;

tyrion2323
01-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I agree, Falln. Any good idea needs to be revised about 100 times before implementation. Let's keep working on this one, and maybe it might happen!

-=Squid=-
01-13-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't see how this will help anything. If anything, it will only create more of a hastle and provide the seller less options to describe his marker, by installing a required set of fields to be filled.

How will it stop a gun from being described as AGG or a CHEATER gun? It will still be in there. This won't prevent anything that YOU don't like. Afterall, that's the only real reasoning for a change, to remove the things that YOU Don't like.

tyrion2323
01-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Go troll somewhere else, Squid - nobody's looking for your input here.

This idea would help make the AO forums easier to navigate, buy and sell. It would also make it easier to search for a certain marker that you're looking to purchase, which can be difficult some times.

With a drop-down menu, we would be able to get rid of a large amount of the AGG Gat stuff, because all of the makes, years and models would be accounted for. Yes, it would take a bit of time to implement, but it would be easier in the long run.

We could also include, perhaps, an advanced B/S/T search, which would be able to recognize each thread's marker type, and could make easier the search process when looking for something specific.

-=Squid=-
01-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Go troll somewhere else, Squid - nobody's looking for your input here.
It's hardly trolling; you posted it publically inferring that you wanted input; I provided input. Just because I don't think we need it doesn't mean that I shouldn't post it. Sorry, you won't ever get everybody to agree with you. But seriously, what would this do for us besides make it harder to post a F/S/T thread to your liking?

EDIT: Reread your post. Seems to be the only real reason is that you don't like the whole AGG thing. Ok? How is this going to get rid of people putting AGG or CHEATER in the title/decriptions without filtering the words?

tyrion2323
01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Perhaps you should reread my original post, paying attention to the first line:

Why not structure the B/S/T forums so that all threads are easily readable and similar? Whenever someone wants to sell their marker, they click "NEW SALE" and fill out the forms

I don't even use the BST forums here, bro - My team shoots AIM Timmies, we're all set. I'm just trying to put forward an original idea which would help organize the BST forums...

How is this going to get rid of people putting AGG or CHEATER in the title/decriptions without filtering the words?

With a drop-down menu, that wouldn't be a problem. Problem solved.

If anything, it will only create more of a hastle and provide the seller less options to describe his marker, by installing a required set of fields to be filled.

Drop Down menus would only make things easier and quicker for both sellers and buyers, plus it would ensure that all products are being properly presented in the title. The title would be generated by the drop down menu choices selected by the seller.

This won't prevent anything that YOU don't like. Afterall, that's the only real reasoning for a change,

Not really, but whatever. If you paid more attention to the idea than how you're going to drag it down, you'd realize that this could revamp and re-organize the BST forums. But I've only said that 500 times already.

Sorry, you won't ever get everybody to agree with you

I hardly need everyone to agree with me, yet everyone in this thread except for you seems to agree. Interesting.

-=Squid=-
01-13-2005, 01:49 PM
If you don't use them, what's it matter? You really think drop down menus will cover all makes of guns? Impossible.

I personally have never had a problem figguring out a FS ad, and if I did, that should be warning not to buy from them if they are too retarded to string togethor a simple post.

Sorry if I came off as rude, I just don't see any need. I personally feel it will just be a hastle, and turn people off even moreso to AOs BST forums.

Oh ya... That AIM timmy comment didn't impress me.

tyrion2323
01-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Luckily, I'm not out to impress you. I'm just trying to work through a new idea for the forums.

Back to the original topic...

hitech
01-13-2005, 04:17 PM

I like the idea in general. Buyers could always avoid those that circumvent the form. That will keep people from not using it. However, 250 megs for each picture? That's WAY more than necessary. How about less than 1 meg per picture?

:cheers:

tyrion2323
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
you're right, hitech! I meant 250k/each!

:eek:

CrimsonTurkey
01-13-2005, 05:29 PM
I thin kthe forms still could work. Even without the drop down menus.

Think about it. If some idiot puts CHEATER AGG !!!111!! in the title, the mods could simply his that little delete button and it would be done with. I don't that that would be too much trouble. If it was a large burden, we could stick a mod or two in there for the purpose of controlling the idiots of teh BST forums. I'm sure we could find one or two people o the forums willing to delete some fool's post.

SlartyBartFast
01-13-2005, 05:41 PM
If you don't use them, what's it matter? You really think drop down menus will cover all makes of guns? Impossible.

That's why you always have "other" as an option. :tard:

Actually, I'd love to see an auction B/S/T site that used database fields for various item data. Then it wouldn't matter what the person puts as a title, you could perform intelligent searches.

But, I'd settle for Ebay allowing paintball sales to Canada. All the cheap Minimags I'm missing out on are driving me mad!!! :mad:

Every single auction I've watched I would have happily paid more than the winning bid.

But, I'd really like to see the major paintball websites put together a standard B/S/T database. Then, the items could be searched and displayed through AO, WARPIG, PBN, etc... all at once. THAT would be cool.

-=Squid=-
01-13-2005, 05:58 PM
That's why you always have "other" as an option. :tard:

Actually, I'd love to see an auction B/S/T site that used database fields for various item data. Then it wouldn't matter what the person puts as a title, you could perform intelligent searches.

But, I'd settle for Ebay allowing paintball sales to Canada. All the cheap Minimags I'm missing out on are driving me mad!!! :mad:

Every single auction I've watched I would have happily paid more than the winning bid.

But, I'd really like to see the major paintball websites put together a standard B/S/T database. Then, the items could be searched and displayed through AO, WARPIG, PBN, etc... all at once. THAT would be cool.Well, if it's all drop down menus, and you put other, is a picture the only way to identify what it is?

ScatterPlot
01-14-2005, 12:36 AM
IIRC there were fields for you to type what it was specifically.

SlartyBartFast
01-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Well, if it's all drop down menus, and you put other, is a picture the only way to identify what it is?

Well, either you have a field that is only accessible when "other" is selected, or you would still have the description and title to write whatever you wanted...

-=Squid=-
01-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Well, either you have a field that is only accessible when "other" is selected, or you would still have the description and title to write whatever you wanted...
So, then if you have the option to type what it is, you have the option to describe it as AGG, etc. You know, some people click on ads based off the description of the item, not the gun itself. Maybe someone doesn't want the gun unless it is HK'd, a ramper, or what have you?

tyrion2323
01-14-2005, 11:40 AM
How about this:
Instead of an OTHER option, there will be a CUSTOMIZED option, selectable after inputing the original make/model of the marker. A selection of customizations would be available:
ACE'd, HK, E-Blade, Milled, etc...

So a customized PGP would read:

Customized 2002 ACE'd Gloss Black PGP

And, in order to get rid of slang, a simple word filter could be implemented.

-=Squid=-
01-14-2005, 11:47 AM
How about this:
Instead of an OTHER option, there will be a CUSTOMIZED option, selectable after inputing the original make/model of the marker. A selection of customizations would be available:
ACE'd, HK, E-Blade, Milled, etc...

So a customized PGP would read:

Customized 2002 ACE'd Gloss Black PGP

And, in order to get rid of slang, a simple word filter could be implemented.
Now that, sir, might work.

However, the problem I still forsee is the vast number of customizations and markers available. What about completely custom stuff?