PDA

View Full Version : is a automag good back player gun

mvp_kid
11-12-2001, 04:53 PM
i was wondering if the automag is a good back player gun because i need to upgrade to a different gun i shoot a spyder right now and i just joined a 5 man team and i need a different gun and was wondering the the tko automg would be a good choice i kind of want to buy a cocker but i shoot one a couple of time and the trigger is hard to getr used to well if anyone has anything to say about it please post something.:confused:

FooTemps
11-12-2001, 04:58 PM
The mag is a good back and front player gun. It is consitent, reliable and small. You just have to watch out for short-stroking but a way to avoid that is an e-lcd frame..

Russ
11-12-2001, 05:19 PM
Uh oh, the "Mag vs 'Cocker" range debate is geeting ready to rear its ugly head ;)

A Mag's trigger takes some getting used to, also.

DYE-BaLLeR
11-12-2001, 05:32 PM
i luv mags but if your gunna play back, personally get a shocker or a cocker. yes their not as small and light as mags, but they do have a good reputation for being accurate. mags are excellant front player guns because they are small and can shoot very fast, mags have what it takes to be a back player gun but isnt the best choice for that style of playing.

Drizit
11-12-2001, 05:43 PM
for a back player i'd get a shocker and LOTS of air.

mvp_kid
11-12-2001, 05:50 PM
i think i will go with the cocker i will be getting a 114 ci nitro with it too and i have a 6 pod pack so all i need is the cocker and i'm gettin the nitro for christmas thanx for all the input.

Russ
11-12-2001, 06:01 PM
Is that all it took to convince you?

Mega Man
11-12-2001, 06:29 PM
cocker... they are nice guns that are perfect for back players. If you cant get used to the trigger then get a nice hinge trigger for it, my friend has one on his cocker and it is sweet!

DYE-BaLLeR
11-12-2001, 07:41 PM
mags are great guns but nbot perfect, cockers are better for backmen. period.

Miscue
11-12-2001, 08:06 PM
There isn't a particular gun which is better for a particular postion, unless you're considering the size of the gun... how compact it is. Obviously a smaller gun is good for front players who are often cramped in their bunkers. There's the ROF issue too, but you guys understand how that works for you.

It's that damn back block, I'm telling ya. Thank goodness they didn't make it shiny too, otherwise people would claim that it made balls break on target more often.

FeelTheRT
11-12-2001, 08:14 PM
You can't really say this gun is more for a back player, and this is more for a front. It's the player has to adapt to the gun either way. it's not like you automatically become a so mcuh better back player if your using say a Shocker..

DYE-BaLLeR
11-12-2001, 08:16 PM
i disagree with feel the rt and miscue, back player have to shoot long distances so they would want an accurate gun, and some guns are more accurate then others. theres a counter example for your two theorys

ThePatriot
11-12-2001, 08:23 PM
What is this...now everyone is using the term theory whenever anyone says so, i like being a trend trend setter

~WarpedRT~
11-12-2001, 09:26 PM
If your looking for a gun that will shoot long distances why not get a Tippmann with a Flatline on it? But i'm not saying to get one, I just sudgested what shoots the farthest. And besides, I think the whole "cockers have better accuarcy and more range than mags" thing is old, and dead. The accuracy and range is the result of a paint to barrel match, good or bad, and besides, 5 man fields aren't all that much bigger than 3 man, so why would ytou need all that so called "extra range" from the cocker anyway?

If you get a good paint to barrel match, a mag can shoot FARTHER, AND BE MORE ACCUARATE THAN A COCKER. My mag is far more accurate than any of the cocker I play against, because I use only a select few brands of paint. Also, a back player is going to need to shoot faster than any other player is, so he would need the faster gun. Get the mag, get a good paint to barrel match, and see what you think.

Drizit
11-12-2001, 09:39 PM
hmmm Tippmann /w flatline now why didn't I think of that before. put a reactive double trigger and a MaxFlow on it and hey it's a death machine. better consider a warp for it though. bet you didn't think your old rental gun could go head to head with an angel with the right upgrades.

