PDA

View Full Version : Any Excel gods in there?

Hasty8
01-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Got a quick question.

Let me preface by saying this - I stink at Excel so any offering of help, please dumb it down to kindergarten level.

Thanks.

So I have a list of two digit numbers that represent the numbers of the alphabet.
A=21
B=22
C=23
D=31
etc

These numbers are used to enter a callers name in the dial by last name function on the corporate phone system. I have to create a list with all the employees names converted into their numerical counterparts.

We have over 5000 employees.

What I would love is to be able to enter a single letter into a cell and have the equivalent number pop up under it. That way I can enter a name in a row, one letter per cell and have the numerical equivalents showup underneath.

Is there any way to do that in either Excel or Access?

Again, I'm a moron so please dumb it down.

Thanks!

I can email a spreadsheet with the numbers and a few names if you need. Just PM me for that.

ShooterJM
01-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah. In Excel you can use the =VLookup() Function to do that. If you want to shoot me a small list I'll show you how. Or give me a few minutes and I'll whip up an example. PM me for my email.

Hasty8
01-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Shooter is now my official hero!

Three cheers for ShooterJM

Hip! Hip! Hooray!
Hip! Hip! Hooray!
Hip! Hip! Hooray!

Really, thanks man. Cuts my workload by about 80%!

ShooterJM
01-28-2005, 09:47 AM
No worries, glad I could help! Excel and Crystal Reports are pretty much all I do at work. Teaching people how to use them and designing stuff in them.

EDIT: Although......by the vicious forces of karma you now are bound to tell me if your company is ever looking for a database reporting consultant or excel consultant....muahahahahahhaha :D