PDA

View Full Version : AO is slowing dieing

ThatDarnSquirel
01-22-2005, 11:08 PM
From what i have heard a lot of banning has been going on. That is really going to destroy this site. Does ne 1 else think so.

GT
01-22-2005, 11:10 PM
From what i have heard a lot of banning has been going on. That is really going to destroy this site. Does ne 1 else thing so.

Your lack of intellegent posts and poor spelling will kill the site>

peewee
01-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Dont know of anyone being banned etc. In truth have seen many more first time posters as of late. Its winter most of my crew is spending time with family etc.

_tMAN
01-22-2005, 11:21 PM
AO has been slowly "dieing" for years now. Is it really? Well just ask youself this, why is it still here?

Target Practice
01-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Dont know of anyone being banned etc. In truth have seen many more first time posters as of late. Its winter most of my crew is spending time with family etc.

So, you missed the 15 or so bannings of upstanding members today and yesterday?

SpecialBlend2786
01-22-2005, 11:31 PM

yeah seriously. there have been more bans in the past few days then....ever

Chronobreak
01-22-2005, 11:40 PM
cant we demand to know who was banned?

i figd bob was for all teh retarded pic pocs...who else? did they do anything as dumb?

mods cant just "ban " people.....BRING IT TATO ;) :shooting:

how is somone with two post talking about ao dying? :confused: :tard:

anyways..... :sleeping:

if anything i blame some of the newer members....

Miscue
01-22-2005, 11:41 PM
cant we demand to know who was banned?

i figd bob was for all teh retarded pic pocs...who else? did they do anything as dumb?

how is somone with two post talking about ao dying? :confused: :tard:

anyways..... :sleeping:

if anything i blame some of the newer members....

We're working on a solution to this stuff that I think most of you will like.

dj89
01-22-2005, 11:42 PM
You have 3 posts.......... How do you know any thing about what has been going on?

O What other forums?

Target Practice
01-22-2005, 11:43 PM
We're working on a solution to this stuff that I think most of you will like.

I hope so, Brian. I really do.

Sparq
01-22-2005, 11:56 PM

Yes they can, and that overused emoticon will not protect you.

FireITup14
01-23-2005, 12:06 AM
its not that the great AO is slowly dieing, its that poopy PBnation is just getting bigger.

skife
01-23-2005, 12:15 AM
From what i have heard a lot of banning has been going on. That is really going to destroy this site. Does ne 1 else think so.

today is the re-birth of AO.

dj89
01-23-2005, 12:17 AM
today is the re-birth of AO.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :clap: :headbang:

What happen to cphilp?

quik
01-23-2005, 12:25 AM

You tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, your grammar doesnt matterrrrerrrererrrr.....

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-23-2005, 12:52 AM
and i thought this thread was going to have a legitimate debate or something...

stop whining buy a mag
01-23-2005, 12:57 AM
I think AO is slowly dieing too. I'm pretty new here, but lots of the newer posters are ruining the forums.

Can the mods make a test that someone has to take to join AO? Possibly make them type a sentence that can be clearly read by all of the English speaking people here.

Flaming has gotten out of control in the past month or so and the mods are putting an iron fist down on it. Can't blame them too much.

master_alexander
01-23-2005, 01:07 AM
it is the new guys here. i have been a member since august, 5 months ago i joined. i am not that new but have learned alot thanks to this site. i have read alot and think that the bans are the new guys that don't know the rules or don't want to learn or obey them. The world is not like it used to be either, [we have indoor plumbing (j/k)] according to my parents, there is more sex and drugs and violence. that is the problem and it is influencing some people to act wrongfully.

well, that ends my ramblings for the day.

Target Practice
01-23-2005, 01:09 AM
This thread is an example of what is wrong with AO.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-23-2005, 01:13 AM
Target Practice is right, this thread just isn't.....like...AO
It's all just rambling and ranting and nothing intelligent

68magOwner
01-23-2005, 01:14 AM
yup, definately going downhill

thecavemankevin
01-23-2005, 02:33 AM
You have 3 posts.......... How do you know any thing about what has been going on?

