PDA

View Full Version : my project for the last month..

mikey101
01-17-2005, 07:26 PM
I know a lot of people here are into the domestic scene which is cool, but i thought i'd post up some pics of what i've been doing with my car for the last month or so. I built a home made turbo kit for my civic on a budget of $800. The welds are crappy on the outside, but everything's nice and smooth on the inside. Took about a month of collecting parts, planning, welding, building and bleeding, here's the result:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mikemey01/car/wholecar1.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mikemey01/car/frontclose.jpg

Only giveaway that the car is turbo'd
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mikemey01/car/intercooler.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mikemey01/car/reartail.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mikemey01/car/engine1.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mikemey01/car/dp.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mikemey01/car/bov.jpg

home made manual boost controller:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mikemey01/car/mbc.jpg

NOTICE: no big wing, fancy wheels, paintjob, neons, lights..no RICE! This is meant to be a sleeper civic. here's the complete setup..

95 civic dx sedan
stock d15b7 with 93,xxx miles
t3 .42/.48 ar (very fast spool)
hf civic manifold
homemade boost controller set @ 8psi
homemade 2.5" chargepiping/2.5" downpipe/flanges
stealthmode oil lines
1st gen dsm blow off valve
Johnny racecar 5" front mount intercooler
safcII
dsm 450cc injectors
kyb agx struts
eibach sportline springs

next up on the list to-do is get the dents and scratches out that the previous owner left me with and coat it with a nice flat black paintjob. i've never painted a car before so it should be pretty exciting. probably still get a bunch of crap because it is a civic but that's cool, hella fun project and it's hard for me to wipe the smile off my face when i'm driving now :)

Snertz
01-17-2005, 07:32 PM
That's pretty hot! Really cool project on the cheap. Nice work man, keep it up.

PyRo
01-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Dyno?
1/4?
:)

mikey101
01-17-2005, 08:57 PM
don't have any numbers yet, i'll get it on a dyno pretty soon though. next time they have open gates at bandimere i'm gonna run down there, crank the boost up to 10 pounds, and see what she'll do. it's not gonna be anything spectacular at all, neither will the dyno numbers. That's not really what i'm lookin for though, just a little bit of boost with a decent suspension on these mountain roads.

Linkwarner
01-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Wow that is really cool, if you want to cover up the front of the intercooler, see if you can find a bumper of another civic, cut it, and melt it on there, look stock to the untrained eye ;). How is your turbo set? I love how you kept it under 1000 dollars, right now I am working on a sleeper eclipse. ultimate sleeper eclispe, I will keep you guys posted whenever it is done. Awesome turbo!!

nato
01-17-2005, 11:41 PM
mmmm, sweet... wanna do that to my civic? :p

N.A.T.O.

(That wasnt a joke.)

dirty_canadian4894
01-18-2005, 10:18 AM
thats pretty sweet dude, im thinking about trying to do something crazy to my '92 berreta 3.1 v6, a lot like that, total sleeper and mucho cheap. just to play around with but my work visa ran out so i cant work down here in the states so my plans have all gone down the crapper.i do need new shocks and spring so i was gonna go the same route as you suspension wise and put some bigger stabilizer bars in the thing.

SCpoloRicker
01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Aha! an import I can appreciate :p

I never thought I would see "home-built" and "turbo" in the same sentance. At least not a sentence that didn't end in "so then the the fire truck shows up"

Congrats on a really nice and cheap project!

/RICE!!oNE11! ;)

skife
01-18-2005, 09:17 PM
props man, i'm definatally not a fan of civics.
or imports for that matter.

but you've kept it stock looking and did the turbo yourself, In my book anyone that does that definatally deserves mad props

Dubstar112
01-19-2005, 02:52 AM
oh man 4dr sedan sohc... but turbo'd? :). Ill give you a beer can trophy for that!

mikey101
01-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Ill give you a beer can trophy for that!
haha, that's all i'm lookin for! :rofl:

SOHC Powa!

Flamebo
01-20-2005, 02:49 AM
I'm also not a fan of Civics, but congrats on taking some initiative and doing something that will actually bolster the performance of your car. It's ridiculously popular to do the exact opposite and that's what irritates me about import drivers.

