PDA

View Full Version : A sign that world will be all out mech wars soon.

Igotu
01-26-2005, 05:35 PM
"Failure is not an option. I have no choice but to do this. If I don't do it, I will explode." omg lol

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/011705/sta_20050117006.shtml

wad04
01-26-2005, 05:52 PM
oh my god, we're all going to die.

Will Wood
01-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Nine Inch Nails .. heh "You let me penetrate you" .... with a nine inch nail. Yea anyways, ok movinng along.

Anyways I want one of those.

personman
01-26-2005, 06:07 PM
So let me get this straight. He's almost 30 years old and he still lives with his parents, and spends all their money on building a mech?

matt-o
01-26-2005, 06:15 PM
something similar was posted a few days back, but this one is funnier

thecavemankevin
01-26-2005, 06:23 PM
So let me get this straight. He's almost 30 years old and he still lives with his parents, and spends all their money on building a mech?

why, is there something wrong with that?

Igotu
01-26-2005, 06:26 PM
He had to do it or his head would explode!

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
01-26-2005, 06:27 PM
This thing could make him rich.

Or one of the biggest nerds to ever be.

AssassN
01-26-2005, 06:35 PM

There you go.

SpitFire1299
01-26-2005, 06:38 PM
He should make more and have them battle. :rolleyes:

WicKeD_WaYz
01-26-2005, 06:51 PM
thats what happens to those kids who cant get girlfriends in highschool and are really smart in effed up, wierd kind of way.

SpecialBlend2786
01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Nine Inch Nails .. heh "You let me penetrate you" .... with a nine inch nail. Yea anyways, ok movinng along.

Anyways I want one of those.

HAHAHAH :rofl:

RogueFactoryKid
01-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Who woulda thought the gundam nerd that took it to far would be black?

matt-o
01-26-2005, 07:43 PM
He's Black????
*edit* wow, your right!

Will Wood
01-26-2005, 07:51 PM
HAHAHAH :rofl:
I was waiting for someone to get that...

PyRo
01-26-2005, 08:23 PM
If it would work for only $20,000 then why the hell hasn't it been done before? I think he is in over his head with keeping the thing balanced while trying to do anything besides crawling slowly along.

gimp
01-26-2005, 08:27 PM
That rules! I want to build one. One of my housemates is supposed to do a project for his control systems class. He needs to make something that can move in the x-y-z directions. He's having trouble thinking of something to apply it to. He's thinking of making something where you can mount a gun and a camera on. You'd be able to move it with a joystick. His concentration is in image processing. He's a wiz at that stuff. So he wants to make it so that it automatically shoots squirrels when they run by. (we have a squirrel problem in our house.) That may be more of a challenge than he's willing to do, even with my help. I'll know within a week if we're gonna attempt it. Then all we'd have to do is build a giant mech to mount it on.

WicKeD_WaYz
01-26-2005, 08:35 PM
That rules! I want to build one. One of my housemates is supposed to do a project for his control systems class. He needs to make something that can move in the x-y-z directions. He's having trouble thinking of something to apply it to. He's thinking of making something where you can mount a gun and a camera on. You'd be able to move it with a joystick. His concentration is in image processing. He's a wiz at that stuff. So he wants to make it so that it automatically shoots squirrels when they run by. (we have a squirrel problem in our house.) That may be more of a challenge than he's willing to do, even with my help. I'll know within a week if we're gonna attempt it. Then all we'd have to do is build a giant mech to mount it on.

wait wait slow down. Theres squirells IN your house? And you havnt killed them already?

damn I get the gun out when I see a mouse.

WenULiVeUdiE
01-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Oh noes! He stole it from Doc!

Hehe, it actually lookes pretty cool. Anything with flame throwers and nail guns must be.

B.A.M.
01-26-2005, 08:46 PM
This thing could make him rich.

Just think of the gov contracts if it works.

matt-o
01-26-2005, 09:19 PM
its so un practical though. who cares how big the thing is if a helicopter can drill it with a rocket from a mile away? one hit to a leg or arm would throw it out of balance. for civilian purposes maybe but civilians dont need flamethrowers

magman007
01-26-2005, 09:25 PM
you know, if armor plated enough, im sure it could probabally withstand a stinger missle attack, it might get knocked down, but hey oh well. if it functions as well as it is said to, it could priobablly get back up.

what really needs to be done, is a system of gyros, to keep it balanced, ala segway sorta

WicKeD_WaYz
01-26-2005, 09:26 PM
its so un practical though. who cares how big the thing is if a helicopter can drill it with a rocket from a mile away? one hit to a leg or arm would throw it out of balance. for civilian purposes maybe but civilians dont need flamethrowers

Ya I agree I dont see what makes this any different from say, a tank? Maybe it looks cooler, and maybe the driver will feel like hes in star wars, but it doesnt seem worth all the effort.

RogueFactoryKid
01-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Ya I agree I dont see what makes this any different from say, a tank? Maybe it looks cooler, and maybe the driver will feel like hes in star wars, but it doesnt seem worth all the effort.

Yeah but if it doesnt work out as a weapon you could always walk down the street in it and pick up chicks.

