PDA

View Full Version : Anime geeks+engineers= OH NOES!

ScatterPlot
01-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Lookie what I just found! I think this is possibly one of the most farfetched ideas I have ever seen that people have spent money on. I mean they have spent like 5 years and countless amounts of money for this? Wow. Check out this site:
http://www.mechaps.com/
Yeah. They're trying to build a gigundous mechwarrior thing. Yes I said warrior; they want to put guns and armor and all on it. They expect it to be able to go something like 160 mph. It runs off some weird disk and rod system, where like a disc rotates which moves a rod, actuating the leg, etc.
And they want to arm it. And maybe put on some jumpjets. Yeah, they think that they can actually build a super duper fighter mech thingy. If they can hey, more power to them, but so far they haven't said anything about the most obvious problems, of which I will name a couple:
Balancing with only one foot on the ground
Fixing the little disc things to make it so that it can walk on non-level ground

That's all I got (for now). What do you think?

Head knight of Ni
01-25-2005, 12:20 AM
How about materials and a suittable power system.

CrimsonTurkey
01-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Power is the only real problem. A small computer could possibly control a gyroscopically balenced setup. When on one leg it could shift a weight to one side etc. On the other hand, methinks you might run out of gas really fast.

SAW
01-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Nuclear? Not.

CaptaiN_JacK
01-25-2005, 07:16 PM
In the pics section they have a pic of a Chevy engine (I'm too lazy to go back and see what it was). I highly doubt it will have sufficient power to make this thing go 160.

SAW
01-25-2005, 07:34 PM
160mph on two mech legs? :rofl:

Deltree
01-25-2005, 07:38 PM
fusion reactor? neural interface?

RogueFactoryKid
01-25-2005, 07:39 PM
I wish I could dump countless paychecks on something mechanical that can shoot that will never really help me acheive anything.......oh wait. ;)

CrimsonTurkey
01-25-2005, 07:45 PM
160 in a car on a chevy engine is hard enough. Perhaps they meant they planned dropping it from 261 meters? That would cause it to attain a speed of about 160mph.

MantisMag
01-25-2005, 08:00 PM
i saw this a long time ago. still nothing substantial built. anybody can collect random parts and draw up designs. why do these guys get so much attention? :rolleyes:

CaptaiN_JacK
01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
And will someone tell me where their actual prototype image is? They have a bunch of different 3d rendered mechs, but I don't know which one they are trying to build. They don't really say anywhere "hey, this is the one we're going to build".