PDA

View Full Version : Virus Problems...

Magz_rule
01-15-2005, 10:10 PM
So i opened up a file in an email,(BTW it was of an automag :D )and after that I got an email back saying that I had opened a virus. The Mcafee(or however you spell it) trial period is long gone, so i have no virus protection. I downloaded Stinger and sure enough it found 11 viruses. I just want to be sure Im Virus free, what other (free) Virus scans should I use to make sure im virus free? The only other thing I use besides Stinger Is Ad-aware. Thanks.

Magz_rule
01-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Oh, and I just reformatted it about a month before...

MarkM
01-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Just run a google search for virus protection and add in the word free and see what you get but although you found 11 virus files on your pc you got lucky as sometimes what is found as a virus isn't always real nasty...annoying are the sort catagory of files they would sometimes fall into. But to not be using any virus protection is crazy, Adaware, Spybot etc are only tools to remove slight nastys not the full blown virus files that float around...BUY an AV program.
I find that Mcafee is rubbish...I will qualify this...
Hotmail has the "added" protection of being scanned with Mcafee...well I had a bunch of emails turning up blank etc and some with large file sizes some not and if not blank they had two or three lines of wierd text I got fed up deleting them so I forwarded one to my own email address and my virus protection went nuts...Mcafee all this time had been totally silent!!
I use Norton, it isn't the industry leader for nothing. There are many legal ways to get Norton free for at least 3 months...you just have the decide how much you value what is on your machine that you can lose it all after having to reformat...copying disc data when you know you have a virus somewhere on the machine won't help as when you put it back on the hard drive you put the virus straight back too....stop trying to be cheap. With faster connections around now some virus attacks could be pretty distructive very quickly.

Tunaman
01-16-2005, 08:46 PM
I just had Norton AV catch the Virus:
Category: Threat alerts
Date,Feature,Threat Name,Action Taken,Item Type,Target,Suspicious Action,Virus Definition Version,Product Version,User Name,Computer Name,Details
1/14/2005 10:53:43 PM,Virus scanner,Backdoor.AntiLam,Manually deleted,File,N/A,N/A,200501120016,11.0.2.4,Tunaman,TUNAMAN-Z62R3SM,"Threat category: VirusSource: E:\WINNT\Debug\UserMode\moo.dll,Description: The file E:\WINNT\Debug\UserMode\moo.dll is infected with the Backdoor.AntiLam virus."

This came from logging on to IRC Chat. Beware. :cuss:

WicKeD_WaYz
01-16-2005, 09:40 PM
on the same subject.

norton found a virus that it couldnt delete yesterday. It said it was a trojan horse or something and the virus was denying norton access to the file. So then I went in and found the file and tried to delete it and it was denying me access too. So then I right clicked and scanned it with norton and when it recognized it I hit quarantine. It seems to be gone but whats the difference between quarantine and just deleting it?

Tunaman
01-16-2005, 09:59 PM
I believe quarantine just locks the file so you cant spread it. Go to Norton and look it up and see if you can manually delete it from the instructions posted there. Most likely you will have to edit the registry. Be careful in there. ;)

WicKeD_WaYz
01-17-2005, 03:01 AM
I believe quarantine just locks the file so you cant spread it. Go to Norton and look it up and see if you can manually delete it from the instructions posted there. Most likely you will have to edit the registry. Be careful in there. ;)

Since I dont know what a registry is....i think im going to leave it alone lol