PDA

View Full Version : Dremel drill bit vs. aluminum?

Skoad
01-21-2005, 02:36 AM
Wondering if I'm seriously risking injury here. I have some maybe 2/8ths in thick aluminum that i need to drill into. I have 2 drill bits, one very small and another slightly bigger. I'm not sure what kind of drill bits they are, but I know they are magnetic so they could possibly be steel.

Think its safe to drill in the aluminum with these? Or should I special buy some kind of metal-drilling bit.

Muzikman
01-21-2005, 03:08 AM
You should be safe, but you might ruin or break the bits. The key to drilling through any kind of metal is keep it cool and lubed. Some people use cold warter, I like to use oil. as you are drilling toss a little oil on there. I have used wood bits to drill through metal and I have used metal bits to drill though wood, it's all in how much you value the bit and how much time you want to put into it.

ScatterPlot
01-21-2005, 03:15 AM
Go slow, if you go too fast you will start slipping, overheating, etc. which is bad. If the drill is not really catching and doing any good, well stop and get something better. But in aluminum you should be fine with whatever.

maglover728
01-21-2005, 03:23 AM
The only problem that I see is the title of your post said dremel. Good luck chucking that down tight enough to get through the aluminum with out slippage. Can be done but it is difficult.

Skoad
01-21-2005, 03:29 AM
ok cool, i thought I was ok.

Good point on the lube/cool stuff. I'll do something.

thanks

Muzikman
01-21-2005, 03:29 AM
Ya know, I just re, read it. He's only going though 1/4" aluminum. I could drill a hole in 1/4" aluminum with a butter knife.

MantisMag
01-21-2005, 01:03 PM
now that i'd like to see! :clap:

skife
01-21-2005, 03:30 PM
it'd probably be a better idea to just use a drill.

for lube i use wd-40 on my press, just because its easy and i dont have to pour it, just push the button and it sprays.