O What other forums?

my guess, he is someone else that created an account to post crap like this.

RtDaNiMaL
01-23-2005, 03:31 AM
actually he got caught up in the ao talk today. he is a good friend of littlepaintballboys (banned) when we had an ao day out at the field. i personally think the mods have been going a little power crazy. they need to relax a little. not to be hating, but they have ahd some really stupid bans. Well, come on everyone, lets hop on the banned wagon!!!

thecavemankevin
01-23-2005, 04:01 AM
actually he got caught up in the ao talk today. he is a good friend of littlepaintballboys (banned) when we had an ao day out at the field. i personally think the mods have been going a little power crazy. they need to relax a little. not to be hating, but they have ahd some really stupid bans. Well, come on everyone, lets hop on the banned wagon!!!

well, i staned corrected.

and i've been on the banned wagon for no good reason...but i'm back now

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-23-2005, 08:14 AM
anyone care to sum up what happend that caused the mods to start a banning frenzy?

shartley
01-23-2005, 08:33 AM
I think “upstanding’ would depend on what “clique” you belong to on AO.

Also, sorry to tell folks, just because you may be “popular” does not mean you don’t do bad things or deserve to be banned. What happened these past few days was not with complete innocence on the part of those who got banned. People forced issues and showed their rears, and they got spanked.

NONE of you would have complained if this had happened to people you felt were “unpopular” or you didn’t “like” on AO, in fact some of these people who got banned were actually trying to get OTHERS on AO banned. Now that is really upstanding, isn’t it?

I think it is time to realize that there were problems (and probably still are) with BOTH a certain group of members AND some of the Moderators. But as always, it is easier to point fingers at everyone else and act like no one is responsible for their own actions.

anyone care to sum up what happend that caused the mods to start a banning frenzy?

That would be difficult since most of the posts are now gone. Also depending on how you WANT to see things. You can blame either side (members/moderators). I think BOTH were a bit wrong, but mostly the members. Now there is a mad scramble to somehow appease them… for what reason I have NO idea.

There were inappropriate things posted by both sides, and from issues that stem WAY back. Most of the underlying issues have nothing to do with what most newer members even know about. AO has always had a darker side that was left to fester as long as it didn’t get posted ON AO (but actually did get posted here in the form of obscure signature references and other things, and sometimes outright attacks in a wolf pack manner). And that festering and belief in a certain group’s “power” over AO and what goes on here finally spilled back onto AO in a manner some Moderators would not put up with.

AO has changed, yes it has. AO is not however dying. And I think everyone needs to take a good long look at themselves and see how they are contributing to the problems or trying to correct them here on AO as well as other related places. AO members and Moderators need to seriously take off their blinders and step back from personal “relationships” with others here and look at what has really happened over the years and why things have gotten to the point they did these past few days.

You can’t start healing until you honestly and objectively address the issues and causes of the problems. And up until NOW this has never been done. AO has always taken the “easy” way out… to their detriment.

TheDuelist
01-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Excellent post Shartley. I don't know where I stand in this community but I do know I want to do what I can to get it going in a positive direction. It will take time but I have a good feeling about it. Everyone needs a little shake up every once in awhile. Perhaps a little spring cleaning will do us good.

FutureMagOwner
01-23-2005, 09:28 AM
You tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, your grammar doesnt matterrrrerrrererrrr.....

