PDA

View Full Version : Have we finished evolving?

CaptaiN_JacK
01-15-2005, 06:42 PM
First things first, I do NOT want this to turn into a creationism vs. evoltuion debate, so don't even start it. I started this thread because of a recent string Pbnation-like threads that have been popping up all over AO. Lets keep it intelligent people.

Now that we're clear on that, lets discuss the question, Have humans finished evolving?

Now I know we aren't world renowned scientists, but this question has been nagging at me for a while now. When I think about I can't even keep my thoughts straight, since it's so complex. We evolved because of natural selection, aka survival of the fittest, but in a world where body structure has taken a backseat to knowledge, are we ever going to evolve, for the better, more than we already are? I mean think about it, instead of letting nature make the changes for us (ie more hair for colder climates, etc.) we use technology instead, therefore putting our evolution on hold. It actually seems as though we are devolutioning (is that even a word?), since obesity rates have skyrocketed and obese parents are transferring the newfound obesity gene to their kids.

I can't really get my thoughts in order right now, so lets hear your thoughts.

Brak
01-15-2005, 06:44 PM
not quite yet

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/pc/swonline/art/swonline007.jpg

FreakBaller12
01-15-2005, 06:50 PM
I would no from the knowledge I know. Our mollers are still evolving out of mouth and them being gone. Our toes are said to be evoling and my teacher has the idea of it being mitten like with one big toe and the 4 toes all one eventually. Our coxyc(tail bone) is still evoling off I believe we still have 3-5 of those bones. Who knows what else will happne in the future. Although I do agree we have technology doing alot of the work for us and we may have a future where we create perfect babies messing with DNA. Who knows.

personman
01-15-2005, 06:55 PM
No.
Evolving isn't nessicarily improvement, its more of adaptation IMO.

We're still evolving, but in a different form. Instead of being strong, fast, or whatever, nowadays its more based on how smart you are. If you are ambitious, smart, and educated, you're more likely to succeed and marry and have children.

We'll never stop evolving, or at least that's how I see it.

B.A.M.
01-15-2005, 07:03 PM
If i remember Bio correctly there are 2 ways we evolve. On is when the Dna makes a mistake in copying it's self it makes a defect in either a good or bad sence. Also there is Darwins theory of when a population of a same species is isolated from the other thus letting some traits become dominat. I think evolution is most likely going to happen for us by the first way. Also since we are becoming a more technology race out brain will be come faster. This is for now more people are being educated so it will improve our brain power

Hope that was intellegent

FreakBaller12
01-15-2005, 07:14 PM
If i remember Bio correctly there are 2 ways we evolve. On is when the Dna makes a mistake in copying it's self it makes a defect in either a good or bad sence. Also there is Darwins theory of when a population of a same species is isolated from the other thus letting some traits become dominat. I think evolution is most likely going to happen for us by the first way. Also since we are becoming a more technology race out brain will be come faster. This is for now more people are being educated so it will improve our brain power

Hope that was intellegent

If your talking about dna mutation and chromosome differences, it's always bad. I think you're talking about replication, in which cases I think it almost never messes up. But I do agree with your darwin theory thought.

The Action Figure
01-15-2005, 07:15 PM
No.
Evolving isn't nessicarily improvement, its more of adaptation IMO.

We're still evolving, but in a different form. Instead of being strong, fast, or whatever, nowadays its more based on how smart you are. If you are ambitious, smart, and educated, you're more likely to succeed and marry and have children.

We'll never stop evolving, or at least that's how I see it.

true, I anm a creationist, but Im not here to start an argument. In evironmental science we learned there is a theory of evolution, and a evolution as far as adaptation. and the evolution hopper ;)

bornl33t
01-15-2005, 07:19 PM
there's more evidence to support Noahs flood then there is to support evolution...you don't honestly beleive in evolution? If so you have more faith then me

The Action Figure
01-15-2005, 07:25 PM
well as I said im a creationist trying not to start (another) argument over my faith, but no I find the theory of evolution to be absolutely obsurd.

