PDA

View Full Version : When is a youngster ready for PB?

Cameo
01-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Looking through different forums, websites and magazines for Paint ball I have noticed quite a number of younger players. I was curious what y'all thought was an appropriate age/level of responciblity for a child to start such a sport? What types of things whould you look for in a child to see if they could handle such responcliblity?
A bit of a back ground. I have a 6 year old son, he is quite feisty (that is an understatment). For as long as I can remember I have thought him that weapons were for "responcible people". It has been brought to my attention by many male freinds that I shouldn't try to keep such things away from him. I am not going to go out and hand him a rifle, but could responciblity be tought with such things as paint ball guns?
~steph

Blazestorm
01-19-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm not quite sure, but my neighbor is turning 11 in feburary, and his parents asked me where they could go to setup a paintball party, which places could do it, and which ones would be the best. The biggest influence on this was just me letting him shoot some of my guns in my backyard, I taught them safety throughout the process and showed him how fun it was.

Couple years later he wants to go play, I plan to go along, let him use my mask (spoil him ;) ) and maybe let him use my gun a few games. I plan to take them to an indoor place where theres turf and airball, not because I enjoy playing there, but it's the worst rain in seattle in a longass time, Just pouring.

I gave my little brother an old spyder and showed him how to take care of it and shoot it in the backyard, he had just turned 7... He takes care of it and knows not to even point it at anyone even with the barrelplug on, tank off, hopper off, and safety on.

Just teach him the right way, right away.

Chronobreak
01-19-2005, 12:48 AM
yes go over rules with them and watch etc as much as possible safety gear.

i would say 8-11 depending on the kid

i dont think ive had anyone under 8...ever..

under 10-11 i would suggest an adault or elder be near/on the field at that time.

also probly at a younger age try to stay in a private group.10--11 people

and let em know be careful with him

etc etc

i started at 11

NewMagMan21
01-19-2005, 01:00 AM
I reffed a bunch of 9 y.o.'s they played pretty well. AThey just couldn't get how to uncock their guns... :rolleyes:

Kallahan
01-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Most people underestimate the intelligence of a single 10 year old, most people overestimate the intelligence of multiple 10 year olds :)

If you sit down and tell them the truth, the safty rules, and watch them when they play, I see no reason a child should not play.

Enemy
01-19-2005, 02:54 AM
my cousin is like 10 maybe younger and he shows more consideration for saftey when shooting his sling shot and thier .22 than a few 13 yearolds.. remember in colorado this 13 yearold picked up the .22 while my uncle was setting up targets and pointed in his direction. i was so pissed the gun didnt stay in his hands for long and i almost put him on his butt he ran off and cried!! so its more dependent on the child than the age! another time was my two brothers the younger one(2 years younger than me) never did anything stupid with my bb or pelet guns but the middle one who is just 1 year younger than me picked it up while i was setting up cans and tried to shoot the cans to startle me he popped me in the hand on the webbing of my thumb!! good thing the pos had bursted its tank so it was no where near shooting at full power but that still hurt i believe i was 13 back then!!

HOMOCIDAL2
01-19-2005, 05:19 AM
One important part of it is, All the rules in the world don't mean squat, if you don't lead by example. Kids aren't as stupid as when i was a kid. If you tell them to do something and you do something else, what do you think they will do? My son is seven, and hes been ready to play for about a year. I'm just afraid to send him to school with a bunch of bruises on his body, and then be accused of child abuse by DCF.

Tunaman
01-19-2005, 05:58 AM
I taught my Son early...gave him the low down on weapons and safety at age 8. I took him to play paintball that same year. We both go shot up pretty good, and he cried a little. I asked him if he wanted to quit and go home but he said no. He is still playing and will be 20 in Feb. Teach him right, and go play with him. You will have a blast. I sure did and will never forget it. ;)

Kevmaster
01-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Cameo...depending on the kid, i'd say between 8-12 is when they would become ready.

somethin like that

Mr. Mouse
01-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Yea i'd have to say 8-12 too, depends how mature/responsible the kid is, and also depends what the field age requirement is if hes under age he cant play but its mostly up to the parent to decide, and if you get the family into it its great, i got me my bro and my dad playing and we go out and play woodsball since there not really airball fans, but hey paintball is all in good fun.