LOL

to be honest ao has changed in the past couple years and i think its obvious from the past couple times tom tried to propose new products, in the past we gave constructive critism, comments, praise etc now its either OMG I LOVEZ IT WHEN CAN I BUY IT EVEN THOUG I HEVE NO MONY and thats ugly it must suck... granted we had those posts back then but they were either few and far between or they were in separate threads (for example that vote back the z-grip thread)

slade
01-23-2005, 09:42 AM
I think part of the problem is that there are so many people left in the dark, and they are mad about the recent bannings and thread closings with no explanation... myself somewhat included. ive been trying to piece together what happened on AO through the thorums and lpb's board, since everything on AO has been covered up by the mods. the problem is that there is a lot of ranting and less explaining, links to dead threads, and everything is from the point of view of the banned. ive been able to figure out for the most part what has happened to some people, but not others. there were many links to AO, for almost all of which i received an error. i think more than 30+ threads have been deleted. I think what we need is for the mods to tell us what happened, the banned to be able to come back and give their point of view, and we should let AO decide their fate.

GT
01-23-2005, 10:22 AM
I think “upstanding’ would depend on what “clique” you belong to on AO.
What happened these past few days was not with complete innocence on the part of those who got banned. People forced issues and showed their rears, and they got spanked.

I have read the recent banned list on thorums. I think I know what is going on with most, to be perfectly honest alot of those gus should have been banned years ago. Now the screwed up part is army and phil, we will probally never know the "whole" story.

gt

Bolter
01-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I joined AO because
a) Im a mag freak
b) because of the intelligent and informed posts by members such as Shartley, Jack & Coke, Cphil etc

AO is not dying or going downhill, there are just loads of youngsters with large post counts repeatedly spamming threads with "in before the lock" and other useless comments, and other members just flaming anything anyone says.

This is the minority. The majority of members are ok.

frontrunner
01-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm lost on this Ao is dying thing, i know haven't been around long but besies so recent threads i never notice i guess i figured it winter so paintball isn't the biggest sport going on in alot of states around here. it seems like there were always alot of guys that like to push the limits around here and oneday it wa decided it had gotten way out of hand and it was time to crack down. Not an easy call but one i think you have to respect. I still find everything i need at this site new gear gonna get on of those viperblades , old gear I love to shop for used stuff most poeple here are great traders and all the tech help a guy could need. I have also met some really cool poeple here so i'm still hooked

PBX Ronin 23
01-23-2005, 12:43 PM
What brings an end to anything? It's when that thing stops being what it was and what it was intended to be.

All you nay sayers say what you wish and quite frankly, AO would probably be better off without some of your heady contributions and your open display of your maturity levels.

So long as you have even a handful of intelligent and witty posters and mods who care about their "thankless" jobs, AO WILL SURVIVE and THRIVE.

Bring your soapbox non-sense and let it all hang-out. In a few days, it wouldn't be as cool as you think and we'll all get back to normalcy.

Show some respect not only to your fellow members but also to the site and what it stands for. I'm sure there are other more accepting forums on the web for you non-sense.

bofh
01-23-2005, 12:56 PM
O What other forums?

There are no other forums. Shush. :ninja:

ogre55
01-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Just remember that this forum is owned by the manufacturer. It will stay up as long as it does more good than harm to the manufacture's image/good name/bottom line.

The minute that this forum starts to do more harm than good, don't be surprised when you type in www.automags.org into your web browser and see "The page cannot be displayed".

Ogre

skife
01-23-2005, 01:57 PM
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :clap: :headbang:

What happen to cphilp?

rebirth....

Automaggot68
01-23-2005, 02:09 PM

Dude, You've been here since when? December?
I agree with GT.

Automaggot68
01-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I hope so, Brian. I really do.

I have faith that he will, Ryan.

Rokudon
01-23-2005, 05:30 PM
i'm not sure about AO dying, since i havent really visited here in 2 months, but i did originally join here because the people here provided some great information when needed, none of that PBnation stuff. i stopped visiting this forum (paitnball talk) here about 3 months ago because i started to notice a rise in the newrer members and their....comments. i stayed in deep blue and workshoop for a while longer, but then people started to move into there as well. after that i just switched over to some other forums.

