PDA

View Full Version : hovercraft design, need help

matt-o
01-20-2005, 04:09 PM
i have a 5hp vertical crankshaft engine and it was reccomended that i try to make a hovercraft out of it, and i know it could be done cause i saw it on that show mythbusters, they made two people float off of a 2hp leafblower . i just need input on the skirt and how to mount the engine, and input on getting forward boost would be helpfull too

Muzikman
01-20-2005, 04:43 PM
i have a 5hp vertical crankshaft engine and it was reccomended that i try to make a hovercraft out of it, and i know it could be done cause i saw it on that show mythbusters, they made two people float off of a 2hp leafblower . i just need input on the skirt and how to mount the engine, and input on getting forward boost would be helpfull too

I have actually built a hover craft. They are not too hard, but everything has to be right. Let me see if I can find the page that had plans.

The idea for hover and thrust is that you need a way to divert some of the air down and some of it back (or lift and thrust). The problem with this type if design is that if you want to slow down, you also lose lift. It makes it really hard to drive.

You will want to mount the engin behind where you will be sitting. For a single engine craft a horizonal shaft engin is best, but you can probably get an air box to work with a vert shaft too.

Skirts are not that hard to make, Just be prepared to do a lot of sewing. You will want to make it out of a light material that resists wind and is pretty durable. To start with you can try one of those blue tarps that people use for camping. The big key is to make it even all the way around and make sure you have NO leaks.

slade
01-20-2005, 04:54 PM
heh, i tried building a hovercraft at one point... but the engine i was using wasnt strong enough and i didnt feel like spending the money to get a better one. AO really isnt the forum for hovercrafts though, check out www.xinventions.com. theres a lot of people that know a lot about hovercrafts there.

PyRo
01-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Why not mount a generator on the thing. Then you can use a fan or a few electric leafblowers for lift and a big fan to move it. Or even use two fans on the back (one on each side) have the accelerator like a new holland with the sticks.

matt-o
01-20-2005, 10:17 PM
to the first response, for the skirt i was thinking of just taking an inflatable life raft then sealing and cutting it into a tube then attatching it as needed, do you think this would work, cause it would hold air better than a tarp and be easier to make

some plans would be nice also