PDA

View Full Version : Shooting-Paintball connection?

germanman
02-01-2005, 10:50 PM
I've been shooting rifles/pistols since i was 4. I started playing paintball when I was 12. I'm 16 now by the way. Are there any other people out there who are shooters, and do you think that helped/hurt/made no differece when it came to paintball. Strange question, but I am kinda curious. :confused:

Target Practice
02-01-2005, 10:51 PM
For me, the two are COMPLETELY different. I don't think there is any thing (except for the safety issue), that I have taken from my experiences, or vice versa.

teufelhunden
02-01-2005, 10:53 PM
I use my paintball experience all the time when I'm shooting.

Hell, just the other day I bunkered a guy at the range because he got off my lane and the other back didn't pick it up.

Target Practice
02-01-2005, 10:54 PM
I use my paintball experience all the time when I'm shooting.

Hell, just the other day I bunkered a guy at the range because he got off my lane and the other back didn't pick it up.

Oh teufelhunden, will your crazy antics ever cease?

No, no they will not.

xmetal2001
02-01-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm on my high-school's rifle team, and I used to play paintball a ton(don't have much free time anymore). Connection? I don't think so.

Everyone always assumes that since I shoot on a rifle team I am a great paintball player and I always have to explain that they are ever so different.

Precision Rifle: Practically teach yourself to meditate(lower heartbeat, relax, etc) while standing upright shooting at paper targets.

Paintball: Get the adrenaline pumping, sprint down the middle of the field, and suprise the hell out of the other team.

Spending 5 minutes setting up the perfect rifle shot and a quartersecond snapshot are just a wee bit different :)

germanman
02-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Heh, thnx. Btw i was on the rifle team at Van Nuys high School. thnx for the responses, just curious.

White_Noise
02-02-2005, 02:08 AM
only thing that i noticed that ive carried between the 2 is that i carried my high regard for safety from shooting to paintball and now i cant shoot any rifle/shotgun with my arm sticking out, and have to have my elbow down like how i play paintball.

Enemy
02-02-2005, 03:24 AM
i carried over a little instinct on where everything was going in connection with where the barrel is other than that theres not much!!

Conversekidz
02-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Real Guns + Paintball guns = No connection for me, its a completely different shooting style.

Paintball guns + Arcade games like Time Crisis = Similar playing style/ fanning of trigger.

Honestly the best way to practice a quick trigger finger is go to the arcade and play a shooting game.

SAW
02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
I feel that my "Speed-shooting" competitions have improved my Paintball snapshots. It's all about muscle memory.
Other than that, barely any connection.

RRfireblade
02-02-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm a certified gun smith for over 10 years. Shot a number of different shooting sports both Rifle and Handgun and have taught both a variety of safety and concealed weapons classes.

For me, neither has really had any impact on the other at all.Other than basic safety and handling of any thing considered a 'weapon' I find very little in common practice between the 2.

What I do find funny is the huge 'perception' differences between those that only participate in one ESPECIALLY concerning the sport that that person doesn't have any experience in.

brightman
02-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, ill go a little against the grain here and say that there are a few connections. I shoot rifles and pistols on a regular basis and I think that shooting real guns, especially pistols, has somewhat improved my paintball game. Yes there are many differences, but I have found that trigger control has helped my accuracy in paintball. I know that paintball markers are only so accurate but the average player's lack of technique while shooting makes them even less so, but it is easier to blame innacuracy on the marker. If you think about it, when playing paintball your goal is to aim a marker, pull a trigger and put a ball on the guy at the other end of the field. When you shoot a real gun, particularly pistols, trigger control is THE biggest part of accuracy. If you ever have shot pistols, especially while trying to shoot fast or snap shoot with poor trigger control then you will see that it is easy to miss a full size target at 7-10 yards.
With that said, trigger control becomes less of an issue with electric triggers, ramping boards etc...
my two cents

Conversekidz
02-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Paintball has taught me one thing about shooting.

On a real gun if you point at your target and hit the trigger as fast as you can, you might hit your target. :shooting:

trains are bad
02-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Do both.

have to watch paintball doesn't make you unsafe with guns. Especially regarding keeping finger off trigger until ready to fire. That's all. The two are (obviously) entirely different.

I think that my youthful years with a slingshot and recurve bow did more for my instinctive shooting abilities.

I also have a problem with trying to point my marker in a safe direction in the pits and have this odd fear of dryfiring inside. My friends make fun of me for turning away or going to a window to dryfire. They don't understand.