PDA

View Full Version : 114ci co2 tank

BLachance75
01-25-2005, 10:09 AM
How many ounces of co2 can you put in a 114ci tank.

trains are bad
01-25-2005, 10:19 AM
A LOT.

Around 34 oz should be fine, I know a guy who runs 32 in a 68, fwiw.

Buff
01-25-2005, 12:36 PM
bwahahahaha, I gotta try that!

will an N2 tank take co2 w/o and mods?

Chronobreak
01-25-2005, 12:39 PM
bwahahahaha, I gotta try that!

will an N2 tank take co2 w/o and mods?

correct me if im wrong u can just use nitro tanks/some for co2 but ocne u do you gotta replace ther g if u go back to nitro.

or the reg has to be changed for co2.

only people that are no offence dumb enough or had a reason to do this were people who happened to have a spare tank w/out reg or oldschool shocker owners

trains are bad
01-25-2005, 12:45 PM
I use several fiber wrapped 68ci tanks with co2, which I run on my cocker, because

1. they are more comfortable to shoulder, and look better
2. they are more consistent because they are big.

I usually run around 20oz in mine, which puts it very underfilled by volume (low liquid level), but still enough Co2 to shoot all day on. Underfilled like this with an anti-siphon tank they are very constistent.

I do know people who have run CO2 in maxflows, reg and all, but this requires special filling equipment and is not worth it IMO.

I just remove the reg and install a regular CO2 pin valve and anti-siphon.

When my teammate gets his new shocker I'm going to set it up with a bottomline female palmer's stabilizer and a fiber wrapped CO2 tank. Then if he wants he can screw a HP screw in into it too.

teufelhunden
01-25-2005, 12:45 PM
I believe the old 3k manifold Maxxy's actually came with an anti-siphon line pre-installed and could go from CO2->HPA and back without a problem.

You can fill any HPA tank with CO2, but it will weaken the fiber that holds the tank together. Be careful refilling it with HPA.

trains are bad
01-25-2005, 12:47 PM
correct me if im wrong u can just use nitro tanks/some for co2 but ocne u do you gotta replace ther g if u go back to nitro.

I wouldn't run a HPA tank reg with CO2. Because like I said filling it is a hassle at any field and it might kill some regs. It can be done, I just think it's pointless.

trains are bad
01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
You can fill any HPA tank with CO2, but it will weaken the fiber that holds the tank together. Be careful refilling it with HPA.

No it won't.

Kaiser Bob
01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
CO2 in a 114ci would do quite nicely for scenario or rec where air fills are far away, given you dont live in a cold climate, have a good co2 reg and arent trying to use it on a ramping dm4 at 25bps or something. 40oz tanks are heavy as a mofo

teufelhunden
01-25-2005, 12:53 PM
No it won't.

You wanna bet? The fiber of the tank is made to expand when under the pressures exerted by putting a few thousand PSI into it. Then when you put liquid CO2 in.. they get really cold. Know what happens when something gets really cold? If not, run around outside naked in a snow storm, and you'll get the picture.

It gets worse if you alternate HPA and CO2 fills.

SSniper
01-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Know what happens when something gets really cold? If not, run around outside naked in a snow storm, and you'll get the picture..

:rofl: hahahahaha

trains are bad
01-25-2005, 01:04 PM
well if you provide actual evidence to support that theory, I might consider it.

teufelhunden
01-25-2005, 01:12 PM
How about known scientific fact that under pressure, especially extreme pressure, the vessel holding said pressure expands? And that everything [save water] contracts when frozen/chilled?

trains are bad
01-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I know that too, that's not up for debate.

What's up for debate is whether or not chilling a composite tank to the temperatures seen by a CO2 tank causes weakening or damage.

I have never read anything about cold temperatures causing damage to fiber tanks. The only manufacturer's warnings regarding temperatures say not to heat one over 120*c.

Find actual evidence that chilling a fiber tank causes damage, and I will consider it. But don't go around making statements about something as if it's fact, when it's actually just something you thought might happen.

Chronobreak
01-25-2005, 01:24 PM
hmm wasnt this info in toms recent psot of compressed air specs and commone misinformation?

there was a max temp to be exposed for the tanks

also i beleive there was soemthing about co2 being able to eat of the lienr inside from expanding/contracting

bofh
01-25-2005, 01:32 PM
How about known scientific fact that under pressure, especially extreme pressure, the vessel holding said pressure expands? And that everything [save water] contracts when frozen/chilled?

