PDA

View Full Version : I need some help for my 1st tourney

AGDmagman2001
11-12-2001, 05:33 PM
I've got my 1st tourney coming up. I've got some questions for the tourney experienced out there. It's a 3-man tourney, my team is playing in the rookie division but the prelims are going to be a mix between Rookie, Novice, Amt. We are guarantied 5 games minimum and from what the guy we talked to sad there will be 10-15 rookie teams. We're not quit sure how much paint to get. We were going to get six cases but someone told us that that was way to much. So I think were going to get 4 or 5. The three guns that we'll be using are, two automags and a bushmaster. My gun and my brother's(bushmaster) both have lapco bigshots, and our other teammate has a medium bore SP teardrop. The poll is between the paint that we've considered getting. Also any tips for playing would be appreciated.

Sorry to take so long.

zvanut
11-12-2001, 05:40 PM
try marbs,

for tips all u have to do is play smart and communicate. thats where my team lacked in our first tourny.

shartley
11-12-2001, 05:41 PM
Is it a BYOP (bring your own paint) Tourney, or do you have to buy from them?

I know many Tourneys use their own paint for Insurance Reasons. If that is the case (no pun intended), asking what kind of paint you should get would be pretty much a non-issue. And if that is the case, you might want to ask them what brand they are selling so that you can get a good paint to barrel match.

Again, I don't know how they are doing it... just offering advice. :)

AGDmagman2001
11-12-2001, 06:06 PM
It's BYOP

shartley
11-12-2001, 06:11 PM
Okay... :)

I voted then!

On another note...... there is NEVER too much paint! Mwahh hahhh hahhh!!!!! If you can afford it, store any extra, etc., what is the big problem with having more than you may need? It would give you a good excuse to use it up later! ;) :D

Mag89
11-12-2001, 06:12 PM
Don't be afraid to get hit or anything.If only I would have remembered this on our first tourney.....:o btw we played against 10 and 11 year olds with angels.

AGDmagman2001
11-12-2001, 06:13 PM
We get one case with entry fee. So do you think we should get four cases of something like marbs or 5 cases of 32 team colors.

xmetal2001
11-12-2001, 06:33 PM
hmm...i was planning to play in that tourney too(wildfire?) should i have already signed up?? Hmm..i'll call them tommorow,
whats your team name?

AGDmagman2001
11-12-2001, 06:36 PM
We're playing at the wildfire too. Are team name is Vengeance. Maybe we could meet each other someplace. Is your team playing rookie. We haven't signed up yet either.

xmetal2001
11-12-2001, 06:44 PM
I'll probably be signing up tommorow. Have you ever played at Wildfire? Played the 3man in August? Our name is Team Tantrum. I actually think we might be entering 2 teams. Anyway, i seriously dought you'll need 6 casess for 3 people, thats 4000 balls per person! The paint they use is Red TOP-BRASS with pink fill, its cheap, so don't buy any more paint from them other than what you get.

mac2k4
11-12-2001, 06:52 PM
i say go with the JT, cause i think its the thinnest shelled paint, so you'll break on'em, if they break in your gun, oh well, it'll prolly happen a lot in yalls mags(being lil' rougher on thinner shell paint. If your having lots a breaks move up on bore sizes,

DYE-BaLLeR
11-12-2001, 08:43 PM
is this tourney at wildfire paintball ? cuz i kno you live in GA and im going to a 3man dec.1st their

Deadpool3
11-12-2001, 11:23 PM
Are you'll talkin about wildfire's indoor field off highway 78?

Cliffio
11-12-2001, 11:27 PM
well i like all star out of those choices BUT its a small bore, but if u have a barrel to shoot it, its super bright and has the brittle shell, i dunno how brittle shells shoot out of mags......
anyways thats my vote

AGDmagman2001
11-13-2001, 06:35 AM
Never played at Wildfire before. And the tourney was move to Dec. 8. The sight hasn't been updated, the guy said his computer crashed that's why the date hasn't been updated and the forms aren't up, but the entry and all are the same as the 3-man from Sept. It's on the outdoor fields.

Ityl
11-13-2001, 03:19 PM
I've never used flash but marbs and all star are too small for those barrels, get paint that fits. People are saying JT is good. Just get good fresh stuff that is the right size and you shouldn't have a problem.

DYE-BaLLeR
11-13-2001, 04:32 PM
so u are gunna be at the wildfire tourney dec 8?

AGDmagman2001
11-13-2001, 05:02 PM
Yes that is correct, probably going to sign up in a day or two.
Ityl: I've been hearing that the marbs are medium bore, anybody here use them in a medium bore? Any way I just ordered a bag of 500 to try.

