PDA

View Full Version : ? for Hyperframe users.

luke
01-25-2005, 09:39 AM
In next few days I'll be designing and cutting panels for the Hyperframe. Not sure how many to cut. If your interested in a pair please vote.

This is not a sales thread, I'm just trying to get a round number to start with.
I'll offer:
Matte (raw)
Polished (raw)
Black powder coated.

Dealer Thread.
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166571

Sk8ermog
01-25-2005, 12:25 PM
lol well I wanted mine to be one of a kind, but I did suggest you offer them to everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who don't like the plastic pannels and would love to see custom metal pannels with your inserts in them.

Carazy
01-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Are there any grips out there right now for the hyperframe?

luke
01-25-2005, 01:16 PM
but I did suggest you offer them to everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who don't like the plastic pannels and would love to see custom metal pannels with your inserts in them.

The inserts may be a problem, as far as using my current molds. The 45's don't really fit the frame very well. I can make more designed for the Hyperframe, but I'm not sure of the market.

People so for haven't taken to the insert idea, so, I'm not really inclined to do them. It totals 6 extra cuts and 6 "sets ups" to cut the opening, hours to make the molds, materials to mold them, money for (disposable) tools to inject the molds, and the time to inject them, then there is the de-mold time. :eek:

All and all, the time/effort/money it takes to do the molds and cut the openings is a HUGE loss, it's just not panning out. :(
The jury is still out on whether or not I'll continue making panels, we will see.

I had big plans for the machined panels, there's a LOT of other things I could do (and still might) w/ inserts and custom inlaid art work, but the future looks kinda grim at this time. Time will tell.

lol well I wanted mine to be one of a kind,

It is possible to do a production run and still do a unique set too. ;)

Sk8ermog
01-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Carazy: Right now I can't find anyone to make grips for the hyperframe other than Luke. I asked Frymaker, the guy doing carbon fiber frames in the dealers forum and now Luke. So either they are hard to make or just not profitable.

Luke: I agree that the inserts might be more of a hassel then a profit. I just really like mine on the 45 pannels, but on a hyperframe I think normal pannels would work better. Just do what you think would be the best looking, functional and cost effective for you. And feel free to be creative with my pair. ;) Oh and do you think that little window for the readout is going to cause some problems? I also had an idea that if you could drill a small hole right above the re-set button so I can push it if needed with a paper clip or small pick so I don't have to take off the grips. Let me know what you think of that.

steveg
01-25-2005, 02:58 PM
just out of curiosity Luke are you aware that the early hyperframe grip
panels were made out of machined, not molded plastic. just a bit of history.

luke
01-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Oh and do you think that little window for the readout is going to cause some problems?

To be honest I haven't had a chance to take them off and inspect them, hopefully I can get started on the design tomorrow evening. I'm finishing up some custom work tonight and tomorrow.

I also had an idea that if you could drill a small hole right above the reset button so I can push it if needed with a paper clip or small pick so I don't have to take off the grips. Let me know what you think of that.

I'll take a look at it. ;)

magman007
01-25-2005, 03:31 PM
if you make up a pair, and post them up, people will be much more interested in saying, il buy a pair etc etc

luke
01-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Hey Hey, what's up Steve, I've been meaning to pm you, to say thanks again for all your help! ;)

just out of curiosity Luke are you aware that the early hyperframe grip
panels were made out of machined, not molded plastic. just a bit of history.

No, I didn't. I never got a close look at a Hyperframe until this week. (Thanks to Sk8ter)

I do believe the frame sk8ter loaned me may be one of those. I did notice that the pattern on the panel looked like it had "swirl marks" made by an end mill.... :ninja:

luke
01-25-2005, 03:47 PM
if you make up a pair, and post them up, people will be much more interested in saying, il buy a pair etc etc

Well that's just the problem. I'm going to make them, I just don't know how many. Truth be told I haven't even designed them yet. ;)

luke
01-25-2005, 03:48 PM
The question was would you be interested, not would you buy... ;)

Big'n slo
01-25-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm always up for something one-off :D

Carazy
01-26-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm interested I would rather have a wrap around grip though.

luke
01-26-2005, 11:14 AM
As in machined aluminum wraps, or rubber wraps?

Carazy
01-26-2005, 12:11 PM
rubber, theres nothing for that already is there? Can I see some examples of metal grips, different guns or anything.

I really would just like something different for the hyperframe :-/

TheShark
01-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Well I'm definately interested. I like the idea of aluminum grip panels, I think black OR raw would both look very slick. And imagine ULE blue grip panels to match my body, wow that would be sweet. On the other hand, rubber wrap grips are very comfortable and I would love to have this option as well. Whichever you decide to do, it is great to see that someone is going to design an alternative to the stock grips, and I am very much interested. Keep us posted!

UltraMag527
01-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Metal would be cool!

luke
01-26-2005, 08:26 PM
They will for sure be aluminum. ;)

Smileatom88
01-27-2005, 04:32 AM
Did you say how much they were going to cost?

