PDA

View Full Version : Is AO mac dominant?

slade
01-24-2005, 05:24 PM
just read this, it is paintball related. mods if you really think this belongs in fc, move it.

ok i dont spend that much time in FC, so i dont know exactly if AO is mac or pc dominant. but i was just thinking, if someone says: "i want a marker that is reliable, and will never let me down. it doesnt have to be the best or fastest out there, but i want it to work when i need it to, with little maintenance." almost all paintballers, especially AOers will say "get a mag."

now if someone says: "i want a computer that is reliable, and will never let me down. it doesnt have to be the best or fastest out there, but i want it to work when i need it to, with little maintenance" of course most people will say "get a mac."

so i was just thinking about that and woundering if, since mags are fairly reliable markers and a lot of people like mags because of that, if AOers would be attracted to macs for the same reason.

discuss.

Python14
01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
The Mac PC debate is almost as ugly as the Automag Cocker debate once was.

Eitherway, I can safely consider myself neutral as I own both a mac and a pc

minimag03
01-24-2005, 05:31 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't. I don't know that much about macs and my Dell/Windows hasn't broken or crashed *knock on wood*.

-minimag03

Z-man
01-24-2005, 05:57 PM
I think AO is PC. I am happy to see that Apple is making some nice cheaper machines to tempt you all but unlike the Automag, the Mac is about the most expensive computer you can choose to buy. The Automag is on the cheaper end of the paintball gun market. All the same, our family has been Mac only since I was born.

Miscue
01-24-2005, 06:03 PM
MiniMac - MiniMag.

iMac - EMag

OS X - Level X

PowerBook - PowerFeed

Hurm.

C_22
01-24-2005, 06:20 PM
The Mac PC debate is almost as ugly as the Automag Cocker debate once was.

Yep. Perfectly well said.

Chronobreak
01-24-2005, 06:56 PM
two diff things...

while macs are GREAT why would ise use soemthing i can NEVER find aprts for or cant fix myself (if soemthing WOULD go wrong) or heaven forbid i want to upgrade seomthing on it. :rolleyes:

why would i use a mac when everyone else uses a PC and upgrades,work, etc are fairly easy to do. with only a minor rare sytem crash to deal with or the blue screen of death :eek:

Buff
01-24-2005, 08:27 PM
uhm.......I have never felt the need to get a mac........

I have built my own comps since I was 12........dont have problems 'cause I dont have off-brand RAM, PSU etc.......

Mac OS is built off of Unix.......so is Linux ;)

So if u like the feel of Mac OS.....install some distro of Linux on a PC......

I like Yoper......and I can set it up to act like Windows (no crashes :D ) or like Mac OS ( no mac hardware :D ).

mark_1791
01-24-2005, 08:51 PM
I have both a mac and a pc, but i use my mac for AO and anything but games. Yes, I like my mac cuz it is reliable, whereas my pc, although not bad, has had to go into the shop like 3-4 times. My mac has only needed to be fixed once :D

Jeffy-CanCon
01-24-2005, 09:04 PM
I have wondered this, too. It would make an intersting poll, I think.

(I have a PC, myself, as do most of the Mag users in my club)

RRfireblade
01-24-2005, 09:26 PM
PC here, one of 3 at the house plus all of 'em at work.

Not for any reason other than...well...that's all I ever had.

I do own and shoot Cockers too so if anyone wants to trade a Mac for a PC I'm game. ;)

bofh
01-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Mac for home here, Solaris and Windows for work.

And a 12" powerbook for connecting to any computer that my clients have. :)

GT
01-24-2005, 11:08 PM
what's a mac? I dont think i have used fruit since the appleIIe

v_3Sterns
01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
FreeBSD and a Powerbook here;
yes yes, buy pc, buy windows, use your wi-fi at your local coffee shop
let me get your pr0n :)
jk

barrel break
01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
PC, nothing I want to run except photoshop will work with mac, besides, the macs we used to use locked up waaay more than any windows I've ever used.

jayloo
01-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Solaris & linux at work and home for getting the job done right everytime

pc for playing UT2004 and editing videos.

