PDA

View Full Version : SCUBA Users

Lone Gunman
11-11-2001, 08:46 PM
Do you have to have a special permit to fill nitro tanks from SCUBA's or what? Where do you get them filled if you don't?

AngelBoy
11-11-2001, 08:51 PM
I don't think you have to have one to fill from scuba tanks, we do it all the time. But I think you might have to have one to fill up the scuba tanks.

Evil Bob
11-11-2001, 09:28 PM
Nope, no special permits needed to fill your tanks. Most SCUBA shops that sell/fill diving cylinders know about paintball and the most they do is have you sign a waiver stating that you'll only use said cylinders for paintball use and won't go diving with it.

-Evil Bob

alf
11-11-2001, 09:52 PM
the local scuba shop here rents filled tanks for $7.50...so we dont have to buy a tank, and futz with getting it hydro-ed in a few years...MUCH cheaper...just a hassle to take it back on mondays

-alf

Shaft
11-12-2001, 07:57 AM
Hey cool question. I was doing my SCUBA research over the weekend. First off there are some long threads on the issue.
Then I found a SCUBA shop (I have no idea why there would be a SCUBA shop in Aurora Illinois - but there is).
The shop has no problem selling, filling and servicing a SCUBA cylinder without a license provided you let them know you use it for paintball. This particular shop even said that they would tag the cylinder that it's for paintball so as that I would not need the annual visual inspection on the tank.

Do that search on SCUBA. Good info on tank sizes, whether or not to use two tanks etc.

TheTramp
11-12-2001, 01:25 PM
A reputable SCUBA shop will not fill a SCUBA tank that does not have a valid visual inspection sticker. This is good as it is important to have the tank inspected once a year regardless of wether or not it's been used for diving.

prodiGyBNTY
11-12-2001, 02:31 PM
this is how it is with my local scuba shop...since i dont have a valid scuba license, they would only fill my tank if i had "NOT FOR BREATHING AIR" painted on the side (in neat stencil of course) that way if i were to go diving, anyone with sense would see that and say, "sorry bud, no can dive with that tank!"...so i did that!

but by now, they know me over there and it just get filled no questions asked anymore..

Shaft
11-12-2001, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
A reputable SCUBA shop will not fill a SCUBA tank that does not have a valid visual inspection sticker. This is good as it is important to have the tank inspected once a year regardless of wether or not it's been used for diving.

I have a feeling why you wrote this, but I can only speculate as to why.

hubadlatimmy
11-12-2001, 05:32 PM
Hey I am moving to aurora over christmas break and I saw that scuba shop a few weeks ago if we are talking about the same one right by wendys and all those hotels and has a big blue sign that says SCUBA. Anyways how much does it cost to buy a tank from them or to rent one for a weekend of something? any information would be appreciated or just pm, or we can talk on aim my sign in is hubadlatimmy

Lentz
11-12-2001, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by alf
the local scuba shop here rents filled tanks for $7.50...so we dont have to buy a tank, and futz with getting it hydro-ed in a few years...MUCH cheaper...just a hassle to take it back on mondays

-alf
its not cheaper in the long run. i own my own tank and fill station. i get it filled and use it at least once every week and if im lucky more. for the tank and fill station it was only 125. and i only pay 3 bucks to get the thing filled which i make my teammember pay for lol im a cheap bastard. and vip and hydro came out for only 30 bucks. i guess if you play all the time its worth it to own your own scuba and fill.

PaintGuy89
11-12-2001, 08:05 PM
While your on the subject, just wondering about how much would it cost to get the tank and fill station and anything else I'd need to fill my own nitro tank? Also, would it be pretty easy for the Scuba/Dive shop to allow me to get the tank filled? Thanks for help.

alf
11-12-2001, 09:18 PM
lentz....yes, you are right...

i did a lil math for my situation (playing every other weekend, at $5/fill), and it would take me 2 years to recoup the cost of the tank...but if i play twice a week...it would only take me 6 months to make up the cost of a scuba (assuming a new fill twice a week)...but your fills are cheaper too...do you have a shed i can live in?
:D

-alf

Shaft
11-13-2001, 07:43 AM
Timmy,
I don't remember Wendy's or hotels. It's on 59 just south of the tollway.
An 80cf tank with valve is $139 over there. Fills are $4.
100cf tanks would be $200. The guy I spoke with didn't seem to care for 120cf tanks but they'd be $300.

nelf
11-13-2001, 04:07 PM
Hey guy be carefull out there.
The are high pressure steel tanks on the market that have a fill psi rateing around 3500 psi.....

