PDA

View Full Version : How do I add oil to my jack?

ScatterPlot
01-28-2005, 06:54 PM
I had this jack that I was wanting to use for, well, jacking stuff and I realized it was broken. It turned out that the little cylinder was all rusted up, so after using the biggest wrench I had, my vise, a hammer, some scrap pieces, and the most of the world's supply of WD-40 I got the little pin out, but there was a large amount of oil that had slowly leaked out or something (it's an old jack). So I started putting more in little by little through the hole the small cylinder was in, and pulling up on the big one, and that worked fine, until right at the end I pulled too hard and got some air in there, and I don't know how to put more in. The instructions on the side say to stand the jack upright, and fill oil through the oil-fill hole or something. The problem is that I don't know what that hole looks like, cause it's not labeled.
Here's a pic-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bertmcmahan/54734908293.jpg
Hole 1 is the main hole that the big cylinder comes out of, and I have a wrench that will fit it but for the life of me I can't get it off.
Hole 2 is the one I was using, it was the small cylinder hole.
Hole 3 is the up/down valve thing.

There is also a teeny little phillips head screw (or bolt or whatever) in the side somewhere that I didn't get in the pic, but it's really teeny and I don't know what it's for. It's on the base part.

That cylinder was all the way down and locked when I left the room, and like 5 mins later the air in it pushed it up all the way to where it is now, so there's a good bit in there. So where do I put the oil?

thecavemankevin
01-28-2005, 07:02 PM
well, i have a jack like that, but since i have had a good reliable car for about 3 years now (use to drive a 73 bug) i haven't had to use it for quite sometime. However, if i remember correctly there should be a rubber plug (likely painted the same color as the jack) somewhere on the main body. Pull that plug out and insert oil there.

however, i do not take responsibility if you jack your car up and it falls on you ;)

ScatterPlot
01-28-2005, 07:08 PM
I was actually trying to make a ghetto lift thingy. I have to lift my lathe and thought it would be cool to make something similar to an engine lift, and this jack was the only one I had.

thecavemankevin
01-28-2005, 07:10 PM
well i bought mine that looks exactly like yours from walmart 4 years ago for 12 bux, so they are very cheap.

ScatterPlot
01-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Really? I was thinking they were something like 30 or so.

teufelhunden
01-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Nah, they're cheap. My bud and I just bought for like $44 two 2-ton jackstands, 2 wheel chocks, and a floor jack.. except the other kind.. um, it looks kinda like this:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/1000fc.jpg

which I believe is rated at 6 tons.

ScatterPlot
01-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Coolness. So where is this plug you speak of? Rubber you say? I'll check.

red robot
01-28-2005, 07:48 PM
"oil" "jack"

heh. heh heh. heh. hee. :tard:

PyRo
01-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Nah, they're cheap. My bud and I just bought for like $44 two 2-ton jackstands, 2 wheel chocks, and a floor jack.. except the other kind.. um, it looks kinda like this:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/1000fc.jpg

which I believe is rated at 6 tons.
Those $40 kits are usually junk, you don't turn the handle to let it down, you have to turn the release which is a bit of a PITA and can be dangerous if you have the jack pretty far under the car. I got a nice big 2 ton floor jack for $40 at autozone.
I doubt your friends looks like that, I wanted ones like that (long body) and they go for about $400.

And as for your bottle jack, it should have a rubber plug in the side, possibly a bolt.

dj89
01-28-2005, 10:20 PM
I had this jack that I was wanting to use for, well, jacking stuff and I realized it was broken. It turned out that the little cylinder was all rusted up, so after using the biggest wrench I had, my vise, a hammer, some scrap pieces, and the most of the world's supply of WD-40 I got the little pin out, but there was a large amount of oil that had slowly leaked out or something (it's an old jack). So I started putting more in little by little through the hole the small cylinder was in, and pulling up on the big one, and that worked fine, until right at the end I pulled too hard and got some air in there, and I don't know how to put more in. The instructions on the side say to stand the jack upright, and fill oil through the oil-fill hole or something. The problem is that I don't know what that hole looks like, cause it's not labeled.
Here's a pic-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bertmcmahan/54734908293.jpg
Hole 1 is the main hole that the big cylinder comes out of, and I have a wrench that will fit it but for the life of me I can't get it off.
Hole 2 is the one I was using, it was the small cylinder hole.
Hole 3 is the up/down valve thing.

There is also a teeny little phillips head screw (or bolt or whatever) in the side somewhere that I didn't get in the pic, but it's really teeny and I don't know what it's for. It's on the base part.

That cylinder was all the way down and locked when I left the room, and like 5 mins later the air in it pushed it up all the way to where it is now, so there's a good bit in there. So where do I put the oil?

I use a jack use like that is your good for 5 tons?

teufelhunden
01-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Those $40 kits are usually junk, you don't turn the handle to let it down, you have to turn the release which is a bit of a PITA and can be dangerous if you have the jack pretty far under the car. I got a nice big 2 ton floor jack for $40 at autozone.
I doubt your friends looks like that, I wanted ones like that (long body) and they go for about $400.

And as for your bottle jack, it should have a rubber plug in the side, possibly a bolt.

It is junk, yeah, pretty much. We knew that buying it. For the amount of times we were going to use it, it wasn't worth it to buy anything more. It does what we need; lifts and holds a car, ya know? Jack stands are jack stands; they're all held to the same safety standards.

And yeah, I got that image off a page that wanted like $550 for that jack ;) I was just trying to show that it was that type of jack as opposed to a bottle jack.

ScatterPlot
01-29-2005, 04:22 PM
I think mine goes to 4 tons.