PDA

View Full Version : Too cold for Co2?

NITH
01-22-2005, 10:03 AM
When does it get too cold to use Co2? Oklahoma is known for having screwed up temperatures. One day it will be 78 and the next it will have a high of 30. A recent example is this past week. So when should Co2 not be used?

To the mods: I did search through 20 or so posts before posting.

jamescell
01-22-2005, 10:21 AM
about 50 degrees. Please, switch over to hpa. You can get a steel tank for pretty cheap.

jgaudreau
01-22-2005, 10:42 AM
What he said! HPA works all the time. A good tank can be expensive, but it's better than not playing, right? :tard:

Mr. Mouse
01-22-2005, 11:01 AM
def get HPA you can use it in any weather

psychoreaper_666
01-22-2005, 11:31 AM
where i'm from there is no way to get hpa filled :cry: . therefore we make due w/ co2 in any weather. in the winter we put wool socks around our tanks and keep them in our coats between games. (and we always have an extra tank in coats incase we get a little trigger happy and the tank on your gun freezes over)

but to answer your question co2 operates best at temps above 45*F

trains are bad
01-22-2005, 11:35 AM
If you have a blowback you might be able to run it on liquid with a siphon tank. I've done that and it works great.

NoForts4Me
01-22-2005, 02:35 PM
I live in OK too, and have played with CO2 below 40 degrees. The coldest I've played recently was about a year ago and it was 37 and sleeting. I had no problems with my Classic. The Tippy's seemed to have velocity problems that day, and the Cockers worked OK. The Spyders/Clones were hit or miss.

I've played before when it was cold and nothing seemed to work, and then played when no one seemed to have problems. Slowing down on the trigger, warming your tanks as suggested above, or placing them all in a heated vehicle between games can help. You could also just pick up a trusty pump on cold days! To players that live where there is easy access to HPA it seems silly to play with CO2, but some of us don't have that option, and have to get creative. When I started playing there was no such thing as HPA, so dealing with CO2 was the norm, and it doesn't bother me. But, 45+ seems to be the best.

Severe
01-22-2005, 06:13 PM
If you want some good information on playing in very cold weather check these two links:

Doc's Basic Cold Weather Info (http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/cold.html)

Doc's Liquid C02 Use (http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/liquid.html)

Hopefully, you'll find everything you wanted to know there. Enjoy!

NITH
01-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Gracias for all the info. I love links. They make great bookmarks.

Irelandunfree
01-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Guess I can go out and play today, its 14 degrees outside! Damn C02, btw im looking for a cheap used HPA tank.

Dawg047
01-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Hey try this if you don't mind spending some money. Try to get you a 6 stage expansion chamber with a gas-thru stock running with a coiled remote. This works great and allows alot of room and time for liquid CO2 to expand. I have played many games in the snow and cold rain and this has never failed me. I noticed that the expansion chamber seems to keep the cold liquid down in the tank. Tank gets real cold but the marker stays good. Hope this helps. I'm not a big fan of N2 or compressed air and like to keep it old school with CO2. Peace and good luck.

peewee
01-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Play stock class when it falls below freezing... You can keep your 12 grams in your pocket. Hee,Hee, Har,Har!!! Cold weather play sucks if your only air source is CO2. Hey whens brass eagle going to can some compressed air into those little dispoable air tanks??

shatter_storm
01-22-2005, 11:23 PM
It's 5*F right now, if my local field didn't cancel their gameday tomorrow due to snow I can bet I would have seen at least 15 unworking spyders/tippmanns.

Doc's links have good info, check 'em out.

But HPA below 40-50 degrees F is the easy solution.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-23-2005, 01:22 AM
for the price of about 2-3 co2 tanks you can get 1 used n2 tank (or new depending on how lucky you are) Purchasing a compressed air tank might be expensive at first but it will benefit you greatly in the future.

trains are bad
01-23-2005, 01:25 AM
if you can fll it!

some peopled just don't understand.

they think HPA just grows on trees everywhere in the US.

I have a scuba tank, but I have to drive an hour to get THAT filled!

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-23-2005, 01:29 AM
....wrap your co2 bottle in a sock and play with it under your armpit :)

Kallahan
01-23-2005, 01:44 AM
You can get 28 gram N20 disposables, they are for some whipped cream machine ( which sucks banana peals.) I'd like to see someone mod a stock class to use that. The're not that much bigger than a 12 gram.

Evil Bob
01-23-2005, 03:56 PM
So it takes you an hour drive to fill your scuba tanks? Big deal? Find a way for it to "pay for itself" by selling refills to other players. You will quickly find yourself buying a few more scuba cylinders and doing bulk runs. Its amazing what cash in hand/profit can do to motivate people to drive an hour one way once or twice a month. Selling HPA fills used to pay for me to play paintball, is that worth your time and effort?

Expound the benefits of HPA to your buddies, once they figure out that it works well regardless of how cold it is, they'll hop on the band wagon, especially if they can get the air on site.

Expound the benefits of HPA to the local field owner. Some people wont play during the winter simply because their gear doesn't perform well in the cold due to the CO2 performance, more people on HPA means more people playing = more income for the field owner.

-Evil Bob

NITH
01-27-2005, 05:50 PM
I ended up playing Co2 in 32-28 degree weather. Everything was good for a while but my mag did not like the Co2. My mag now hates me. I now have a fund to start collecting for a HPA steel tank. Do not make offers I have no money yet, just a fund.

skife
01-27-2005, 06:30 PM
i've played with CO2 in sub zero tempatures, i was using a tippy with the velocity turned all the way up (just so it would get more co2 in the gun) i was shooting snow it was way cold.

we were playing outside in alpena michigan in the middle of january.

way cold.

Eatem Alive
01-27-2005, 07:01 PM
put a sock on it and stick one of those disposable hand warmers in it. it worked for us.

psychoreaper_666
01-29-2005, 07:42 PM
put a sock on it and stick one of those disposable hand warmers in it. it worked for us.

bad idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

had 3 friends blow burst disks that way!

however you can put them on the outside of your hopper to keep paint from getting brittle in the cold weather

BTW we've played in -5*f weather and not had many problems w co2 (with the exception of spiders)