PDA

View Full Version : "livestrong" cancer bracelets

Cameo
01-25-2005, 01:13 AM
I know most everyone has seen the Yellow "live strong" rubber bracelets that sell for $1. When I first saw them I thought it was a nice idea an all but did not rush to get one or anything.
I finally got mine this past weekend from some friends. The one I was given also had "Live Long-SS" written on it. The SS is the initials of someone close who is fighting the battle with a form of cancer. I thought this was such a touching idea, it actially made me cry.
I stopped at a gas store today and the clerk saw the bracelet with the extra writing on it, he said that it took away from the origonal idea of the bracelet. What do y'all think??

quik
01-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Dude they totally get me the hottest chicks out there.

Good idea, bad marketing. Or wait, good?

I dont know.

SpitFire1299
01-25-2005, 01:38 AM
I think its a great idea. The clerk probley didnt know what it meant.

magman007
01-25-2005, 02:04 AM
i hate to say it, but it may be a fake. sick bastards have been falsifying them now to make a quick buck. it doesnt mention the liveling lettering or the initials any where on the lance armstrong faoundation website.

pbzmag
01-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Here is a link of the Official LiveStrong Bracelet (http://www.westchestergov.com/consumer/LAF/LAFSTATEMENT.htm) info. You can buy them in 10 packs from www.laf.org. Here's a link (http://toddstorch.typepad.com/business/livestrong/) to a website that tracks potential fakes.

Muzikman
01-25-2005, 03:25 AM
I think what she is asking is if a custom made (hand written) bracelet for someone fighting cancer takes away from the meaning of the yellow bracelet. I say no, not if it makes that person feel good. It's still $1 going to the correct fund, a friend just decided to make it a little more personal.

magman007
01-25-2005, 03:44 AM
oh muz, im sorry i wasnt aware of how the question was being asked. my answer is in no way does it take away the significance of the bracelet, and it means that much more.

skife
01-25-2005, 02:27 PM
i'm thinking the whole bracelet thing is a trend.

like not using drops..

RogueFactoryKid
01-25-2005, 02:36 PM
we have a bracelet around local shops like that. It's a green one to help with a neighbor of mines lung problem, he needs 2 new lungs or he's a goner. It's a good idea.

SCpoloRicker
01-25-2005, 03:57 PM
i'm thinking the whole bracelet thing is a trend.

like not using drops..

psh.. its "literally the least you can do."

/go volunteer at a cancer center

B.A.M.
01-25-2005, 04:08 PM
or you could just donate $ instead of buying a bracelet but they are a nice idea but definaly turing into a trend.

Python14
01-25-2005, 04:27 PM
If the trend benefits Cancer research...who cares?

I've got one I wear everyday.

Glickman
01-25-2005, 05:33 PM
If the trend benefits Cancer research...who cares?

I've got one I wear everyday.

but if people make fake ones, that only hurt the research, as that money could be going to the cancer society, i think thats kinda what the inital post was about

i think thats the poor moral values on the people who decide to make money and possibly fool people into thinking they are helping out the cause.

im sure there would be a case against these people if they werent developing them in such small, and misc. places

1- They still say livestrong
2- They are taking away from the profits to the cancer society

so not only are the fake ones produced illegaly, they are morally foul (atleast thats my opinion)

on the other hand, the real ones are great, i dont like fashion trends, but ill find somewhere to put it

CaptaiN_JacK
01-25-2005, 05:42 PM
We all know it has become a trend, but honestly, is that a bad thing? I wish all charities that sell things became trends, the world would be a much better place. Maybe we should try and get the adopt-a-sniper bracelets to be a trend.

skife
01-25-2005, 08:49 PM
its better than those "support our troops" magnets...

i swear that every car with a magnet can't own just one, they have at least 2.

CaptaiN_JacK
01-25-2005, 09:38 PM

i swear that every car with a magnet can't own just one, they have at least 2.

It's funny, because now that I think of it, it's completely true!