Bartleby
11-12-2001, 09:43 PM
just to sum up a few things that have already been stated that i am in concurance with.
a back player needs:
1. high rate of fire
2. accuracy (comes with barrel}
3. distance ("")
4. efficiency

things that really don't matter for a back player are those pretaining to size. you could have a gatling gun and it woulnd't make a difference. the thing that really matters is what gun feels right to you. if you can't shoot a cocker, you better not go out and buy one. if you don't like the weight distribution of a mag, do not aquire one. test them out, and see which is best for you. yet stay within the 4 guidlines above. good luck :D

Cliffio
11-12-2001, 11:08 PM
why i dont think a mag is a good choice for a back gun....
i dont think that you can accieve the rates of fire that you might need to, i mean kinda like a stock cocker, its just not gonna do that job, if i were to decide i would get a bushy, i mean they are light, come with high rises, can shoot faster than a mag, a shocker is a little more money and is equaly as fast, little bit of a gas hog, but your gonna beed a 68 anyways for back, as far as range goes, just get a 14" barrel, i mean its not going to make a BIG difference but it cant hurt, just dont go out and get you the 18" boomer, you wont need it
emags are nice, little more money, but they are fast
2 team mates have them, i would say their are better than bushys.

so what i really mean to say is...get an angel

Cliff

Cliffio
11-12-2001, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Drizit
bet you didn't think your old rental gun could go head to head with an angel with the right upgrades.

please tell me your not comparing an angel to ANYTHING tippmann makes

mvp_kid
11-12-2001, 11:19 PM
thanx for all of the input guys i will be trying out a 2k1 cocker this weekend and also a mag and this will decide which one i choose thanx for all of the suggestions and imput everyone.

Miscue
11-12-2001, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by DYE-BaLLeR
i disagree with feel the rt and miscue, back player have to shoot long distances so they would want an accurate gun, and some guns are more accurate then others. theres a counter example for your two theorys

On this planet, tourny guns shoot same distance, same accuracy.

This Bushy vs. Mag thing... electro vs. semi-auto... that's not a fair comparison... also considering price/etc. But, an RT despite being non-electro is on par with an electro in the right hands.

Mags can shoot considerably faster than a cocker. Even electro cockers are limited to 10bps because they simply cannot cycle fast enough.

Bartleby
11-12-2001, 11:31 PM
a retro mag/rt pro/emag is the undisputed king of ROF. be it electro or not, nothing comes close.

Cliffio
11-12-2001, 11:33 PM
my firends f5 is set at 12bps with the A/C eye

but i dont think you can get much higher than that, but i mean really when do u need it faster than 10 or 12?
off the break maybe, and even then your runnin, or walkin, its hard to get it then

Cliff

booyah
11-13-2001, 11:33 AM
I got one for ya....

guns i have owned
4th Gen bushmaster
Powerfeed mag classic with dye double trigger
powerfeed mag with stock frame and double trigger
powerfeed mag with zgrip
RT with stock frame
RT with zgrip
RT with stock frame and double trigger
97 mini cocker tricked to the hilt (only stock pice was the body)
99 Mark II custom cocker (nothing stock)
Tippman model 98 (with flatline, double trigger, regulator and lowpressure mods)
PMI g3 piranha

so a decent list to speak from experience

the fastest gun i have ever shot you ask? the RT with zgrip. blew the bushy right out of the water... no comparision. I could max the bushy as fast as the board would let me shoot (13.5 for the non LCD versions) and the RT was quicker...

the bushmaster in my hands compares to the powerfeed mag with dye double trigger in speed, the mag is smaller, and more consistant.....

the cockers are fun, but mine have both been suction timed and ran too low of a ram pressure to chop paint, those are the only reasons i like cockers....

If you ask what guns I have kept through it all though? the only one i kept was the mag, currently with a zgrip and a warp feed, i can out shoot any hopper you put on it, and am dead on accurate with it...

