PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars

gimp
01-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Since my surgery, I havn't been able to do much. I couldn't even watch funny tv shows for a long time because if I laughed I'd be in tons of pain. I'm a lot better now, but I can't still can't do anything physical, it hurts to sit on the couch for a long time, so I go to bed at about 8:30 most nights and read till I fall asleep. I never really was into reading before. I think the last books I was into were the Hardy Boys. About a week after the surgery I was finally able to concentrate enough to read a book (those pain killers mess you up). I'm a huge star wars fan so my Mother bought me a star wars book. Now on to the point of my post (I should be doing my hw but it's to hard and I'm just wasting time).

Now I'm addicted to Star Wars books, and I'm wondering which ones I should read next. I've already read the Thrawn Trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn (2 book series), Shadows of the Empire, and I'm almost done the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. When I was in 7th grade (a long time ago), I read the Jedi Academy Trilogy. I was thinking of reading that again because I don't really remember much of it.

So, is anyone else into Star Wars novels? Any recommendatiions on what I should read next. I'm thinking of starting the New Jedi Order series but I don't know. I kind of like the stuff that takes place around the movies. Like the bounty hunter wars. I was thinking about the Rouge Squadran series, but that seems like it might be boring. I really liked the Thrawn Trilogy. It had a good mix of stuff. It wasn't all about Jedi stuff. It had a little bit of everything.

Hopefully someone will have some advice. Thanks!

RevBrown
01-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Truce at Bakuura was pretty good.
Don't know if its bounty hunters war or not but the trilogy were Boba Fett pulls himself out of the Sarlaac pit is great.
Been a long time since I read them but I've read a few.

But anything with Boba Fett is always cool.

gimp
01-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, that's the bounty hunter wars trilogy. I'm just starting the second book and it's starting to get pretty good. Unfortunatly I don't think there are many books with Boba Fett in them. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will enlighten me.

Can_Opener
01-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Yea...the only book I remember with Boba Fett in it was from the bounty hunter's series. Truce at Bakura was a good one, The Mandalorian Armor is still the best though. The Corellian Trilogy was pretty sweet too.

MrWallen
01-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Truce at Bakura is good, chronologically it takes place right after the movies.

I've read all of the Young Jedi Knights series, not great writing, but good stories.

The new series (forget the name) is kinda whack, changes way too much of the SW universe IMO, but the writing is good, and it's a new direction for the story.

Python14
01-31-2005, 08:20 PM
One-Hundred and ten percent badass!

gimp
01-31-2005, 08:32 PM
The new series (forget the name) is kinda whack, changes way too much of the SW universe IMO, but the writing is good, and it's a new direction for the story.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I also heard they kill off Chewy in that series. :(

Thordic
01-31-2005, 08:41 PM
The X-Wing series is a good start, and The Courtship of Princess Leia (it may be part of the X-Wing books, not sure).

And yes, the New Jedi Order books have lots of changes, but they are set WELL into the future past the movies, and things happen. They are still good books. And RA Salvatore is a good Sci-fi / Fantasy author.

vf-xx
01-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Nooooooooo!! Stay away from the New Jedi Order!!! It's evil!

Reccomendations: Anything by Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole, and Kevin J. Anderson (His stuff is pulp, but early cannon and amusing even if it seems a bit contrived).

I really enjoyed the Rouge Squadron and Wraith Squadron series. Both of them revolve around background characters, but IMO that makes them cooler.

Other books I liked: Rogue Planet (a prequel book), Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Shadows of the Empire.

http://books.echostation.com/
^^ A list of all the SW books in storyline timeline order. The X-Wing books I speak of start after the movies and with the first book: X-Wing: Rogue Squadron

RogueFactoryKid
01-31-2005, 09:59 PM
nerds!!!!! ;)

gimp
01-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Cool. I've looked for a timeline of the novels before, but I never could find one.

Steelrat
01-31-2005, 10:37 PM
After reading the first Thrawn series, I couldn't take it any more. I can't stand book series that make the "bad guys" so stupid and hapless, with failures every time they try a major operation.

RevBrown
02-01-2005, 12:15 AM
nerds!!!!! ;)

You have no idea what caliber of nerd I can be :headbang:

Will Wood
02-01-2005, 12:23 AM
I loved the New Jedi order. Yea, chewie dies, oh well. But I mean it was good stuff.
I only read like three of them though. I would really recomend these books. The first one is really good.. pick up that one at least.

SCpoloRicker
02-01-2005, 12:38 AM
William Gibson.

/jus sayin'
//going away, with just two books from X-Wing series

MrWallen
02-01-2005, 01:28 AM
New Jedi Order doesn't take place that far into the future, it happens immediately at the end of the Young Jedi Knights series...which I guess is kinda far into the future from the movies. (20 years maybe? anyone know?)

Automaggot68
02-01-2005, 01:45 AM
The Rogue Squadron series was really good.
I have to agree with the abov as well, The Bounty Hunter trilogy was good, as was Truce at Bakuura

vf-xx
02-01-2005, 03:34 AM
William Gibson.

Yeah. His later stuff gets 'interesting' quite a bit to follow.

Along those lines "Snow Crash" is also a good book.

breg
02-01-2005, 05:54 AM
There is a third book in the Spectere of the Past/Vision of the Future called Survivor's Quest. Honestly, I like the Han Solo trilogy, though I cannot remember what the name of it is. Honetsly, though: I always thought that the Star Wars books written by Timothy Zahn were the best.

By the way:
I'm a proud Star Wars Nerd. Hell, I even have this freaking 18" tall Lego Yoda that my Mom got me for christmas a couple of years ago.

"Nuttin' wrong with being a geek..." :dance:

chairman_mao
02-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I agree 100% with the reccomendation of th eRouge Series I loved it. As well any of the Zahn books kept me interested. The Courtship of Princess Leia was an awesome book I read it in a weekend. You've gotten a a pretty good compilation here the only ones I'd stay away from are the New Jedi Order ones but that's because they killed Chewie (he's my favortie)

PissedGodzilla
02-01-2005, 09:47 AM
New Jedi Order Owns All

The writing and direction of this portion of the series is only bested by the x-wing novels.

Top notch Scifi work

Welcome to the realm of star wars books. if you have any questions, I have read all of them, please feel free to ask.

rkjunior303
02-01-2005, 10:01 AM
read the original Heir to the Empire books, by timothy Zahn. I thought they were the best.

Jeffy-CanCon
02-01-2005, 11:01 AM
"Heir to the Empire" was good, as were "Tales from Jabba's Palace" and "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina". They expand quite a bit on some minor characters, with interesting storylines.

gimp
02-01-2005, 11:38 AM
"Heir to the Empire" was good, as were "Tales from Jabba's Palace" and "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina". They expand quite a bit on some minor characters, with interesting storylines.

Yeah, I was thinking about Tales from Jabba's Palace, and Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. I like to know who all those wierd aliens are in the background from the movies. I read Heir to the Empire in the thrawn trilogy, and I agree, that book was really good.

When I start a series, I'd want to finish it before I read another book, so if I start to read the new jedi order, or the rouge series, I'd be busy for a while. I don't know if I'm ready for that kind of commitment. hehehe

vf-xx
02-01-2005, 02:52 PM
When I start a series, I'd want to finish it before I read another book, so if I start to read the new jedi order, or the rouge series, I'd be busy for a while. I don't know if I'm ready for that kind of commitment. hehehe

Go for the Rouge series. It switches about halfway through to the Wraith series and that's a good breaking point if you want/need a break.

For those of you who've read the Rogue/Wraith books: "Yub, yub!" :D