Cameo
01-26-2005, 01:24 AM

/go volunteer at a cancer center

Sad to say that volunteering at a cancer center isn't as easy as it sounds. It is not like if you were to become a candy striper at the hospital or volunteer at an old folks home. The emotional strain is like nothing I have ever seen before in my life. So many of the people at a Cancer center go there every week and have so much faith and hope that thier miracle will come, yet for many of them the miracle never comes.. They go through all the treatments, they take the pills that often make them feel worse then they started out in hopes that it will give them just a few more precious moments with thier loved ones. They wear thier smiles as they walk in the door, but more often then not you see that smile slowly fade and you just hurt for them cause you know they cry to their pillow every night begging God to make them better. :(
I would wear a milllion bracelets on my wrists with Cancer patients initials on them, if that person felt just a touch better knowing that I cared enough to do such a simple deed.

ZSigErik
01-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Sad to say that volunteering at a cancer center isn't as easy as it sounds. It is not like if you were to become a candy striper at the hospital or volunteer at an old folks home. The emotional strain is like nothing I have ever seen before in my life. So many of the people at a Cancer center go there every week and have so much faith and hope that thier miracle will come, yet for many of them the miracle never comes.. They go through all the treatments, they take the pills that often make them feel worse then they started out in hopes that it will give them just a few more precious moments with thier loved ones. They wear thier smiles as they walk in the door, but more often then not you see that smile slowly fade and you just hurt for them cause you know they cry to their pillow every night begging God to make them better. :(
I would wear a milllion bracelets on my wrists with Cancer patients initials on them, if that person felt just a touch better knowing that I cared enough to do such a simple deed.

Exactly.

I have my liveStrong bracelet to not only support the charity, but to remind myself of how lucky my family has been at fighting cancer. Several of my family members have been diagnosed with it and we all fought it together and now they are healthy as can be. So what if its "trendy", all my friends have one as well. One of the best ideas Ive seen in awhile.

SCpoloRicker
01-26-2005, 11:59 AM

Thoughts on magnets (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164632)

Cameo: I'm not trying to downplay the hardship of cancer at all. You hit the nail on the head, its emotionally wracking to go and visit a clinic. I think its a lot like visiting an old folks home, but w/e. I'm just saying that if people wish to help, there are better ways than spending a buck on a bracelet or 5 on a magnet.

ojhspyro89
01-26-2005, 03:49 PM
the bad thing is that the kids who buy them dont think of what they are really doing. They are doing it for a trend not for cancer patients. I meen its thier stupidity which aids the processes of finding cures and such. I really just think that it is a good idea gone a little on the wrong side. I see the most in considerate people taking them from other people and wearing them just because its a trend. Makes me kind of angry actually having people not knowing what the bracelets are for.

Im glad Lance Armstrong is helping the large amount of cancer patients that are in the US but the people who buy the bands dont really know what they are for. They rather find them as a trend. I mean its money that will help but i just get frustrated to the fact in which they dont understand what they are contributing too.

Ive seen cancer, i see it everyday. Its not good but seriosly, i dont know where all this money is going towards i havnt seen a HUGE break through yet. There have been a couple things that have had success in rats, that seem exceptionally successfull. But one thing that i see in most these cancer things is that they kind of over look Brain Tumors. But i dont know, there are actually some very good well like medicines that slow down growth or stop the growth. Its not cheap tho our last few bills where 13 grand each......

wanna-b-ballin'
01-26-2005, 09:30 PM
are the olive green bracelets that say "support our troops" fakes? i got mine at 7-11. it said on the wrapper that $1 goes to the army.
the only other one i'v seen is one the one that my frieds has. is 7-11 just trying to make a quick buck?

rkjunior303
01-26-2005, 10:36 PM
are the olive green bracelets that say "support our troops" fakes? i got mine at 7-11. it said on the wrapper that $1 goes to the army.
the only other one i'v seen is one the one that my frieds has. is 7-11 just trying to make a quick buck?

the last time i checked, the army didn't take private donations... Unless it's for a cause of the army... ?