Just my experiences and milage may vary

Cliffio
11-13-2001, 11:40 AM
??whA??

i must have missed something, anyways
did i say that bushys were the fastest??
if so u didnt mean to, i mean i might have missed something, but i was comparing a basic mag to a bushy, *which isnt really fair to start with*

you mean you have had all those guns and no angel?
your missin out:)

i know lots and lots of people here swear by their mags, and i am sure if i had a mag and it worked for 75 years i would love it too:p
BUT ive had a few angels and i have gotten to the point where i really cant shoot anything else...

but on the same side, while my new angel is getting rippered, i played with a stock mag this weekend and other than the hard trigger it wasnt too bad, i actually enjoyed it, didnt have to worry about anything, well except for breakin paint, but it was old old paint

anyways

Cliff

booyah
11-13-2001, 11:46 AM
eh, i never liked angels.... personal preference....

One of these days i may end up with one but probably not soon, i just dont care much for electros.... besides, after shooting a mag for a while, they all feel WAY to big in my hands...

Several people suggested the bushy since it was a small light electro, but just didnt work for me, still too big...

Bartleby
11-13-2001, 12:10 PM
i can't stand electros and i've used and owned a large number. i find they're like automatic transmition on cars. you just don't have the feel and same understanding of the marker. just never worked for me.

by the way, i saw a video of a guy shooting a p/f mag, with out a retro, at 14bps with no shoot down. i don't know about you, but that's fast enough for me. my fingers aren't as nimble as booyah's :D

Webmaster
11-13-2001, 01:31 PM
back to the original question - I play back/middle - and with and emag. My only problem is running out of paint too fast! I can get rid of a burst faster than any other gun...

And to add to the arguement - use what you are comfortable with. And gun can be used to play in any position -its how the player uses it. All guns get the same range and accuracy - so the point is rather moot as to what to use.

Cliffio
11-13-2001, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Webmaster
All guns get the same range and accuracy

THANK YOU!!!

been sayin that for years!!!

Cliff

MajorDamage
11-13-2001, 02:42 PM
A mag is just plain a GOOD gun. It will work good for back, mid, or front players, and the TKO package looks really nice. Go for powerfeed though!

ENDO!

FaSSt
11-13-2001, 04:03 PM
This is not the most important point of the ones made above, but about the M98:

The Flatline and the RT mod are not an ideal combination. According to Tippmann, the flatline barrel poses a limitation in terms of ROF. And a Flatline M98 is one gun you DON'T want to have a ball break in.

mag_pbg
11-13-2001, 04:45 PM
Im a back player( not the best) and I use a mag, I love it, when ever my team needs some cover fire to move up or get a angle, I just stick my mag out and let the paint fly!!!! Cliffio, Im sorry but I have to disagree, a mag is fast enough for back play, i've held off a bushy and angel ( No lie ) with my mag classic, till I stuck my head out to far and they shot me!

~WarpedRT~
11-13-2001, 06:25 PM
Cliffio, face it, you shoot an over-priced, over-rated gun. If you pay anywhere near that, you better buy an E-Mag. And you cant start comparing an Angel to a regular Mag anyway. And you'd have to be smoking some seriously big piles of crack to say that an Angel is better than an E-mag. It costs like $12 to make a gun electronic(I know someone who makes paintball guns for a living. Know those pistols called the Wolf Pack?). And the stock Angel barrel is probably the worst I have ever shot. I have talked to many Angel owners who say that they can send 400 balls towards a guy who left his ankle hang out, and not hit him once. And it's not that an Angel can shoot so much faster than most guns, it's just that it can reach it's maximum faster. F5's are junk. I have seen 4 of them already and everyone wasnt working properly. The owners wanted to drop them in the trash.

Buy the Mag, you don't want a big scratch on your mask because you accidentally got too close to the back block on a cocker do you? With the mag, I can put the back of the gun as close to my mask as I want, and not have to worry about anything. Been thinking of putting something soft on the back of it, just so I can put it against the lens of my mask to help me tuck in tighter.

Also, i have noticed that people with Angels have an over inflated ego(makes them more fun to shoot up). With a Mag, people know you mean business and your not just another rich little brat.

