PDA

View Full Version : Minors: Taxes & Returns

Glickman
02-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Well, this is the first full year ive worked (was on and off others) and im trying to answer a few questions me and my friend have been debating.

1- Can working minors still be dependants?
2- if so: Do minors have to pay a overall income tax if dependant
3- Are minors eligiable for tax returns? (since the workplace does it for them)

any answers would be great (im still looking up on the irs site)

Kevmaster
02-02-2005, 02:07 AM
1) yes. your parents can still claim you as dependents. however that means you must file as a single and pay the full tax rate

2) I think i answered it above

3) yes. if you were overtaxed in payroll taxes, you will get money back

Glickman
02-02-2005, 02:16 AM
1) yes. your parents can still claim you as dependents. however that means you must file as a single and pay the full tax rate

2) I think i answered it above

3) yes. if you were overtaxed in payroll taxes, you will get money back

wow, thanks for the speedy answers!

i wasnt really planning as filing as a widowed woman.....

again... :D

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
02-02-2005, 08:14 AM
I made about $2500 this year and will be getting around 300 back.

Dubstar112
02-03-2005, 01:28 AM
I got raped hardcore this year. I had over 700 in taxes taken out. and I still owe 60 dollars. My mom claimed me this year, or did somthing with EIC which made me still a dependent. Im so mad at her, I dont talk to her.

Dont get screwed!

gibby
02-03-2005, 05:16 PM
I got raped hardcore this year. I had over 700 in taxes taken out. and I still owe 60 dollars. My mom claimed me this year, or did somthing with EIC which made me still a dependent. Im so mad at her, I dont talk to her.

Dont get screwed!
LOL!! Uuuhh...far from being raped but I can understand if you're a minor working the part time jobs. When you start working full time at a real job, you'll understand the true meaning of "rape."

I got taxed about $20k this year alone. But that's life. I'm sure there are others who've been taxed more than me.

Edit: It's also sad to see you not talking to your mom over $60. I'm sure she claimed you because she had more at stake than you paying $60.

BeaverEater
02-03-2005, 10:28 PM
man 20k in taxes, must have a good job. Ive paid 650, but I also only made like 5k. I hope i get a decent return.... That just means more paintball gear.

AcemanPB
02-04-2005, 12:58 AM
I had worked last summer and kind of forgot about and then I found out the other day that I'm getting 250 dollars back in taxes :clap:

Dubstar112
02-04-2005, 01:09 AM
I do work full time. I make 9 dollars an hour installing fence. Full time. However lay off's suck. And I dont collect unemployment.