AO isnt dying, its just getting more popular, although maybe a touch bit too popular. again, i havent visited here since december so i'm probably not up to date about what's been happening...

RtDaNiMaL
01-23-2005, 05:53 PM
i love ao and would never want to see it die down, i have met great people on here and i do not really want the site to die. but just for those who need to face the facts, a lot of the popular people are wjhat kinda makes this site awesome. And on thorums, most of the people should not have been banned on the banned list. take a look at like 5/6 of them. they shouldnt be gone at al, and never really should of been for the stuff that they did. it ewasnt even bad. the mods are just going power crazy in my opinion. if they dont like what they see or hear from some person, if it doesnt match their opinion, they go on their bad list. then when they say something, or do something the mods dont like, but is totally okay with ao rules, they are banned. just watch me be gone in less than a month cus i am heated up with the mods. i mean come on... look at littlepaintballboy. the kid is 12 years old, and he was awesome on this site. you gotta be kidding to give him a life time ban for something so stupid!!! i mean come on... get a clue, the kid is not going to be on here, and i personally loved his opinions as well as many others that i know. we all met on ao, and now that so many people are banned from here, we are all most likely going to move to a new forum where we can actually speak our minds and not have mods breathing down our backs. i remember when i came on ao, it was a free space to write your opinions...but not nbow with the crazy power all mighty mods. (edit: only some, others are cool, but the ones that arent u know who u are.)

well i g2g. dont delete this mods, let ao speak their minds.

DaNiMaL

unban the dead!!!!

p.s. can u give me back my sig.

also.....ublpb

challenger454
01-23-2005, 06:10 PM
I subscribe to another site (not paintball related) every so often, the person that basically hosts the site starts these Chicken George, the sky is falling, pleas for money to keep the site running. I have never seen that on this forum. There seem to be some really good sponsors on here...and alot of the threads seem to be well informed. PBNation reminds me of the local movie theater at the mall where all the pre-pubescent kids dress in Marilyn Manson shirts and harass bystanders. AO is a great site and should be around as long as the Automag will. To be honest, its AGD that I want to see some new ideas from, but that is another topic.

Lohman446
01-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Ready... here is where become very unpopular very quickly.

Cliques have formed on AO - someone in one of those cliques was banned... stepped around a ban to make a post, and was further banned - those be the rules boys, you circumvent a ban your gone. It does not say "circumvent a ban without reason".

Well... this clique, or others, was already annoyed because moderators enforced the rules. Now I am not going to say that I disliked anyone in this clique, and some I found rather friendly, but that does not mitigate what happened.

This clique somehow managed to massively break the rules, try to disrupt the forum, and make general nuisances of themselves. Some of them were banned for actions that were meant to be nothing more than disruptive - now I will admit right here I don't know the whole story.

Here is what we end up left with - the moderators and that clique had a skirmish if you will, we lost two of the best moderators over it... and we have the whole clique left. Apparently popularity does equal rights, unless your a moderator. We lost two very good, very involved moderators for enforcing th rules and trying to enforce order. Now I don't know the whole story here, I don't want to, nor do I presume to question what the others have done... but from what I see.

Well... we lost moderators to a popular clique, that clique proved it was more powerful than the rules of AO.. and frankly it disgusts me.

Now I move on, I stated my beleifs, my thoughts, and the fact that I don't know the whole story. I will mourn the loss of two people I would have liked to know as friends and the continued presence of a clique, that taken as a whole, is annoying.

Glickman
01-23-2005, 06:13 PM
as said in the new rules, dont ask for unbans... they wont happen...

banning might be the only thing keeping AO together

theres a few cases that might be morally debateable, but in nearly every case, there was fault from the person.

i really like the thread with the bans listed now, hopefully it will help

i think theres only a few problems:
- Mod wannabe's
- Other forum migrants (just few here and there, no forum specifically :rolleyes: )
- People who whine to mods
- People who think ignoring people is cool (yea, goes without saying, shows who is poisining our gene pool)

other then that, AO isnt in such a tattered post-wwII frenchy look as people describe i think....