Blazestorm
01-24-2005, 11:21 PM
I've yet to have a true computer crash with XP so far. When I was working with I-movie in video editing class a couple years back I was using an I-Mac and you had to save every other time you did something or you could say bye bye. That thing crashed more sparatically than suicide bombers... :eek: (No offense to you bombers out there)

Conversekidz
01-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Xmags = G5's mac
Emags = G4's mac
X-valve = P4 (pc)
Classic Valve = 486 (pc)

haha

v_3Sterns
01-25-2005, 04:50 AM
i dont know, one of the osx quirks i love is that you need to use the admin name and password to install anything.

I know this can be set in XP Pro with different user profiles, but in osx you can write custom SUDU scripts to determine what types of apps to install and during certain times

even though that feature isnt some new panther thing, just a unix thing. I just love being able to be in a sexy environment but i can get under the hood with complete control via an Xterm

Banshee23
01-25-2005, 09:32 AM
now if someone says: "i want a computer that is reliable, and will never let me down. it doesnt have to be the best or fastest out there, but i want it to work when i need it to, with little maintenance" of course most people will say "get a mac."

Um, no they wouldn't. Apple has about a 5% share of the PC market. So with that in mind the vast majority of people you would run into would probably not recommend a mac as they either don't have one / have never used one / have never even considered one. And the more reliable thing is stretching it just a tad. I'm going to guess you've never worked in a printing/graphics shop before. Lots of macs here, all OSX - amazing how often those little buggers crash out. It's not an everyday thing but happens enough where I would never make a conclusion that they're any more reliable than an XP machine. Just because the Steve Jobs hype machine says Apple is greater that sliced bread doesn't actually make it so. Mac's are nice for what they do, but better? Nope, don't think so.

PS. This is definately a Friendly corner thread :)

Thordic
01-25-2005, 10:32 AM
While Win98 and Win95 weren't the most reliable of operating systems, I've been using WinXP since its release and I don't think I've gotten a single blue screen, and I never have to reboot unless I'm installing something that requires it.

WinXP = Reliable.

bofh
01-25-2005, 12:51 PM
While Win98 and Win95 weren't the most reliable of operating systems, I've been using WinXP since its release and I don't think I've gotten a single blue screen, and I never have to reboot unless I'm installing something that requires it.

WinXP = Reliable.

Hey. I thought you said you left.

Beat it, you long haired PC hippy.... and move out of your parents house.

Seriously...

I've gotten blue screens in XP and 2003. I've had my Powerbook freeze up on me. Both of them crash.

Reliable is Solaris.

Reliable enough? WinXP and OS X.

And that's if we don't count the downtime to spyware and worms. :)

Kallahan
01-25-2005, 01:21 PM

discuss.

No, get a linux box.

bofh
01-25-2005, 01:36 PM
No, get a linux box.

eh, people run linux on the damnest hardware. And normally the cheapest hardware possible.

Cheap hardware = Not reliable.

Hexis
01-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I love my PowerBook, but then again, I love my PC for what it does right too.

I own a MiniMag, and a EMag. But I also have a Orracle.

Why fight, just enjoy the best of both worlds.

BTW folks, if you have not used macs since OSX (maybe even 10.2), you have not seen what they are like these days. OSX is not a simple linux clone, nor is it similar to OS9 and below. IMHO it's by far the nicest OS avaliable for any platform. The only negatives I see with it are a lack of application support, and cost of the hardware to run it. Apple did a lot of things just plain right with OSX and their hardware. That does not take away from the fact that OSX is a crappy platform for gamers. Nor does it do much to give you access to the multitude of PC only apps in the world.

Z-man
01-25-2005, 02:46 PM
This is one of those threads destined to run in a circle.

Person 1- I used Mac 5 years ago and they sucked! PC all the way

Person 2- Mac are waaay better than Windows could ever hope to be

Person 3- Jobs is a Nazi the penguin is god.

