PDA

View Full Version : New Vehicle

Buff
01-26-2005, 12:47 AM
Alrighty, I few of you might remember my Windstar thats gonna die....so......

Someone I know is selling a '93 Ford Explorer with 165K miles. It runs fine, cd, ac, 4wd, etc

How reliable are these?
anybody know?

thanks
Buff

Lohman446
01-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Alrighty, I few of you might remember my Windstar thats gonna die....so......

Someone I know is selling a '93 Ford Explorer with 165K miles. It runs fine, cd, ac, 4wd, etc

How reliable are these?
anybody know?

thanks
Buff

There were transmission issues in the early Explorers - as well as 4WD vacuum motors and switches that could give you grief. As is the case with most 4WD / truck suspension systems look closely for ball joint and suspension issues that could end up being costly - I highly recommend you pay a shop of a pre purchase inspection to get an honest opinion. Radius arm bushings and brackets were common on these as well On the plus side the Ford 4.0 engine was about bullet proof aside from lifter tick (masked by the use of 20W50 oil). Assuming you are getting it as cheap as a 16 year old vehicle with a ton of miles on it should be ($1200 - $1500) it could be a good purchase assuming it is mechanically sound/

Buff
01-26-2005, 09:50 AM
any idea what kinda mileage it will get?
and, assuming its in good condition now, how long should the engine and other parts last if its not being driven buy a stopid teenager that wants to race any/everyone?

Lohman446
01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
any idea what kinda mileage it will get?
and, assuming its in good condition now, how long should the engine and other parts last if its not being driven buy a stopid teenager that wants to race any/everyone?

My '92 got about 12-14 overall MPG. Just understand my opinion here - if you are buying an SUV because you need one, great - if you are buying it because you want a car, buy a car. There are many issues with SUVs (suspension for example) that just are not as prevelant with cars. Cars (in general) get better mileage, and are safer within reason - regardless of the "SUVs" are safer argument about size. Please note I do not apply this to a Geo Metro or such, but most full size cars are pretty safe. My Explorer.. which was beat to hell - I abused it, my friends abused it, went about 250K before it got prohibitively expensive to fix, of course it took 4 transmissions to get there and several front end and suspension rebuilds from off road and hard on road use. I sold it a few years ago to my fried

mcveighr
01-26-2005, 02:53 PM
12-14???

My truck's much bigger than that and gets 16-18.

TURBO DIESEL WHAT?!?!?!?!

Lohman446
01-26-2005, 03:19 PM
My Explorer had two speeds, idle and full throttle.. the pedal was seldom in between there

Buff
01-26-2005, 06:08 PM
well said :D

Bear_Claw
01-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Well my fathers got a 2000 explorer on its last legs now with 212000kms but its a 4.0L OHC (oppose to the OHV the early explorers had). None the less the truck has proven to be reliable and we have never had mutch major probs with it. Fuel milage best was 22mpg ALL HIGHWAY but it averages about 18mpg.

My Truck on the other hand weighs TWICE what the explorer weighs and hasd an engine almost twice the size and manages similare milage 15-18mpg. AS mentioned befor Turbo Diesel hehehe.