PyRo
01-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Whats the point of a tank if a helicopter can drill it with a rocket a mile away?
I see little benifit to somthing like this over a tank, for military purposes it is almost useless.

j.storm
01-26-2005, 09:40 PM
whoa...my home town. who woulda thunk it.

WicKeD_WaYz
01-26-2005, 09:43 PM
they should make a couple of those that just walk around on the white house lawn. Mostly for show but that would probably scare the :cuss: out of most terrorists.

matt-o
01-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Whats the point of a tank if a helicopter can drill it with a rocket a mile away?
I see little benifit to somthing like this over a tank, for military purposes it is almost useless.
i could also ask what the point of a helicopter is when a jet can shoot it down without even being noticed. the role this would fill is already filled by a combo of tanks and helicopters. these would just be expensive and inefficient, not to mention slow.
im saying i agree... that was slightly incoherent though

OysterBoy
01-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Forget about whether the mecha would survive; how about the human inside? Your pretty much begging a beat-down by "riding" in one of those.

matt-o
01-26-2005, 11:28 PM
yeah that thing does look pretty well built though..... :p

PyRo
01-27-2005, 07:33 AM
i could also ask what the point of a helicopter is when a jet can shoot it down without even being noticed. the role this would fill is already filled by a combo of tanks and helicopters. these would just be expensive and inefficient, not to mention slow.
im saying i agree... that was slightly incoherent though
Expensive? How many millions does a tank or helicopter go for? This is $20,000. I bet their is nothing in the Geneva convention about using huge nails for ammo :)

matt-o
01-27-2005, 04:39 PM
that thing VS. an M-1 abrams the abrams wins due to firing range and movement speed, along with the fact that nails and flamethrowers wont do crap to a tank, in fact pit it 5 of them vs 1 abrams the abrams will still win. in fact, ill say same results with a WW2 era tank

Will Wood
01-27-2005, 05:08 PM
You also don't use a shotgun to pick up enemies at long range.
Each weapon has it's own use; you wouldn't use this vs a tank...

billybob_81067
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
nails would go through a bulletproof vest though.... :)

Trick
01-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Were this to be a fighting suit, it's role would be infantry support. It could be used to breach fortified positions with little danger.

Personally, what I want to see is the Berkeley lifting suit augmented with armor plating so we can roll out modern-day Space Marines ala Warhammer 40k. :ninja:

matt-o
01-27-2005, 05:35 PM
so is he gonna sit in the thing like in mobile suit gundam or stand in it like in aliens?
and trick i dont think there are any fortified positions anymore, if they are they are guarded by tanks and other mobile armored forces whick would turn this into mince meat, instead of fixed guns. they went out with the maginot line.

Trick
01-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Tanks and such also turn soldiers into mince meat. This would add some survivability to them.

Granted, the suit in this state will never see military service. It either A: needs to be reduced down in size with no mobility hindrances for individual soldiers or B: made bigger, with much more powerful weapons ala Mechwarrior.

PyRo
01-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Were this to be a fighting suit, it's role would be infantry support. It could be used to breach fortified positions with little danger.

Hey look, a 15ft tall robot, lets not shoot a rocket at it and knock it over.

Repoman-gene
01-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Lets get these two morons together and have them battle! doesn't matter who losses..we ALL win.

http://www.new.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews5/projectgrizzly/2.JPG

http://www.umanitoba.ca/outreach/cm/vol4/no20/posing.jpg

looks like Troy has a new suit

http://adam.kawvalley.net/img/bearsuit.jpg

FromTheBack
01-27-2005, 10:22 PM
well, what about urban situations where the enemy is under armored like many situations with guerilla warfare? If they were produced in a government project Im sure they could be made smaller and sturdier, plus better armored and probably faster moving with a better balancing system. If there were a few of these together covering the others backs (which would probably be vunerable because of lack of being able to turn fast in tight quarters or otherwise) with more mobility then it would seem workable?Would be nice to have eyes in the back of your head, and with this you would. Possibly even a weapons tracking system with the video uplink/motion detector along with many other ideas out there. I know ultimately you cannot be as maneuverable as a human being in lighter armor but it could make progress to be something useful.

And also just to throw an idea out about the grander scale mechwarrior idea, I would think those would be really easy to trip up like the walkers in star wars or even a real world example of just beating on one of its legs with heavy enough weapons...Although mechs of that scale would be badass :D

ScatterPlot
01-27-2005, 10:28 PM
One thing I noticed...

Standing in his parents' back yard...
Not that that's necessarily a BAD thing, but, well...

And 18 HP? What's that gonna do? That's like a lawnmower- this thing is gonna break cars?

And how is he balancing? I don't care how heavy the bottom half is, you're gonna fall when you lift one of your legs, unless you have a gigundimous (yes that's gigundimous) gyro. And to keep from falling, you would want a HIGHER center of gravity. Like try balancing a yardstick on your hand with a big ball of clay or something on top, then try it with the clay on the bottom. Way harder on the bottom. A low center of gravity might work for cars, but for something with legs you'd want a higher one so you'd have more time to catch yourself if you started to tilt over. And without a severe amount of feedback doohickies you're gonna have a real hard time with the whole I-move-my-arm-it-moves-it's-arm thing.