B.A.M.
01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Mouse]Yea i'd have to say 8-12 too, depends how mature/responsible the kid is, and also depends what the field age requirement is if hes under age he cant play but its mostly up to the parent to decide,QUOTE]
Totaly agree. Plus my Cousin is 10 yrs old and i might take him paintballing with me sometime.

nippinout
01-19-2005, 07:28 PM
A kid is old enough to play, when they can be slapped in the face without crying.

JRingold
01-19-2005, 07:45 PM
A kid is old enough to play, when they can be slapped in the face without crying.

Nice, someone call social services.

Seriously, a lot of it depends on the child. If they have an interest and understand that getting shot can hurt, and they still want to play, go for it. You may want to show them some welts from arm or leg shots to be certain that they understand. With my friends kid we took him to an indoor field first, the FPS limit was 270 so it was a little less intimidating. When he went to an outdoor a few months later and the limit was 300, he was able to notice the difference. (Temperature probably had something to do with that also.)

SSniper
01-19-2005, 07:53 PM
^^ unfortunately ive never even been able to see my mag operate above 250 :shooting: because thats what the field i play at is set to lol... but yeah.. i would say that around 10 is the age that i think kids would be ready to play.. it all depends on maturity... and the type of players that frequent the field your taking them to... you dont want them to have a bad experience their first time... having a 10 yr old use a 98 custom versus a bunch of timmys and crap like that...

HoppysMag
01-19-2005, 07:59 PM
i say when they can get hit 3 times from a decent distance at 280 fps and not ball thier eyes out, a little wimpering is ok. but older than 10

the larch
01-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Their old enough when they are interested. Let him shoot the marker immediately and drive home the importance of safety. My son is four and already wants a marker of his own. I let him shoot mine and watch daddy play. All kids are different.

ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT.
take him to a shooting range and show him what REAL guns do. My son is going to a shooting range within the next six months. I know I sound extreme, but I want my son to learn about firearms from me and not from a t.v. show. I want to be the one to make the impression, not a dopy guy trying to put a bullet in bugs bunny. (think about it)

If your child is old enough to watch firearms on t.v., he/she is old enough to learn about them for real, anything else is a cop out.

Pyrate Jim
01-19-2005, 08:10 PM
My daughter learned to read on PB magazines, she could quote the rules at six. She was reffing on her ninth birthday and won MVP/young guns at an MXS event while she was ten. She's something to be proud of.

Kids mature at different rates, they learn responsibility at different ages. If you think they're ready, take 'em out on the field. Play alongside them and watch how they act and react. If they take it seriously enough to pay attention to the rules then they're ready to play on their own.

I really think more parents should be on the field alongside younger players, at least the first time out.

CrimsonTurkey
01-19-2005, 08:28 PM
I taught my Son early...gave him the low down on weapons and safety at age 8. I took him to play paintball that same year. We both go shot up pretty good, and he cried a little. I asked him if he wanted to quit and go home but he said no. He is still playing and will be 20 in Feb. Teach him right, and go play with him. You will have a blast. I sure did and will never forget it. ;)

And if Tuna made it, it's bound to be good.

master_alexander
01-19-2005, 11:00 PM
as others said around 9 is when to introduce the sport and then just shoot in the backyard let them de gas it and put the loader on and reload it take the barrel on and off barrel plug, what to say when your out, that kind of stuff. let them put on a mask and shoot them from about 40 feet away or in the leg or something so they wouldn't be suprised, suprises are not good.and telol them to keep their mask on.