Cliffio
11-13-2001, 07:28 PM
well obvioulsly im not gonna start an argument on the AUTOMAG forums, about this, but i disagree, this is by far the nicest gun ive ever had, ive played for 6 years and had numerous guns, ive had 3 angels and i loved each one, i eve had an adrenalin, how bout that for over priced, however it did shoot the nicest out of the 3
over rated? hmm ok, whatever you say chief
the jacko infinity series barrels are very nice, i loved mine.

as for the ego thing, seems to me you think you have all the right answers, now u wanna talk ego?

not lookin for a fight, i have an angel and would never trade it for anything else, you have a mag, u like it, lets leave it at that

Ityl
11-13-2001, 08:01 PM
i luv mags but if your gunna play back, personally get a shocker or a cocker. yes their not as small and light as mags, but they do have a good reputation for being accurate. mags are excellant front player guns because they are small and can shoot very fast, mags have what it takes to be a back player gun but isnt the best choice for that style of playing.

I didn't bother looking to see what others wrote but here's my idea on this: People are living in the past. Every gun has the same accuracy (within reasonble limits). This is something that was said years ago. Shockers are really fast now, so are cockers. Get the gun that fits you good, you can shoot fast, are comfy with. That's what matters. My bro played back with an RT and had many many kills.

dye-baller-no offense to you, not meant to insult or piss you off. you aren't the first. :)

MagMan5446
11-13-2001, 08:16 PM
Every gun shoots just as far and just as accurate as any other gun as long as it has a good paint/barrel match and is at the same velocity.

An RT is the fastest cycling gun that is made today. This includes anything with a ReTro valve.

The only thing that effects accuracy is the paint/barrel match.

The only thing that will effect range is air consistency. (assuming that you don't short stroke)

The gun that you want to use (for any position) is the gun that you are most comfortable with. This includes size and ROF.

Personally, I hate angels. I can't stand that trigger (or lack thereof). This is MY personal preferance, it might not be yours. But the stock barrel on and Angel is about as good as it gets. The Jacko Infinity Series of barrels is great.

Just my 2 cents.

DYE-BaLLeR
11-13-2001, 09:20 PM
people, the only thing that affects accuracy isnt JUST paintbarrel match, you think a talon will shoot as accurate as a tippman is u put the same barrel on both and run the same paint thru both?dont think so. i kno mags are great but there not the best at EVERYTHING. just think a little bit and get out of the "mags are the best for everything" attitude

Cliffio
11-13-2001, 09:37 PM
I'm dumb

yes, yes you are
you cant compare anything brass eagle makes, we are talkin somethin like a cocker to a mag, if it has the same paint barrel match they will shoot the same, in theory, but all paintball guns dont shoot the same, so you cant test it easily
but they should shoot the same

Russ
11-13-2001, 10:07 PM
OK, I'm gonna jump into this fight swinging :D

First off, how many of you have actually tested the range and accuracy of different guns, held in a vice, all set at the same velocity, using the same barrels (a Freak???) and the same paint from the same case.

My guess is no one.

But still the myths of range and accuracy are all around us. Many just don't want to believe that the laws of ballistics apply to the paintballs we shoot. Instead, our guns have elves inside who apply their voodoo magic to the paint, making it fly farther, and more accurately. "Cocker must have more elves than most other guns, because they're the MOST accurate ;)

Hmm, I need more elves. ;)

Cliffio
11-13-2001, 10:11 PM
$5 shipping for the elves

lmk
Cliff

Bartleby
11-13-2001, 11:13 PM
does an elf have a soul? if so, how much do you think they go for?

DYE-BaLLeR
11-14-2001, 06:27 AM
u think a spyder is as accurate as a tippman?

PAINTBALLA01
11-14-2001, 08:58 PM
Nothing wrong with the automag, but i dont believe it is a good back player gun. You might want to look at bushmasters or something electric tribal, urban ($300) etc.

The Mad Painter
11-14-2001, 09:03 PM
i play at MVP and live not to far from Fulton. my email is british7chap@yahoo.com drop me a line. maybe our teams can get together. we're palying this saturday, the morning session if ya wanna jump in and join us. we'll get there around 8, till 12:30. lotta highschoolers going, noone special. just fun rec ball. catch ya later.

Kyle Anderson