PDA

View Full Version : Breathing air=welding store air?

trains are bad
01-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Our team has a scuba but it's a 45min drive to get it filled.

I have a big bulk CO2 tank that is empty right now. Pops said I should trade it in and get a bottle of compressed air. But I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea because it wouldn't be breathing air.

I could also get a bottle of nitrogen but it is probably expensive and I can't see returning it with 1000psi left in it.

WWYD?

dj89
01-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Umm i was just geting ready to post this.

I'm tried of driving 45 to get my scubas filled.

Tunaman
01-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Breathing air...nitrogen...compressed air...its all the same as far as paintball goes. The gun doesnt care. ;)

trains are bad
01-16-2005, 09:22 PM
ok I thought maybe compressed air from the welding place would be too dirty or summat. But then I get my CO2 there so whatever.

I don't know if they have air even but pops said they do because he knows people who used to race that got it to run air tools off of.

I also might just trade my CO2 tank in for a non-siphon CO2 tank, and use off the top with a remote for tinkering purposes. As long as it was warm I don't think there would be a problem running an xvalve off it at high ROF, do you?

Tunaman
01-16-2005, 09:43 PM
No C02 on the Xvalve.

atm743
01-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Umm i was just geting ready to post this.

I'm tried of driving 45 to get my scubas filled.

ha ha hahahahahahahaha :rofl: :rofl:

lets rephrase that

MY FATHER is tired of taking YOUR tank and mine

but from time to time you mom might take us at the last minut sometimes

:rolleyes:

Thunder Bunny
01-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Breathing air...nitrogen...compressed air...its all the same as far as paintball goes. The gun doesnt care. ;)

Breathing air is something like 75% nitrogen anyway. No diving shops in the area?

trains are bad
01-16-2005, 10:20 PM
No C02 on the Xvalve.

Don't just feed me that. CO2 is not magical. I do realize that it will not work for actually playing paintball because it is basically impossible to, at 800 psi, keep liquid out, and the small volume that is in a marker size tank would quickly be chilled to too low a pressure anyway.

I'm talking about taking a 5 foot tall, NON-siphon tube bulk tank, and hooking a remote up to the top to run the marker for tinkering purposes. I see no harm in that. I could be wrong. But if I am please explain.

openboater
01-17-2005, 08:15 AM
most welding air is 2400 psi max. It is cheaper to buy a few more scuba's and cascade tthem. and cut your drive .

Ask your shop for a 10% overfill, my shop regularly will provide that , and it's plenty safe in the right circumstances.

buy high pressure steel scuba tanks with din valve. I have 2 - 3500 psi 100 cu ft tanks and 2 3k , 80 cu ft tanks. the 100's hold lots more air, and with 10% overfill I get them filled to 3800.

Creative Mayhem
01-17-2005, 08:33 AM
most welding air is 2400 psi max. It is cheaper to buy a few more scuba's and cascade tthem. and cut your drive .

Ask your shop for a 10% overfill, my shop regularly will provide that , and it's plenty safe in the right circumstances.

buy high pressure steel scuba tanks with din valve. I have 2 - 3500 psi 100 cu ft tanks and 2 3k , 80 cu ft tanks. the 100's hold lots more air, and with 10% overfill I get them filled to 3800.

I used to work at a SCUBA shop, and I did hydros, fills etc, and I must say that this is a bad practice. I would not reccommend getting overfills, while some say it is relatively safe, there is still a good chance that something CAN happen, and it can only take an instant.

As for the HP steel tanks, you can get overpressure on them without problems, BUT the tank manufacturers HIGHLY reccomend only doing overfills untill the first hydro.

Bear in mind that overfilling will change the molecular structure of the tank each time you do it, and you will weaken it over time. Even regular(non-overfill) can weaken the tank over time, hence the need for Hydrostatic testing in the first place. Just something to think about.

The best Idea is to cascade them for the most air usage.

Thordic
01-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Don't just feed me that. CO2 is not magical. I do realize that it will not work for actually playing paintball because it is basically impossible to, at 800 psi, keep liquid out, and the small volume that is in a marker size tank would quickly be chilled to too low a pressure anyway.

I'm talking about taking a 5 foot tall, NON-siphon tube bulk tank, and hooking a remote up to the top to run the marker for tinkering purposes. I see no harm in that. I could be wrong. But if I am please explain.

You can do it if you want, but your gun may leak and whatnot. The valve wasn't designed for CO2, and its a pain to tinker with CO2 sometimes as it causes hell with the orings.

GodLovesUgly
01-17-2005, 11:07 AM
ok I thought maybe compressed air from the welding place would be too dirty or summat.

yes it maybe too dirty, but you can buy filters and such to take care of that!

SlartyBartFast
01-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Don't just feed me that. CO2 is not magical.

It may not be magical, but it has some very nasty phase change properties at the tmperature and pressure changes caused by the Xvalve design.

These properties make it highly likely that CO2 may condense/freeze and re evaporate during charging maening a risk of dangerously high velocities. Or so is my understanding.

SlartyBartFast
01-17-2005, 11:48 AM
yes it maybe too dirty, but you can buy filters and such to take care of that!

Nah. Difference between breathing air in a SCUBA shop and compressed air at a welding shop is the CO2 scrubbers. Don't want a leathal percentage of CO2 in breathing air. Welding equipment and paintball markers don't care.

SlartyBartFast
01-17-2005, 12:22 PM

Besides being wrong and against procedure, 10% overfills gain you virtually nothing.

Read: http://www.naui.org/pdffiles/tankfill.pdf

FaSSt
01-19-2005, 02:24 PM
If you are that concerned about air being dirty, buy an AKALMP inline filter for $30.

DO NOT overfill tanks. It's not worth it.

Get your field to invest in a compressor.

It's not worth to invest several hundred dollars into a bunch of tanks. For the same price, get another gun that runs fine on CO2.