Person 4- I use both and I KNOW that (PC/Mac) is better

Person 5- lol Macs suk

repeat 10-12x (for ideal effect change the order and write some in ALL CAPS)

On a serious note I was linked to this nice read a few weeks back. Some Lifelong PC guy spent a month solid on the Mac system (NOT an afternoon). It's a long read but I do like the overview it gave of the Mac warts and all. IMO it's a very accurate representation of the strengths / weaknesses of the system.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2232

v_3Sterns
01-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Um, no they wouldn't. Apple has about a 5% share of the PC market. So with that in mind the vast majority of people you would run into would probably not recommend a mac as they either don't have one / have never used one / have never even considered one. And the more reliable thing is stretching it just a tad. I'm going to guess you've never worked in a printing/graphics shop before. Lots of macs here, all OSX - amazing how often those little buggers crash out. It's not an everyday thing but happens enough where I would never make a conclusion that they're any more reliable than an XP machine. Just because the Steve Jobs hype machine says Apple is greater that sliced bread doesn't actually make it so. Mac's are nice for what they do, but better? Nope, don't think so.

PS. This is definately a Friendly corner thread :)

If helps if you actually run osx, not windows xp with the Aqua theme :)

Big Weapons
01-26-2005, 01:26 AM
I think AO is PC. I am happy to see that Apple is making some nice cheaper machines to tempt you all but unlike the Automag, the Mac is about the most expensive computer you can choose to buy. The Automag is on the cheaper end of the paintball gun market. All the same, our family has been Mac only since I was born.

Oh yes, only proven by bringing that iBook or whatever it was to an AO day ;)

bofh
01-26-2005, 09:14 AM
There are only three places that one would be able to find mac dominance: Schools, Mac forums, and hell. Oh and MP3 forums...

And media production houses, and places that do web design, and publishers. Oh and Video editing.

Oh and those places that do Unix consulting, and need their consulants to run Office natively.

Otherwise, yeah nobody has Macs. :rolleyes:

kosmo
01-26-2005, 09:22 AM
You would surely find a presence in those places, yes. But not a dominance. Not even close.

And media production houses, and places that do web design, and publishers. Oh and Video editing.

Oh and those places that do Unix consulting, and need their consulants to run Office natively.

Otherwise, yeah nobody has Macs. :rolleyes:

wageslave
01-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Every OS has it's place. Don't forget that Microsoft is a software company, and Apple is a hardware company. Microsoft decided long ago that it would create software to run on commodity hardware, while Apple still (for the most part) controls not only the operating system, but also the hardware that it runs on. All of the UNIX/Linux administrators in my company's IT department (including me) use Macs running OS X, since they provide the best mix of UNIX-compatibility while still natively supporting enough mainstream apps to allow us to interface with the rest of the company using Windows. The point is that I would never suggest a Mac to someone unless I thought it would really be a good fit for them. Quite frankly, that's not very many people (although I love my Powerbook to death). Similarly, although I have been a Linux user since before there was even such a thing as RedHat, I would not suggest Linux to most people. As in all things, every operating system has it's place in the world, and calling one better than the other is like saying that an SUV is always better than a sports car, or vice versa. it all depends on the needs of the user.

And for my final plug, check out this updated version of Neal Stephenson's <i>In the Beginning was the Command Line</i>, called <a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~android606/commandline/index.html">The Command Line in 2004</a>. It offers great insight into the "OS Wars".

jayloo
01-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Has everyone updated their virus softeare definitions on their windows pcs today? :D

Do they even make virus software for linux/unix systems (yes, this includes macs too. What do u think os x is)? :rofl:

The majority of folks posting dont really know the difference between all the os's and their respective hardware. They have a windows computer and thats all they may ever know.

bofh
01-26-2005, 11:08 AM
You would surely find a presence in those places, yes. But not a dominance. Not even close.

No dominance in media houses? Maybe not on the manager's desks, but everyone who does work at those places...

Buff
01-26-2005, 01:30 PM
I've gotten blue screens in XP and 2003. I've had my Powerbook freeze up on me. Both of them crash.

the number one reason why different systems crash is the hardware.......

if its built right, it wont crash.

heck, I had a Win98SE system that ran perfect for anything I ever did...no hiccups. I cant remember a single time it crashed.

its the hardware folks........ :headbang: