PDA

View Full Version : engine is gonna die!

Buff
01-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I just took my 97 Windstar in for a tune-up, and my mechanic said the engine is gonna die soon.
I while back I got a oil change, and there was less than a liter of oil in the engine :tard:
I have no clue how it got that way, or how long it was running like that, but thats what damaged the engine.
So the mehcnaic said he could hear one of the bearings was going bad......and tht the engine was going to die.

Anybody know anything I can do to prolong the life of the engine?
I need it to last till June......

evildead420
01-18-2005, 11:07 AM
use this stuff called lucas, high performance motor oil, its a thick red oil, and add like mobil 1 with the oil for a good mix. thats the best i can do unless u get yoyur motor rebuilt

Buff
01-18-2005, 11:51 AM
It normally takes 5 liters of oil, so what kinda mixture sure I put in of mobile one and lucas?

evildead420
01-18-2005, 12:33 PM
one or doesnt hurt 2 liters of lucas and the rest moble 1, that lucas is kick *** :cool:

dj89
01-18-2005, 03:20 PM
How much do you drive?Do you want it to be any good after june?If you don't beat on it and don't care about it after june you should be fine. Just get some good oil like posted above

Bad_Dog
01-18-2005, 03:26 PM
my van doesnt run very well, you could crash yours into mine and we'll both get new vehicles :D

Lohman446
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Let me guess... 3.8 Ford engine... POS engine btw to start with so dont feel too bad.

Two options, one being Lucas (which to my opinion is just ultra-heavyweight oil). I would not put Mobil in it with Lucas, I would not switch brands of oil when doing it. Use what you nromally use,. plus Lucas to bring it to the right level on the dipstick.

Or just use heavier oil. Depending on climate you might be able to get away with 20W50 (I would sure think so where you live) or even straight 30. Heavier oil will "mask" a lot of noise.

Be warned, the correct fix is intensive, these are just patches and will do nothing to address the main concern.

evildead420
01-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Two options, one being Lucas (which to my opinion is just ultra-heavyweight oil). I would not put Mobil in it with Lucas, I would not switch brands of oil when doing it. Use what you nromally use,. plus Lucas to bring it to the right level on the dipstick.

thats right. :cheers: thats just me though :p

skife
01-18-2005, 09:11 PM
there is this stuff out there called "restore" i've herd awsome reviews about it from people on forums.

give it a try.

PyRo
01-18-2005, 09:57 PM
It's good for hiding the sound (not fixing anything). It's primary use is for people to mask a nosie when they go to sell a car.

Tunaman
01-18-2005, 11:25 PM
I hate to break the bad news to you again, but there is no quick fix for wiped out main or rod bearings. Oil clearance between the bearing and journals is measured in thousandths of an inch with plastigauge. Once you run it dry, its only a matter of seconds and the bearings are wiped. Get rid of it quick, before you throw a rod out the side of the block and make a mess. :D

Buff
01-19-2005, 12:29 PM
well.......I know the engine needs a rebuild.......but thats not cheap, and the vehicle is only worth 3500 I think..........

The reason i need it to last until June is that I leave for BMT and then Tech school, and when I get back I will have plenty of money to buy a Camero or something nice.........until then, i havn't got much money...........

Is it possible to replace the engine with something more powerfull? ;)

Lohman446
01-19-2005, 01:39 PM
well.......I know the engine needs a rebuild.......but thats not cheap, and the vehicle is only worth 3500 I think..........

The reason i need it to last until June is that I leave for BMT and then Tech school, and when I get back I will have plenty of money to buy a Camero or something nice.........until then, i havn't got much money...........

Anything is possible given enough time and money - but you think fixing whats in it now isn't cheap wait till you try to get custom work.

Gtask8
01-19-2005, 07:12 PM

Ok buddy, First off Windstars suck A**. My parents have a '95 and its gone through two trannys already. (About 170K+ Miles on the engine) Get a new van/car/truck. Itll cost you more in the long run.

Second, Dont get a camaro. There engines do the same thing and die out very quickly. (Every camaro owner I know has a blown engine!)

dj89
01-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok buddy, First off Windstars suck *Poof*. My parents have a '95 and its gone through two trannys already. (About 170K+ Miles on the engine) Get a new van/car/truck. Itll cost you more in the long run.

Second, Dont get a camaro. There engines do the same thing and die out very quickly. (Every camaro owner I know has a blown engine!)
You have not know vary many camaro owners than..............

Gtask8
01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
6 or 7.

Lohman446
01-19-2005, 07:36 PM

:rolleyes: Would that be every Camaro with a 2.8? 3.4? 3.8? 5.0? 5.7? or what engine. That is a pretty broad statement to make considering the different engine options available in a Camaro (coincidentally I would stay away from the 2.8 and 3.4). Are we discussing modified engined used by teenagers to drag with and beat to death? Maybe many people in your age group have managed to destroy a Camaro engine if they have owned one, but I expect its not the fault of the car.

Everyone I know... when the cars are used roughly (assumption) does not count. I see a lot of cars everyday, and I do not see a problem in it. However, there is a vast difference from a Camaro to a Windstar, I hope you are considering a cars use as well as its "cool" factor when you are considering it.

Gtask8
01-19-2005, 07:38 PM
:rolleyes: Would that be every Camaro with a 2.8? 3.4? 3.8? 5.0? 5.7? or what engine. That is a pretty broad statement to make considering the different engine options available in a Camaro (coincidentally I would stay away from the 2.8 and 3.4). Are we discussing modified engined used by teenagers to drag with and beat to death? Maybe many people in your age group have managed to destroy a Camaro engine if they have owned one, but I expect its not the fault of the car.

Everyone I know... when the cars are used roughly (assumption) does not count. I see a lot of cars everyday, and I do not see a problem in it. However, there is a vast difference from a Camaro to a Windstar, I hope you are considering a cars use as well as its "cool" factor when you are considering it.

And?...

Lohman446
01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
And?...

:rolleyes:

Buff
01-19-2005, 08:32 PM
eh......maybe I wont get a Camaro.......dunno yet.........
but I need this thing to last till june is all.

Tunaman
01-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Find a Chevy Blazer 1985-1989 4.3liter v6. i have one with 350000 miles and it runs like new. 4.3 are bullet proof if you ask me. ;) :D :headbang:

bofh
01-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Find a Chevy Blazer 1985-1989 4.3liter v6. i have one with 350000 miles and it runs like new. 4.3 are bullet proof if you ask me. ;) :D :headbang:

I had a 1983 FUll Size Jimmy with the 6.2 Diesel engine, the engine was still going strong when I sold it with close to 440,000 miles on it. Any cheby or gmc with the 6.2 or 6.5 diesel will last forever.

/current 6.5 'burb has 230k.

WickeDKlowN
01-19-2005, 10:10 PM
There's a guy selling a late 80s Blazer by my house. Looks pretty nice but the guy always wants way too much for his cars. I think my dads friends with him though so mabey I could get a nice deal...

Camaros are awesome, don't listen to that other guy. My godmother has a '95 thats never given her any problems. I was looking at a 79 the other day but the body was way too gone, had a damn nice 350 under the hood though.

Buff
01-19-2005, 10:16 PM
350,000 miles Tuna? I had heard the newer blazers aren't as reliable..........
hmmm......so 85-89 are good? what about the ones after?

PyRo
01-20-2005, 02:38 AM
Mine isn't blow...
Engines don't wear out, they are neglected to death.

PyRo
01-20-2005, 02:40 AM
:rolleyes: Would that be every Camaro with a 2.8? 3.4? 3.8? 5.0? 5.7? or what engine.
Don't forget the infamous 2.5l Iron Duke. That's right, a 4cyl camaro :)
Seriously between 1967 and 2002 their were probably atleast 30 differant motors used.

PyRo
01-20-2005, 02:41 AM
Those are good motors, the new ones arn't great though.

PyRo
01-20-2005, 02:48 AM
Don't forget your average camaro is beat into the ground, they get beat into the ground and don't get babied like the more expensive sports cars. You just have to find a good one, my first one had 114k on it and was still going strong when I wrecked it. The one I have now has 116k on it and may or may not have a bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block, it's got a few people stumped. I was looking at a 91z28 the other day with 240k on it, the thing ran like it was new the only reason I didn't buy it is because I could probably never find a buyer for it later on with that kind of milage. Go over to www.thirdgen.org and find some of the milage threads, some people manage to blow motors at 120k, others make it over 250k, it all depends on how you maintain it, how you drive it, driving conditions, and a little bit of luck.

Buff
01-20-2005, 10:28 AM
|Tuna, what kind of repairs has your Blazer gone through?