PyRo
01-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Both arguments sound stupid.
1. We are some sort of super monkey
2. Some thing which we have no proof exists pulled us out of nowhere

Now stop arguing.

teufelhunden
01-15-2005, 07:28 PM
I don't believe we will make any significant evolutions, including ridding ourselves of genetic diseases. My reason for this is that if we have a problem, we fix it. Whether it be cancer, or the fact that we can't fly, we're a tool building race. Instead of waiting for our bodies to change, we take matters into our own hands.

The Action Figure
01-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Both arguments sound stupid.
1. We are some sort of super monkey
2. Some thing which we have no proof exists pulled us out of nowhere

Now stop arguing.

actually he didnt pull us :) he created us from the dust of the earth ;) :p

HoppysMag
01-15-2005, 07:33 PM
evolution never ends. it reaches a point of specification, where the new creature is no longer able to mate with what it originated from. and becomes a new species. the vast majority of times an animal will go exstinct, and become a dead end on the evolution tree. and in our case, assuming we dont go exstinct, humans are a young species on earth and have lots of room to evolve untill specification occurs.

chaos lichen
01-15-2005, 07:40 PM
As long as cells keep dividing we will never stop evolving. It just takes so long no one will really notice.

Will Wood
01-15-2005, 07:57 PM
No never.
I think the conditioning we receive from the vast advances in technology will spur major changes in us noticably probably only tens of thousands of years from now.

68magOwner
01-15-2005, 08:17 PM
for everyone looking for "half monkies"......what do you think you are ;)

Mango
01-15-2005, 08:18 PM
As others have stated, no.

There is a law that we human physiology types have called "Wolfs' Law" which explains adaptations to training. Basically it states that the body will adapt to its environment. For instance, astronauts who spend extended time in space (lack of gravitational pull) will experience significant demineralization of the bones because they do not have to support the weight of the body against the earth or any other such object. Body parts adapt to how they are used as well, such as our muscles, ligaments, cardiopulmonary system, etc.

Short story: A man who worked as a carpenter accidently cut off his thumb while working one day. His carpentry was his livelyhood and he needed his thumb to allow him to do the fine motor skills neccessary in his craft. His doctor explained they could remove his big toe and attach it where his thumb was, giving him some ability to grasp things. He had nothing to lose and they went through with the procedure. At first, it did look like a big thumb, stuck on a hand, and he had elementary control over its movement. About a year later he came back, and the doctor had a hard time telling the difference between his hands. The thumb adapted to its new location, the bone shrunk in size, fat deposits depleted to the point where the big toe, essentially, turned into a thumb! Wolf's Law in action. It no longer needed to support an entire body so it adapted its roll as a digit.

bornl33t
01-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Short story: A man who worked as a carpenter accidently cut off his thumb while working one day. His carpentry was his livelyhood and he needed his thumb to allow him to do the fine motor skills neccessary in his craft. His doctor explained they could remove his big toe and attach it where his thumb was, giving him some ability to grasp things. He had nothing to lose and they went through with the procedure. At first, it did look like a big thumb, stuck on a hand, and he had elementary control over its movement. About a year later he came back, and the doctor had a hard time telling the difference between his hands. The thumb adapted to its new location, the bone shrunk in size, fat deposits depleted to the point where the big toe, essentially, turned into a thumb! Wolf's Law in action. It no longer needed to support an entire body so it adapted its roll as a digit.

sorry, but I'm blowing the bs whistle on this story.

bornl33t
01-15-2005, 09:00 PM
As long as cells keep dividing we will never stop evolving. It just takes so long no one will really notice.

it's not evolution, it's degeneration at best.

RobAGD
01-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Closed as its already degrading into a your idea is stupid thread.

-Robert

Miscue
01-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Women are de-evolving - they're forgetting how to cook and clean like the good old days. :p