PDA

View Full Version : Considering selling my viking, need opinions.

m20power
01-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Today I went to my local field with my franken cocker pump and my AKA Viking. I had a pretty good time but I felt bad going through so much paint with the viking. I love it and I can honstly say its the nicest gun Ive ever shot but the money is killer. I need at least a case for a day of play and being a college student its just too much money.

I just started playing with a pump and so far I love it. The challenge is great and I love the looks on angel owners faces when they see what got them out. Im thinking about selling my viking and getting a phantom. I have nothing against semi auto but I just cant afford to play with how much it costs. I think that would be better than letting the viking waste away in my closet for two years. If I did that then I would put my pneumatics back onto my cocker and use it as my semi auto marker.

I have mentioned my idea to a few of my friends and fellow players and so far all but one says that I would regret selling the viking. Which is why Im asking you folks on AO. Because you rock and I need some more perspectives.
In case anyone is curious its a 2002 AKA viking, was eyes, pandora board, SCM, Mightly Max, BP no rise, JMJ razor trigger, and all the other stock viking goodies. I payed 700.

And in closing...... :dance:

shatter_storm
01-22-2005, 11:37 PM
you should sell it. I'll give you 500. :P

seriously, if you feel the money crunch, snag a pump and play on the cheap for a while. You're going to kick yourself later on down the line if you sell a nice marker now. I mean yeah, it's worth some money now, but if you like it and arn't tempted to buy new gear every year, it'll be just as sweet in a year when you can pick it up again.

Sell it if you need the instant cash, keep it if you just need to cut back on costs.

peewee
01-22-2005, 11:39 PM
With the money from the viking you can get a humm dinger of a phantom setup
( Recommend VSC with 45 frame CF gravity feed breech & T stock if needed) OR a CCM series V pump. I'm a bit of a gun whore but I always keep a phantom. Here's a few places to look.

http://www.whitewolfairsmithing.com/phantom.htm

http://www.chipleymachine.com/store/

http://airsoldier.com/~phog/

ej_y4
01-22-2005, 11:40 PM
keep the viking. I normally play with my phantom also, but its nice to have a speed ball gun on hand. Welcome to the college life! :clap: pumps are a great way to save money. plus its great to play speed ball with them

WenULiVeUdiE
01-22-2005, 11:49 PM
You could always play with a revvy. It will greatly limit your speed and should help you cut down on paint. Also, I found that using 100 round pods or no pods at all will also cut down your paint consumption. But being as you are in college, you would save alot of money with the phantom, which is always good.

minimag03
01-23-2005, 01:44 AM
You should get around $650 - $700 for it with all the ups. I'd suggest trading it for something like a retro mag or cocker + cash. That way you can always have a semi around that isn't that mush of a paint slinger and you have some cash let over. BTW, If you pump is putting the balls where you aim it then you probley don't need a Phantom; keep in mind I have never shoot one though :tard: .

-minimag03

magman007
01-23-2005, 04:23 AM
i reccomend keeping the viking, atleast for a while, their resale blows atm. i just sold my 04 featherlight for only 1050. crappy resale if you ask me

SpecialBlend2786
01-23-2005, 05:36 AM
i reccomend keeping the viking, atleast for a while, their resale blows atm. i just sold my 04 featherlight for only 1050. crappy resale if you ask me

yeah i noticed that too.

but if you're in a crunch and the right offer comes along, i'd go for it. Also look into AM Illusions. amazing pumps at a great price. http://www.actionmarkers.com/mall/IllusionLineProductPage.asp

use the "68cal" coupon and you get 25%

magmonkey
01-23-2005, 08:41 AM
do what I did, Keep the High end stuff and get a used Phantom (or other high quality pump)
and alternate weekends

if I have the money to burn I play with the Karta emag or DC Viking

if i am feeling cheap (or broke) I bust out the phantom or pump minimag and HELLO $25.00 paintball weekend

Alan DC

GT
01-23-2005, 10:26 AM

I sold my new feather right before resale got real bad. Still sold mine for 1300, but about a month after I sold mine vikings went the way of angels. I am not sure why?

WenULiVeUdiE
01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Still sold mine for 1300, but about a month after I sold mine vikings went the way of angels. I am not sure why?

Most likley because the season ended a few months ago. Starting around late october-early november people dont play as much. There are holidays to deal with, other winter activities to participate in. This means that most have less money to spend on paintball and lowers the demand for new markers.

teufelhunden
01-23-2005, 10:31 AM
I'd sell it. Although I'm a bit partial, as I'm doing the same thing with my Timmy. I'd rather have the few hundred bucks sitting in my pocket than in my gearbag. And if you ever decide, in a few years, that you want another vike, they'll probably be worth even less so you could get one cheaply.

punkncat
01-23-2005, 01:00 PM
When I was in a money crunch I found a local field that would trade ref for play time. It helps a whole lot.

m20power
01-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Today I went to my local field. It was a sad day because it was the last day of play at TAAG in Coursegold California.
I talked to Marty about selling my viking and he says I should try out for his team Bad Karma for novice or rookie. I forget which one is the entry level. Blarg, Im trying to save money and then he mentions that. If I was good enough to make their team then I think I would do it. Marty is one of the coolest people Ive ever known and apparently they are all pretty easy going. I guess it would be nice to look back and said that I did something like that.

Any more opinions.

tyrion2323
01-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Keep the viking!

rkjunior303
01-24-2005, 06:34 PM
keep it..

you have pandora -- set your ROF lower and use a revy... You don't HAVE to shoot 18-20 bps......... Plus, if you have eyes or are using a halo -- buy cheaper paint if your field allows it.. I play with $30-40/case on BYOP rec days on my vike and I have no problems with it

yakitori
01-24-2005, 06:53 PM
keep it. Just dont shoot so fast all the time. I dont have any probs when I go out w/ my emag. I go through a case in a day too, but I dont always have to. I just end up staying at the field until Im out of paint, even though Im tired and hungry after around a half case.

you should tryout for the team too. If anything, at least get some idea of what level of play you are able to compete.

m20power
01-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Today we burned half of the bunkers at TAAG. Of the 30-50 regulars I was the only guy who showed up to help out. We dragged all the wooden bunkers towards the clearing, made a big pile and watched them burn. The pile of ashes afterwards would proably fill 3-4 pickup trucks. The fire was so pretty but we were both very sad to see it all go up in smoke. There isnt another field around like it and I doubt there will be for a very long time. I have so many memories from the oak tree bunker to the manzanitas in speedball. Aaah paintball nastalgia.

I talked to him more about the team and he would not really say if he thought i could make it or not. I guess he dosent want to get my hopes up only to have them be crushed. They play in the XPSL and I am not sure how good you have to be for their lowest level team. Ive watched some division 3 nppl tourneys and a lot of those players are terrible. I mean the average guy at my field is better than them but the average guy at my field dosent have a few thousand to spend on tourneys.
I talked about selling the viking and getting an excal but there isnt any real reason to. I got a great gun for 700 and it does everything I could want and more. It goes through paint but as Marty said, "The gun dosent go through paint, You go through paint."

At the moment I think I will keep the viking and try out for the team. I am curious to see if I can compete if that level and so I dont have to look back wondering what could have been.

TSovern
01-25-2005, 10:21 AM
If you change your mind, I would love to have my old Viking back. I have an Illusion and some $ to offer is it ever comes to that. Good luck..