Actually, this is a myth that was dis-credited by the tinker's guild a while back.

Your theory requires the Alloy shell and the fiber casing to expand/contract at different rates, and that it impacts the safety of the tank. Not just that the Alloy contracts/expands.

There's actually no proof to back up that it is a danger, and none from the manufacturers.

trains are bad
From the Man himself, in the thread I belive chronobreak was talking about.

Q: CAN I FILL IT WITH CO2 IF NITROGEN IS NOT AVAILABLE?

A: Yes, but you will have to adjust your velocity down 30-40 fps.

teufelhunden
Actually, this is a myth that was dis-credited by the tinker's guild a while back.

Your theory requires the Alloy shell and the fiber casing to expand/contract at different rates, and that it impacts the safety of the tank. Not just that the Alloy contracts/expands.

There's actually no proof to back up that it is a danger, and none from the manufacturers.

Damnit.

bofh
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
But I'd imagine that tank manufacturers would love you buy new tanks if fill one once with CO2. :)

Sandman76
02-02-2005, 12:05 AM
First post yes, but this issue actually inspired me to register as a user here.

Expansion and contraction of dis-similar materials is a fact. The aluminum liner of a fiber tank will contract significantly more than the fibre shell surrounding it when frozen in order to fill with CO2. It may not imact the integrety of the tank the first time or even 20 times. But over time, with the aluminum casing inside the tank contracting more than the fiber shell, eventually the fiber shell and aluminum casing will seperate. Not on a major scale, but enuf to cause integrety issues IMO. The aluminum casing is to have an airtight seal for HPA, and the fiber wrap is to give that casing strength in order that the casing doesn't rupture. Personally I think you are playing with fire on this one. You are almost asking to cause integrety problems in your fiber wrapped tanks. Its a matter of temperature causing different contraction rates of the materials, not pressure causing swelling. Yes this is a theory and I have no real world scientific proof of this happening, but the theory sounds good enuf to me I don't want to risk a pressure vessel rupture.

And if you want to experiment, I'm sure there is a great safety factor in your 3k bottle that you may be able to boost the pressure well beyond 3k. Do you want to do it? For safety reasons no you do not. The bottle is made for 3k, 4k, 4.5k, 5k PSI etc made for AIR, use it as such, don't push the limits and don't put a different propellant in it than it was designed for, FOR SAFETY.

SM

trains are bad
02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
But over time, with the aluminum casing inside the tank contracting more than the fiber shell,

SAYS WHO?

GAWD!

/napolean dynamite

Ever think that perhaps the fiber is wrapped on the aluminum with enough tension and elasticity that even if the aluminum does shrink it's not a problem? We're talking a few thousanths of a inch here. Thermal contraction. Plus this is a tank designed to work at 3000+ and you are putting a CO2 pin valve and 1800psi burst disc in it.

I called luxfer and asked them and they said the bottles could be used for CO2 as long as the working pressure was not exceeded. They didn't even know what I was talking about when I spoke of cold temperatures. Let it go already.

mark_1791
02-02-2005, 01:13 AM
I do know people who have run CO2 in maxflows, reg and all, but this requires special filling equipment and is not worth it IMO.
That is so retarded! Why would you spend $300+ on a high quality NITRO tank and destroy it by putting CO2 in it? WHY???

Enemy
02-02-2005, 03:45 AM
hmm could have sworn tom said somthing about it being unwise but i think that was long ago when nitro tanks first hit the market!! shamless plug i have a 114 ci tank for sale hit me up with a pm if interested!!

bofh
02-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Yes this is a theory and I have no real world scientific proof of this happening, but the theory sounds good enuf to me I don't want to risk a pressure vessel rupture.

If it doesn't feel good to you, don't do it.

In fact, you know tha HPA and co2 are dangerous things, why not try that new electric only marker. :)

joez
02-02-2005, 11:16 AM
To answer the posters orriginal question, it holds between 57 and 59 ounces of CO2, that was as close as we could figure it.

If you get the tank cold enough, you can get it to take over 90 oz of liquid, but i highly recomend NOT doing that.