FeelTheRT
11-13-2001, 05:42 PM
hrmm... i say use something abit more harder than JT, All Star and other brittle paint to prevent breaks.

xmetal2001
11-13-2001, 06:25 PM
I'll be there, i'm ordering a case of Marbilizer for me to shoot.

DYE-BaLLeR
11-13-2001, 06:57 PM
isnt the wildfire thing fpo?

AGDmagman2001
11-13-2001, 07:45 PM
No it's BYOP or buy theirs. But theirs is about $75 a case for nasty which is very good.

DYE-BaLLeR
11-13-2001, 07:55 PM
i talked to em and they said entry fee was 180 per team but u get a case of 2500 balls

AGDmagman2001
11-13-2001, 08:18 PM
That's right

Snooky
03-23-2002, 07:47 PM
well i think 2000 balls is more than enough for each one of u. so buy maybe 3 more cases of paint. i highly doubt ull shoot that much paint in the tounrey. maybe im wrong but the turney we played in no one on our team used more than 2000 paintballs. i guess its up to u to think how much ull use.

Strategy - Communication without it ur gonna lose and lose really bad.

Hope this helps.

Kaiser Bob
03-24-2002, 12:09 AM
LOL where did you drag this up from Snooky? looks like the tournament has long since past. :)

xmetal2001
03-24-2002, 06:29 PM
LOL! This has been brought back from the dead! Yeah, that tourney was Dec 1 2001 and it was cancelled.

AGDmagman2001
03-24-2002, 10:49 PM
Yeah this is old but we played the same series this year, last saturday, our first tournement. We took first place.:D

I'm the one on the left

AGDmagman2001
03-24-2002, 10:52 PM
O yah, we played 7 games, maxxed 5 of them, lost the two to a novice and am team in the prelims, used under 2 cases between the 3 of us. Had a great time.

one more pic for the heck of it

AGDmagman2001
03-24-2002, 10:53 PM
why not another, then this thread can die...if you'd like it too

FatMan
07-02-2002, 03:51 PM
Shoot what works best in your maker with your style of play. That's what matters, not public opinion.

As for strategy, keep it simple your first time out. Ge there early to walk the field, try to agree on names for the various bunkers. have a simple code to keep up with how many players remain on each side.

Make sure your equipment is working reliably - this is not the time to try a new part or a new setup. Practise your individual skills.

Don't expect to win. Play your best, and then talk about what happened afterwards and try to learn from each game.

Most of all try to relax and focus on your game. Don't worry about how fancy the other team's jerseys, markers, or team name is. Just play good ball.

FatMan

Slapp
07-02-2002, 04:10 PM
I've only played a couple tourney's myself but I thought I'd pass along some of the info my teammates gave me.

- Constantly communicate with teammates. Yell out the location of opponents and yell out if you are shot out.

- Keep open lines of fire and dump paint down those lanes to keep opponents less mobile and behind bunkers.

- When not firing down lanes to allow teammates to move, try to keep moving yourself. Press the field to the opponents and try to open up firing angles so that between you and your teammates you can get better angles. If you sit still the other team always knows where you are and it is easier for them to gain position on you.

- Always greet the other team with a well meant "good luck" or "cya in the middle", and always finish the match by telling them "good game" rather than just walking off.

- Thank the refs and tell them good job. If you think you may be marked but are not sure, call a ref over and ask em. Wipers seldom ask and the refs will know you are a clean player if ya ask em. They appreciate clean play and they appreciate being thanked for the job they do. Imagine yourself in their place and treat them accordingly.

- Have fun and be sure your teammates and opponents do too. You are not in the tournament to earn your next mortgage payment so don't allow yourself to get mad or dissappointed with yourself, teammates, refs or opponents.

- Watch the other teams closely for how they use the field and how they advance. Some teams tend to use the same tactics again and again, use this knowledge. You will notice some players that always come out on the right side of bunkers because they are uncomfortable shooting leftie. You will notice that some teams always head for certain bunkers off the break.

- When the adrenaline gets going you are likely to use more paint than you thought you would. Plan your supply accordingly in case you are bringing your own paint. Better to have some extra than not enough.

Good luck out there!

AGDmagman2001
07-02-2002, 04:44 PM
man this thread has come back from the dead twice

original date of the post 11/12/01
first come back like 3/24/02
and now 7/02/02
if ya'll like it that much, you can post, but I'm no longer gathering info on this subject, but thanks for the advice anyway

xmetal2001
07-03-2002, 11:50 AM
LOL, how do these threads get brought back from the dead, It's not like it was a superintresting post by AGD or something(no offense Magman)