PDA

View Full Version : NY Airliner crashs this AM?

cphilip
11-12-2001, 08:30 AM
Do not know details yet but reported a plane down in Queens NY? Stay tuned.

cphilip
11-12-2001, 08:36 AM
American Airlines plane has crashed down in NY. looks non- terrorist type crash but tragic none the less.

AirChunck
11-12-2001, 08:48 AM
Sorry to hear, pray for the victims.

thecavemankevin
11-12-2001, 08:50 AM
as if the airline industry wasn't haveing enough problems as it is. :(

PowerFedMag
11-12-2001, 08:52 AM
an airlines 767, flight 587, crashes in NY, in populated area of Queens. Buildings on fire.
Eyewitness says about a half dozen er so buildings hit\damaged.
Secondary explosions.
Military jets cicrling above.
Some say wing was on fire before crash.

AirChunck
11-12-2001, 09:03 AM
cnn.com

CNN confirmed the plane was American Airlines Flight 587 from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The plane was an Airbus A-300. American Airlines did not immediately release the number of passengers on the flight.

A New York police spokesman said the plane crashed in the Rockaways section of Queens. At least four houses were on fire, and a huge plume of smoke could be seen rising from the site.

All three New York City-area airports -- Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark -- closed after the crash, according to CNN affiliate WCBS in New York. Mayor Rudy Giuliani declared a Level One emergency, mobilizing all available police, fire and emergency personnel.

RobAGD
11-12-2001, 09:10 AM
Reports of an Engin falling off then the plane crashing.

But as a note with all the attention that a hijacking would creat, wouldnt the smart thing to would be sabotage the planes to crash after take off ? Just a though.

-Robert

cphilip
11-12-2001, 09:10 AM
Yes they have now changed it to a Airbus 300. It appears to have just left JFK bound for Dominican Republic and was attempting to return when it crashed. Report of an explosion. But reguardless something was wrong for it to try and return.

cphilip
11-12-2001, 09:13 AM
Thats a thought. To avoid interception you mean? But you would think a larger building presented an immediate target than the four or five smaller ones it hit this time. it appears to have been turning around and trying to get back to the Airport.

wyn1370
11-12-2001, 09:14 AM
Local news says no indication of terrorism, 247 passengers, 9 crewmembers.

Dubstar112
11-12-2001, 09:19 AM
.... I feel very sorry for NYC... its literally falling apart..:( :mad:

Restola
11-12-2001, 09:26 AM
sabatoging an aircraft is harder than it sounds. access to the ramp where the plane sits overnight would be tough. there are also numerous backup systems, so the guy would have to know exactly what he was doing so that it wouldnt come-up during the preflight check, but would still cause the plane to come down.

and if you think its because of an employee, i would think again. the airlines are now doing their 10 year background check (which were supposed to be required at time of hire). my stepdad (works for an airline) says people (mostly janitors) were fired by the dozens once they started the background checks.

udtseal
11-12-2001, 09:37 AM
I feel so bad for NYC and the families of the people on that plane......:( :( :(

PowerFedMag
11-12-2001, 10:05 AM
there is really not even enough evidence for us to talk about this other than speculation.
Unless someone here is an expert on terrorism, planes, explosions, etc...
Just watch the news.

Flamebo
11-12-2001, 01:48 PM
"No evidence of a terrorist attack."

What does C-O-V-E-R-U-P spell?

shartley
11-12-2001, 02:03 PM
I agree with those that say to just watch the news. If you think this is at all related to terrorist acts you have just made their job easier, since I would be willing to bet that they had NOTHING to do with it. This type of thing has happened in the past, and NOT been linked to any terrorist acts.

If people check the news reports for the past year they will see similar events. The world does not suddenly become perfect, and without accidents, simply because we have a heightened sense of security.... and all tragic events, accidents, or mishaps are not suddenly caused by terrorists... schite happens, in these times as it has always been.

My prayers go out to those affected by this tragic event.

PowerFedMag
11-12-2001, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Flamebo
"No evidence of a terrorist attack."

What does C-O-V-E-R-U-P spell?

Does it spell, jumping to conclusions?
Hmm, what happened last time everyone jumped on the poor guy who mistakingly spamed a bunch o ppl through e-mail? What's that? He was inocent? ooooo yea.

Mild 7
11-12-2001, 09:17 PM
I've spent a good 5 and half years in the mid-west and returned to NY finally July of this year. I missed NYC a lot, 'cause this is where I grew up, not to mention, laid my foundation for the love of paintball.

September was a tough month for me, and the rest of NY for sure. My girlfriend left me and left the country Sept 1, then 10 days later, the whole damn twin tower came crashing down. My heart just dropped as the building tumbled down.
Two thing was in mind then: 1. Why? 2. Someone is going to pay.

The rest of the week after 911 was just dark and depressing. I refused to turn the TV on 'cause the media would play the footage over and over again, along with the blames and politics. I didn't even wanna bother. I went paintball instead and guess what I saw? The WANTED pictures of Bin Laden all over the damn paintball fields, by the bunker, in the flag stations, and up on the trees. It's a bit funny and a bit irritating.

Then comes the Anthrax and the scare of the plague, which cause everyone to approach with extreme caution when approaching their own damn mailbox. I feel like a freakin bomb squad when opening up my mail.

I never get that many phone calls in the morning. This morning, there was 10 calls before 10AM. And it took about 10 calls to wake my lazy *** up. Friends called me from Jersey, askin me if I was alright 'cause I live in Queens. I'm like, what, something wrong? Then I learned another plan went down in the Rockaway, approx. 18 miles from my place. I've also learned that's a town of where many fire fighters lives.

Up to this point, I don't really know how I feel anymore. I'm kind of numb to one thing after another. You guys are right, this city is under a lota stress. Unemployment is high, people are paranoid, drug usage soared, and, the malls are empty.

I certainly picked a real good time to return to NY eh?

PowerFedMag
11-13-2001, 06:33 AM
Sept. 5th my great aunt died, Sept. 11th was her funeral, and then before we leave for it: 2x towers fall...
I was pretty numb after Sept. 11th, and rather pissed off.

Then I realize how effective post-terrorism can be, as I hear that the airliner have hardly any passengers, stocks dropping, and with the anthrax(as you mention) people are freaking out about any aches and not opening mail, or even making their houses anthrax proof.

It also reminds me of how foolish people can be, and don't get me wrong, not all those people are foolish some have good cause to do what they're doing. But after the events everyone talks about staying strong, carrying on with life, don't let it affect you because they want that...

Well, I figured I do my measly part, about a week later, the fam and I bought my plane tickets to Florida, and plan on spending some time in Disney World, which I also hear is desserted.
And the mail thing, I don't even care about that, I take no caution in opening my mail (unless of course it's a trashed duct taped box...u kno).
All in all, it just seems to me like people say stay strong, when they're actually quite affected and afraid.