I wear a livestrong bracelet to honor my uncle John, who died of cancer a few years ago.. If it generates millions of dollars to research and possibly cure those such diseases -- then I'm all for it..

the only thing that bothers me are the people that wear them to be trendy with no real idea about the actual cause they signify..

magman007
01-26-2005, 10:43 PM
no the support our troops ones are not fakes

http://www.uso.org/pubs/8_29_10394.cfm

jekyll
01-26-2005, 10:44 PM
r

no, the least you can do is to tell people who support this kind of thing that they are doing nothing and then do absolutely nothing yourself. Yes there are better ways of donating, but anything is better than nothing.

bornl33t
01-27-2005, 05:30 AM
mine says W-W-L-A-D on it.... ;) :rolleyes: :D :tard:

SCpoloRicker
01-27-2005, 03:30 PM
no, the least you can do is to tell people who support this kind of thing that they are doing nothing and then do absolutely nothing yourself. Yes there are better ways of donating, but anything is better than nothing.

Yeah, or I could volunteer at VFW, donate books to soldiers oversees with a letter in them, and write my senator/congressmen to encourage troop support/benefits. :eek:

You're right, I should have bought the bracelet. That guy in China has Beemer payments to make.

jekyll
01-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Yeah, or I could volunteer at VFW, donate books to soldiers oversees with a letter in them, and write my senator/congressmen to encourage troop support/benefits. :eek:

You're right, I should have bought the bracelet. That guy in China has Beemer payments to make.

Yeah, despite the "all proceeds benefit the Lance Armstrong Foundation" bit. By the way, people in China who make them don't actually make much money. Your statement was based entirely on bias.

I'm not sure what your suggesting by the the whole volunteering thing, but I doubt that you actually do any of it considering your willingness to insult people for caring.

Cameo
01-28-2005, 03:49 AM
ok I work as a bartender and tonight a group of guys questioned me on my bracelt. They said "Arn't you a bit old to be wearing one of those, they are for high schoolers". Luckley a good friend of mine that knows my situation was sitting not to far from them. He put the guys in ther place by saying "Arn't you a bit to pig headed and uninformed to be making such comments to a hard working bartender that you don't even know, rather than reading playboy maybe you should read the news paper, I hear they write it so that a 4th grader can understand, that just might be about your level." :clap:
thank heavens for friends

~steph

Hasty8
01-28-2005, 09:39 AM
We all know it has become a trend, but honestly, is that a bad thing? I wish all charities that sell things became trends, the world would be a much better place. Maybe we should try and get the adopt-a-sniper bracelets to be a trend.

The problem with it becoming a "trend" is that it becomes so main stream that most will start to ignore it. Remember, most of us are used to the 5 second sound bite or the elevator pitch. If it does not give instant gratification then we most often want nothing to do with it.

Thinks of the AIDS ribbon. Used to be that seeing them meant something. Nowadays it's been relegated down to a fashion statement and a joke on Seinfeld.

Course, this is from my perspective.

SCpoloRicker
01-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah, despite the "all proceeds benefit the Lance Armstrong Foundation" bit. By the way, people in China who make them don't actually make much money. Your statement was based entirely on bias.

Profits through Livestrong are donated. Support our Troops, if through legitimate sources (rare) may donate some. Regardless, they are manufacured overseas, bought by retailers, and in the case of Support Our Troops are usually marked up to $5-7. Whom am I biased against? The Chinese guy who runs the factory?

I'm not sure what your suggesting by the the whole volunteering thing, but I doubt that you actually do any of it considering your willingness to insult people for caring.

Yes, I am suggesting volunteering. Yes, I volunteer. It would be far too easy to slide to "if you cared so much, why don't you fork over something other than a buck" but I won't.

Anything may be better than nothing, but patting yourself on the back for "the least you can do" is a bit pretentious, no? Thanks for the personal attack, by the way.

CANCER DOC & WIFE SITTING IN CAR

DOC: Boy, sure is nice out today.
WIFE: Yep.
WIFE: Say, what does that pink ribbon on that car say?
DOC: I don't know...
DOC: Wait... *squints* Cancer! That's it! I totally forgot I was supposed to be looking for a cure to Cancer! Well, back to work for me, sorry honey LOL!1