Boski51
01-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Start off in the backyard with the basics of safety and marksmanship. Let him plink at tin cans and such. Watch and see if he listens and follows your directions. If he does, goggle up and let him shot you or try to shoot as you run for cover. See how he does with that. Then I would start him off in a private game with some Dads and the kids. The kids get to shoot whatever they can and the Dad's stand by as bodyguards and take some shots. We have a rule in my circle of friends that we don't shoot at the kids just at the bunckers or ground around them to get them use to the pressure of incoming fire. It works really well. If we do shoot the kids it is in the pack or shoes or gun...something that wont hurt too bad.

At that point the kids have some confidence and are not afraid of the game as much. Then we go to a walk on game and basically play a normal game of PB. We keep the kids close by on the first couple of games just to provide a shield to overshooters if we get that. I have stepped into paint a few times cuz one of our kids was getting a bit to much paint.

Remember to tell your kid to raise the gun up and callout when they get hit, so they don't get shelled by the other side. I have seen a number of little kids just roll into a ball when they get hit by paint and not call out quickly enough.

I would agree that a mature 8 yo could play in a private game with some good fiends. Keep the kids from the walk on games till maybe about 10. Some of this kinds of games can be huge around here and can be intimidating to a real young noob.

MY2Cents

CaliMagFan
01-20-2005, 12:58 AM
I agree with the fact that once a kid can see firearms on TV, he is ready to experience them in real life. Now, dont get him his own gun or marker, but at that point it would help to teach him respect and safe handling of arms. When i play PB i want everyone to treat their marker as if it were a loaded gun at all time, period. So that is the idea that you want to get thru to him... let him shoot in the back yard... i know my neiece loves my PB marker, and she's like 5 or so.

just observe his response and if it seems like way too much to handle, just a wait a while till he can handle the pressure of respecting the power of firearms.

greenarrow88
01-20-2005, 01:11 AM
i started when i was 11 and i havent stopped since. I would say 11 is a great age to start them at paintball. Now im 16 and now have gotten more and more into it. Some of my friends and I have started our own team. Paintball is a great sport but it could have bad effects on the kid if u start to early.

frontrunner
01-20-2005, 12:59 PM
A shop owner i play woodball with is just getting his kids started. they are 6 and 8 they don't play with the group nor do they even come out on sundays with us instead he brings then and normaly another family member out for a bit at other times the use stock tippys and the all shoot about 200. but he has rental guns on had so he can do that. so far he tell me its going well but its hard for him to get used to playing with a stock tippy shooting 200 but that not a problem he still shoot the rest of us with he flatline cocker at 300 on sundays but he says it will be awhile before they join that group

tyrion2323
01-20-2005, 01:04 PM
I had my daughter shooting fully automatic assault rifles at age 3, if that helps at all.

Muzikman
01-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Their old enough when they are interested. Let him shoot the marker immediately and drive home the importance of safety. My son is four and already wants a marker of his own. I let him shoot mine and watch daddy play. All kids are different.

ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT.
take him to a shooting range and show him what REAL guns do. My son is going to a shooting range within the next six months. I know I sound extreme, but I want my son to learn about firearms from me and not from a t.v. show. I want to be the one to make the impression, not a dopy guy trying to put a bullet in bugs bunny. (think about it)

If your child is old enough to watch firearms on t.v., he/she is old enough to learn about them for real, anything else is a cop out.

Good advice. I have been around firearms since before I can remember. I was taught at such a young age to respect guns that to me safety is second nature. A parent trying to shield a kid from guns hurts worse than teaching them gun safety as soon as they can understand what you are talking about. This does not mean put a rifle in the hands of a 4yo, but let them be around a gun, show them how it works and show them what even a .22 can do to a piece of meat.

magsRus
01-20-2005, 01:23 PM
I started at 13. I think it matters how the child was raised and if he is a very spontianous (sp?) wild child. I know that most almost all kids under 13 are hyper but some are out of hand