Looks like solid work though, I'm interested to know how it's affected performance. Rock on. :headbang:

pputkowski
01-20-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm also not a fan of Civics, but congrats on taking some initiative and doing something that will actually bolster the performance of your car. It's ridiculously popular to do the exact opposite and that's what irritates me about import drivers.

Looks like solid work though, I'm interested to know how it's affected performance. Rock on. :headbang:

Not Import Drivers, Ricers...there is a difference.

You know there are also domestic ricers right?

Nice job though man, I know I wouldn't be able to pull it off. One question, are you running any kind of intake or exhaust?

maglover728
01-20-2005, 07:37 AM
Form follows function. Very cool. What part of CO are you from?

mikey101
01-20-2005, 09:45 AM
in the sixth pic down you can see the intake and exhaust. i custom made that 2.5" downpipe and it runs back to a high flow cat. after that it's just a stock 2 1/4" exhaust running through and ex muffler. come spring time and i plan on fabbing an entire 2.5" exhaust and run a resonater inline to a magna flow muffler (don't worry, there still won't be a big exhaust tip :) )

the intake to the compressor side of the turbo is bare in that picture, but you can see the 2.5" to 1.5" reducer. that thing took a very long time to make, and it still came out ugly, heh. I have a 90 degree elbow on that now and my filter sits just behind it.

i'm about 20minutes west of denver, right at the base of the foothills. :cheers:

nato
01-25-2005, 12:29 PM
well if you ever come round chicago stop by... and turbo my car!!! :clap:

N.A.T.O.

Gitaroo Man
01-25-2005, 01:29 PM
dyno it

and nice paint and nice wheels doesn't make it rice...

929RR-MAN
01-25-2005, 09:22 PM
I like your sleeper project, your bound to tick a few people off when you race. Little sleeper story for you---I went to Daytona Beach, FL, last March of 2004 for part of Bike week and the first week of spring break--tons of fun. Anyways, one of my buddies had a new, red, F-350 turbo diesel with a 4" lift, huge tires, just a massive, sweet, but slow looking truck. WRONG, on the slow part. He added this turbo modification kit that gave the truck some ungodly amount of horsepower--somewhere in the range of 500 to 700 hp. This is no joke, the truck had a manual transmission so you could really work the rpms and the exhaust was also modded for the turbo kit. This diesel exhaust sounded just like a mustang. We raced Mitubishi eclipse turbo's w/mods, Mustang GT's, Camaro SS's,,there wasn't much that could beat this truck, I could not believe it. It was just flat out scary fast. There were many people that were left scratching their heads because their sports car just got smoked by a big truck.
Have fun screwin with people's brains in your new project

joez
01-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Glad to see some people are still into the sleeper effect, nice job.

billybob_81067
01-26-2005, 01:53 AM
in the sixth pic down you can see the intake and exhaust. i custom made that 2.5" downpipe and it runs back to a high flow cat. after that it's just a stock 2 1/4" exhaust running through and ex muffler. come spring time and i plan on fabbing an entire 2.5" exhaust and run a resonater inline to a magna flow muffler (don't worry, there still won't be a big exhaust tip :) )

What exactly does a resonator do? I've wondered this for a while now. :confused:

I was thinking about redoing the exhaust on my 93 F-150 with a 351W like so... Running 2.5 inch pipes from the exhaust manifolds towhere they come together and then dumping them both into a single 4" pipe, through a gutted 4" cat and then through a 4" resonator... Would this be extremely loud, or does a resonator have muffling qualities like a muffler?

The reason I was thinking about doing it this way was because I saw on a website where I could get a 4" resonator for like 85 bucks whereas a 4" muffler is 117 bucks...

mikey101
01-26-2005, 09:34 AM
resonators work by cancelling out certain frequncies made by the exhaust which will greatly reduce the noise without effecting performance too much. If you plan on making your own exhaust i'd highly recommend putting a resonator inline with the cat and the muffler. we've made the mistake of not using one with a magnaflow muffler and it's annoyingly loud. good luck with the project.