Aliens-8-MyDad
01-23-2005, 06:50 PM
eh as long as AO doesnt slip into "AGG" im alright... i dont know whats goin on with the bans but i'll admit, im not as intrested in AO now so much since tom left.

jekyll
01-23-2005, 07:43 PM
People come and people go. You don't think that your community is going to die when a few of your neighbors move out, do you?

I joined this forum because I was told that it had a mature community, unlike the last forum I was a member of. If the mods felt that certain members were hurting the community despite their ecool points and banned them, I support them in doing so.

RtDaNiMaL
01-23-2005, 10:18 PM
People come and people go.

yeah, but more people would stay if the mods didnt ban some of the coolest people on ao and take away their mod priveleges!!!!
personally i am disgusted at the mod banning spree right now. a certain some one who had a 10 day ban and then made a new name to pm cphil about something, then accidently posted, but deleted it before anyone saw it now has a life time ban. I mean can you (ao mods) really be so ignorant to give someone a lifetime ban for pm'ing phil his e mail so that he can talk about why he got his first ban ever? personally, once again i am disgusted with ao mods at this point in time!

DaNiMaL

Lohman446
01-23-2005, 10:23 PM
yeah, but more people would stay if the mods didnt ban some of the coolest people on ao and take away their mod priveleges!!!!
personally i am disgusted at the mod banning spree right now. a certain some one who had a 10 day ban and then made a new name to pm cphil about something, then accidently posted, but deleted it before anyone saw it now has a life time ban. I mean can you (ao mods) really be so ignorant to give someone a lifetime ban for pm'ing phil his e mail so that he can talk about why he got his first ban ever? personally, once again i am disgusted with ao mods at this point in time!

DaNiMaL

I don't buy that any of you beleive the person in question was stupid enough to "accidentally" post while banned. Making a new SN to PM phil was a violation of the rules technically but I doubt anyone would have done anything about it if it were not for the post. Then again, if the forum is that important to you, one should make sure that there current e-mail address is on file.

I don't care right this moment... this spat will get over with, we will have lost some mods, we will have lost some members, and AO will continue

Recon by Fire
01-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Yeah, AO is dying, and mags are out dated :)

Cliques? Darn, I feel left out now...I thought AO was the clique :)

magmanl337
01-23-2005, 11:44 PM
AO is slowing dieing

AO has been slowly "dieing" for years now.

its not that the great AO is slowly dieing

I think AO is slowly dieing too

DYING.

REDRT
01-24-2005, 01:11 AM
I think the root of the problem isn't AO. It goes deeper, AGD. We are all talking about old technology. Granted it was way ahead of its time, but it is getting dated. I think we are all a little uneasy. Are numbers are dwindling, the product line hasn't really had anything new for awhile and there isn't a hint of positive change in sight! At times I loose a little faith. It is said,"It's darkest before the dawn". Kind of dark here right now. We could use a sign.

angelpena
01-24-2005, 02:02 AM
I sure hope AO is not dying! I just joined a few months ago when I got my first Mag (mini) I now have a RT valved Mag and a Sydarm on the way to me, I own many guns and when I'm not playing pump, 4 out of 5 times my choice for a semi is my mag, just because it works everytime I air it up, if working everytime is not cutting edge technology, I guess I'll just be a little behind the times...

Miscue
01-24-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't think AO is dying. Look how active it is - the numbers are still up there. It's changing, no doubt about it. Change is an inevitability.

rkjunior303
01-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't think AO is dying. Look how active it is - the numbers are still up there. It's changing, no doubt about it. Change is an inevitability.

but not all change is good.

Target Practice
01-24-2005, 11:52 AM
but not all change is good.

But there is always someone who can find good in EVERY change.