Sk8ermog
01-27-2005, 05:30 AM
he said they would run the same as his other grips which were under or around $20 which I think is too cheap since I was going to offer like $30 for mine. I think the more interest there is in these the lower the price. Luke already offers the lowerest prices on grip pannels and other custom work so I'm sure these will be at a more then fair price.

luke
01-27-2005, 03:27 PM
skaters right on. ;)

AnthonyDStone
01-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Show me somethin and I will think about it and I might have some wood panels coming in soon!!]

luke
01-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Show me somethin and I will think about it and I might have some wood panels coming in soon!!]

In next few days I'll be designing and cutting panels for the Hyperframe.

The production number will be based the number of people that are interested, and not much more. ;)

JoshK
01-28-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm interested. I just dont know when I will have money to buy them...depending on how much they are.

Edit: Would you be able to make different designs like frymaker? Because I have a design I would LOVE to put on my grips.

luke
01-28-2005, 02:35 PM
These will be milled aluminum panels, not cast.

Mr. Mouse
01-28-2005, 03:36 PM
I'd like to what im buying before i buy it :) sounds cool tho

luke
01-28-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm not really asking people to sign up, I'm really just trying to find out if there is INTEREST in customs panels.

I'm guessing maybe 1/3 of the people that say their interested MIGHT buy a pair. ;)

poonjar
01-29-2005, 10:26 PM
I definately want to buy some new grips no matter what they look like because nothing can possibly be worse than the center flag grips. I mean talk about ugly. Also i prefer wrap around grips just my opinion.

luke
01-29-2005, 11:53 PM
I started them today. I'm doing a small run, should have something to show in a few days. :)

Sorry, they won't be "wraps". They will be aluminum (ULE) panels with small rubber inserts above the top screws.

moed59
02-03-2005, 03:24 PM
put me down

Mr. Mouse
02-03-2005, 03:35 PM
:clap: i wanna see i wanna see!!! :clap:

JoshK
02-03-2005, 03:39 PM
So Luke, now that I am sure that I am keeping my hyperframe. I would buy some black ones after seeing what they look like, and how much they are gonna cost.

luke
02-03-2005, 07:34 PM
These are 97% done.

I have about 20 minutes left on the machining and I need to make the mold for the insert.

I will finish these per order. (polishing or powder coating and insert (color)

I should have pictures by this sat.

:cool:

I don't have prices yet, I only made 10 pairs and at least one is spoken for. :cool:

Sk8ermog
02-04-2005, 02:16 AM
oh is one of those 2 pairs for me? Can't wait. Once these are done then my mag will be fully Luked out.

luke
02-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Sk8ter, your first in line, you get as many pairs as you want. ;)

Just so everyone knows, this is Sk8ters project so he gets first dibs.

TheShark
02-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Is it possible to get them without insert cuts? Just flat panel?

luke
02-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Nope. Not this run, they are finished. (not sure if I'm going to do another run or not these are ALOT of work/machining) :(

Not sure why people are so leery about the insert. The rubber won't fall out or any thing. (?) I have had no complaints (only complements) from those that have seen them.

(????)

poonjar
02-05-2005, 02:13 AM
i definately want some so dont sell all of them too quick.

JoshK
02-05-2005, 11:23 AM
pictures? Its saturday :P

jamescell
02-05-2005, 02:18 PM
I might be interested, depends on the price :)

Mr. Mouse
02-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Nope. Not this run, they are finished. (not sure if I'm going to do another run or not these are ALOT of work/machining) :(

Not sure why people are so leery about the insert. The rubber won't fall out or any thing. (?) I have had no complaints (only complements) from those that have seen them.

(????)

its not that were leery its just we wanna see what they look like before we get them thats all :)

luke
02-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Update:

Here's where I’m at, the machining is done. I made 12 pair total, two pair I need to keep for reference if I decide to make more. This was a project for Sk8termaog, so he gets first dibs; he said he was interested in getting two pair, which leaves 8.

IF these sell :p I'll do another run, but I can't give these away like the Emag and 45's I'm selling. There is more than twice the amount of cuts in these than there is on the Emag panels so I can’t give them away. :rolleyes: (sorry :) )

I do have a price set, (that is fair) they won’t cost any more than any other after market grips. I will release the info in a day or two.

I still need to make a window (to make sure I can do it ;) ) and I need to inject my molds to make sure they are correct and powder coat a pair for picts. If I get everything done tomorrow I'll post the pictures. I wouldn’t expect them until about this time. :argh:

luke
02-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Ok, here you go. :p

It's on page 1.

Mr. Mouse
02-06-2005, 06:15 PM
aw im definitly in for a pair of those things, tell me when your takin orders :D

JoshK
02-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Ok...just need funds.

luke
02-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Dealer thread>
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166571

Sk8ermog
02-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Oh baby do those look nice. Can't wait to get mine. Thanks for all your hard work on these Luke.

poonjar
02-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I just got my grips today and they look even sweeter in person. thanks luke.

luke
02-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks. I'm glad you like them. :cool:

Sk8ermog
02-13-2005, 12:44 AM
I love mine! You can now say they have been tournament tested along with the RT rail. Both worked great with no problems. Worked so go I didn't need to use my back up Freestyle ;) Thanks again Luke.

http://www.pbase.com/rgunn4/image/39691162/large.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/rgunn4/image/39691163/large.jpg