There are all some high volume tanks from OMS
that can last a few more fills for you.

:)

Shaft
11-13-2001, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by nelf
Hey guy be carefull out there.
The are high pressure steel tanks on the market that have a fill psi rateing around 3500 psi.....

There are all some high volume tanks from OMS
that can last a few more fills for you.

:)

What? Are you suggesting to avoid the OMS 3500psi tanks? Or get one because you can get more fills? Your meaning is not clear to me.
The one I was looking at was an aluminum tank.

nelf
11-14-2001, 08:33 AM
Sorry about being vague.

The standard aluminum 80 ft3 tank is a fine choice. It's cheep and max pressure rating is 3000 psi.

If your looking for a lage capacity tank try
OMS
They make tank sizes of 121 and 135 ft3, with a fill pressure of 2500 to 3000. You can get a lot of fills with this one, but it is expensive.

The tanks to be careful of are called high pressure steal tanks, they generally come in sizes of 92 ft3 and 120 ft3, these tanks have a fill pressure of 3500 psi and some shops will actually come near 4000 psi on a fill. These tanks are generally more expensive all so.

Shaft
11-14-2001, 08:56 AM
Ah, is much good this advice you give.

cphilip
11-14-2001, 09:29 AM
I am surprised no one mentioned the 80 CF 3300 psi Aluminum tanks. For about $20 more than the normal 80 cf 3000 psi SCUBA's. Called "neutral buoyancy" tanks. Worth a bit more to get the extra 300 psi. Assures fills at least to 3000 and a few more fills per tank at near 3000. You have to ask for them. Most places don't stock them and surprisingly enough a lot of dive shops are not even aware they exist. You have to show em in their catalog. And they should not be more than $20 more. Don't let em try and fool you. You can get em online for $160 - $165 or so including the shipped to your door.

Yipe
11-14-2001, 10:38 AM
cphillip - you beat me to it!

The 3300psi 80NB is the way to go. They should he the same price, or within $20.00, of a standard 3000psi 80cf tank. The extra 300psi helps out, especially if you cascade from a 3000psi tank. And remember, ask for the boot, valve cover and 15 free air fills with your tank purchase :)

Hasta,

Matt

Shaft
11-14-2001, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Yipe
cphillip - you beat me to it!

The 3300psi 80NB is the way to go. They should he the same price, or within $20.00, of a standard 3000psi 80cf tank. The extra 300psi helps out, especially if you cascade from a 3000psi tank. And remember, ask for the boot, valve cover and 15 free air fills with your tank purchase :)

Hasta,

Matt

I will look into that tank. From what I've read, my best bet is to buy local. Since shipping often involves surcharges and what not to drive up the total an extra $35.

cphilip
11-14-2001, 10:54 AM
Well Gee Yipe I gave you all day! :D

No seriously yes do buy local if you can. But the price estimate I gave is already with shipping and all. So use it as a guide.

In fact divers direct is showing the 80 CF 3300 at $149.99 with no surcharge and the shipping is $10.99 fixed fee. So thats just a few pennies shy of $161 to your door.

Also show the 80 CF 3000 at $119.99 and an additional $20 surcharge for a total on it of $139.99 and same $10.99 shipping charge. Or about $151 to the door.

So for $10 more you get the 3300.

See here... http://www.diversdirect.com/scubaequipment.htm

Shaft
11-14-2001, 11:02 AM
Phil,
You're alright. I just may forgive you for that geek comment you made the other week.
r