PDA

View Full Version : spyder xtra v.s. mag

magman68
11-11-2001, 07:24 PM
3 of my friends say that there friends spyder xtra is as good as my mag.which do you think and why?

MAGS own YOU
11-11-2001, 07:29 PM
Umm.Mags own spyders. A spyder is a good begginer gun, a mag is a for a person that cant have that many gun problems. they are the easiest guns to clean and operate. Mag's valves are made from Stainless steel and can far outlast the xtra. The mag is designed for heavy use, if your going to play about once a month, get the spyder. I much prefered my mag over my old Shutter. Another good thing about the mag is you can get almost any part for the mag. thats GOOD. AGD owns Kingman =]. I hope this helps.

Mag89
11-11-2001, 07:48 PM
MAGSownYOU were you just kidding around or does AGD really own kingman?

MAGS own YOU
11-11-2001, 07:51 PM
No no, AGD is much better than kingman is the way i meant it. Sorry for the trouble.

Wild_Osiris
11-11-2001, 07:55 PM
NO Agd doesnt own kingman but I think Tom wouldnt mind owning them.(cash reasons only but the Product quality department maybe rebuilt). AS for mags owning a spyders. You really cant compare the 2. I think spyders max rof is 7 and normal mags are 9 without droppoff. The trigger on spyders feels like umm... well they feel stiff and like crap. Where I enjoy a mags trigger. Unfortunately range no matter what is the same. Mags may be more consisent because valve is a reg, which might help accuracy but who knows.

MajorDamage
11-11-2001, 08:19 PM
LOL! Thats like comparing a gocart to a Corvette! Tell them I said "YOU ARE WRONG!".

ENDO!

Russ
11-11-2001, 08:35 PM
Spyders - Taiwanese, massed produced, cheap, inconsistent quality, no customer service to speak of. Easily upgradible, simple to fix, great beginner gun.

Mags - US made, high quality, excellent customer support, last forever, low maintanence, a gun that can take you from newbie to pro.

I have some of each...

freakyt
11-11-2001, 08:46 PM
3 words, 'Simple is Better' Mags have less parts and seals than anything Kingman makes.

Plus mags are a blow froward gun, and that system is undisputable better than a blow-back style.

Mags are better because they are engineered better. All of the adonization and fancy looking bodies on spyder just try to hide what is underneath.

Enough already. Tell your friend to take his one-time, throw away plastic valve and hide behind a bunker after he breaks an o-ring.

Bartleby
11-11-2001, 09:03 PM
spyders are good beginner guns and are pretty reliable. my friend has one and the only problem with it is that when you break a ball you really BREAK A BALL! The thing would jam up and it would take him out of the game. the two of us would have to pull the bolt out of the gun, one pulling by the barrel, the other pulling on an allen wrench shoved between one of the holes.

but in all fairness, tell them they don't know jack if they think a spyder is better than a mag. end of story.

Gunga
11-12-2001, 05:01 PM
Well, you have some good timing on your question. I just played this weekend with my old Spyder (which I had sold to a friend over a year ago) and also my Automag. A few things (playwise) stood out to me right away.

1. Lower ROF with the Spyder. I still could hurl some pretty good amounts of paint at the 'bad guys', but not nearly as much as with my Mag. The trigger pull was MUCH longer with the Spyder. Though the trigger seemed to be a bit reactive.

2. The Automag was more accurate under a higher ROF (CO2 vs N2 concerns aside, as I didn't sit there and do single shot accuracy comparisions). The Spyder had much more of a kick/recoil to it than my Mag. And the difference will just get greater once I procure one of those 'superbolts'. :)

FYI, I shot the Spyder with CO2 and my Mag with N2. Didn't swap air sources at all. Also, if it makes a difference (which I doubt), the Spyder I used is an 'old' one, circa the days in the early 90's when there were only 2 models of Spyder, the Spyder Compact and Spyder Bottomline. I used the latter.

All in all, the Spyder really wasn't that bad. It's still quite inferior to my Mag, but certainly was FAR FAR better than the field's rental Pihranas. :D One of the Angel users at my field tried out the Spyder and thought it was far better than he expected.

If I were just starting out, I wouldn't hestitate to start out with a Spyder, assuming budgetary concerns. Though it might take me a while to figure out just which of the gazillions of different models they have these days was the right one for me. ;)

FeelTheRT
11-12-2001, 08:17 PM
umm... FYI, Kingman is also in the US. Hence "kingman usa".

and there is nothing wrong with Spyders. They are great entry level markers... don't get me wrong.. Automags are great entry markers too but some tend to like the vertical feed and the millings and the bells and whistles on it.

DYE-BaLLeR
11-12-2001, 08:40 PM
i cant beleive you thought of such a comparison. the best spyder doesnt even come close to compare with the worst mag.

Bartleby
11-12-2001, 08:44 PM
spyders are advancing in the ranks, however. the EM1, though nowhere near comparable to a mag, is a worthy adversary of some, lower, tournament worthy markers.

X-Plosive
11-12-2001, 08:51 PM
I don't want to get too off topic but what about those AMG's. $450 for an electro with recoil.........great bargain.

salomon16
11-12-2001, 11:54 PM
Theres just simply no comparison. I had owned 2 spyders before i bought my minimag and in the beginning of my first game with my mag i was simply stunned. theres no comparison. give your mag to him to play for a game and he'll figure it out.

TrevorSkoal
11-13-2001, 12:30 PM
Bad Company seems to like the Spyder xtra's. What would have happened had they won the wc?

Johnny Mo

Ityl
11-13-2001, 08:15 PM
spyders wear out quicker (springs). Mag will wear out the PT oring but it's cheaper, and AGD will hook you up for free.

Spyders and others like em are good for picking up and usually working and are cheap. Mags have more performance, better reliability, but cost a lil more.

Slapp
11-14-2001, 02:10 PM
I think you will still be shooting your mag years from now and their Spyder Xtra will be history. My first paintball marker was a Spyder TL+ and I really enjoyed it so don't think I'm into Spyder bashing. Great entry level gun and as others have said, they are fun to tinker with. Of course I ended up having to tinker with it more than I wanted to.

Accuracy: Most important factor here is paint to barrel match so either gun should be about equal provided paint to barrel match is good on each and both are running the same type of air or CO2.

Consistancy: Mags have a built in regulator to help assure consistant pressure. Edge Mag.

Quality of Construction: Mags, hands down, all day, in every way from materials to welds etc... This translates into durability and time on the field rather than at the repair bench.

Feel: This certainly one of the if not the most important factors and is up for grabs. If you like the feel of a marker then chances are you can make it work great for you with just a bit of tweaking. No edge, personal choice.

Company Support: There is not a more supportive company in the paintball industry than AGD. Good products, good people, great support = loyal customers.

Ability to customize: Without a doubt there are a ton of Spyder upgrades and aftermarket parts out there to toy with. I see it as benefit that Mags have (and require) far fewer aftermarket upgrade parts.

Skills: If the Xtra and your mag are not broken and have about the same paint to barrel match, the difference is going to be all about skill and not about which marker is the best. So, work on your skills and take out your friends with Spyders first. They will have a hard time bragging about how their guns are better than yours when you are always the last man standing. :D