PDA

View Full Version : helium tank, will it work?

master_alexander
02-02-2005, 01:02 AM
i was just wondering what would happen if you put helium in your tank and used it on your marker, i am not educated in that area. i think it would make the gun float, like a balloon, but i don't think it would work... .. but i don't know why.

(annyone have any thoughts on this? or facts)

>))))*> fishy ! :rofl:

mark_1791
02-02-2005, 01:06 AM
not sure if it would run the gun, but I guarantee it wont make the gun float. Balloons float because they weigh less than air: since the rubber part only weighs a couple grams, the positive weight is cancelled out by the negative weight of the helium.

So the gun definitly wouldn't float because it has WAAAAY to much extra weight, so it would need LOTS of helium, with little/no extra weight

Kallahan
02-02-2005, 01:11 AM
depends on what pressure helium turns into a liquid at, otherwise helium is an inert gas so there would be little harm to the marker, unless the helium isn't pure. I'm pretty sure it'd be a pain in the arse to get compressed helium at 4500 psi.

White_Noise
02-02-2005, 01:12 AM
helium wont work, the helium atoms are too small and light, and therefore cannot be used in the same way that the larger, heavier molecules of O2/N2 in compressed air or just N2 in compressed nitrogen.

master_alexander
02-02-2005, 01:17 AM
is there any other gas besides nitrogen or CO2? :confused:

mark_1791
02-02-2005, 01:22 AM
compressed air

but then again, breathing air is 80% nitrogen anyway...

White_Noise
02-02-2005, 01:45 AM
i know that propane(bad idea), argon and helium have been tested before. helium had the problems listed above. argon is too heavy.

Glickman
02-02-2005, 02:42 AM
i was just wondering what would happen if you put helium in your tank and used it on your marker, i am not educated in that area. i think it would make the gun float, like a balloon, but i don't think it would work... .. but i don't know why.

(annyone have any thoughts on this? or facts)

>))))*> fishy ! :rofl:

from my chem teacher:

helium will not require different o rings (negligable size difference), will make the tank lighter, and more clean running.

the only problem is that it has to be pure helium (i forgot to ask my teacher why specifically)

magman007
02-02-2005, 03:53 AM
helium is to light, it isnt a dense enough gas to power the marker. all of these things have been thought of before. the weight difference would be negligable as well. think of gian helium tanks for industrial use, still quite heavy by all means.

also, helium would be harder to compress, and require higher PSI to get the same amount of shots out of a marker.

not really a feasable option

ProX9
02-02-2005, 05:01 AM
Why would helium be harder to compress? In terms of work, the weight of the gas shouldnt matter since its -P▲V=w but KE=1/2MV^2, you might be able to treat shooting a paintball like a piston expanding against a constant pressure in a cylinder, which would apply to the first formula, otherwise mass does play an important part, but remember a lower mass means a higher velocity and velocity has more effect than mass in terms of energy. I would also be worried about what pressure helium becomes a liquid at seeing as how that would be bad, running liquid helium through your gun. Ill ask my chem teacher tomorrow about whether the mass plays an important part.

wageslave
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Pressurizing helium doesn't turn it into a liquid, cooling it turns it into a liquid. Keeping it under pressure just keeps it in liquid form. Besides, liquid helium makes liquid nitrogen look warm and bubbly in comparison, since its boiling boint is only 5 degress (C) above absolute zero, or -268C.

John Sosta, AGD Europe
02-02-2005, 09:03 AM
White_Noise
is exactly right about helium we have tested it nad it make a loud crack but the ball almost drops out the end of the barrel .
the only other gas that works good is argon its inert and not a greenhouse gas its molecular weight is almost the same as CO2 and does not go liquid unless the presure is mega high , only drawback to it is very it expensive compared to co2

White_Noise
02-02-2005, 09:10 AM
White_Noise
is exactly right about helium we have tested it nad it make a loud crack but the ball almost drops out the end of the barrel .
the only other gas that works good is argon its inert and not a greenhouse gas its molecular weight is almost the same as CO2 and does not go liquid unless the presure is mega high , only drawback to it is very it expensive compared to co2

i knew i had seen those 2 gases tested somewhere, couldnt remember exactly where. i suppose if it wasnt so expenive, we'd be using argon then seeing as its inert.