PDA

View Full Version : Pour water in bag of paint ??

Skoad
02-06-2005, 01:24 AM
I thought I read a long time ago that Tom recommended that you pour a cup of water in a bag of paint and let it sit for a while, problem is I can't remember what it was supposed to help with.

We have some paint here that is ZERO bounce from waist high, this stuff is crazy. We need to tough'n it up a bit so we can actually shoot it. Was this 'cup o water' method to make the paint less brittle? If not, what can we do with it?

White_Noise
02-06-2005, 01:27 AM
i believe it was to make it less brittle. but you dont pour the water in, that will ruin it, you set the cup of water in it and close the bag so that just the moisture of having thewater insie the bag will make the shells a bit bouncier.

master_alexander
02-06-2005, 01:31 AM
i believe it was to make it less brittle. but you dont pour the water in, that will ruin it, you set the cup of water in it and close the bag so that just the moisture of having thewater insie the bag will make the shells a bit bouncier.

he is right, it works. what kind of paint do you have? the same thing happened to me, but i played with it. and what was left over i red about the cup of water and wala... ...regular paint. just don't knock the cup over

Skoad
02-06-2005, 01:36 AM
draxxus seconds.

we got a case of blue and purple shelled. The blue is horrible, but the purple isn't too bad :P

GT
02-06-2005, 09:51 AM
or you can get your hands wet and run them through the bag. Here in houston its so humide you can dam near just leave the cases open.

68magOwner
02-06-2005, 12:56 PM
i wish i would have known this trick earlier, a few weeks ago i had som paint that was zero bounce from under a foot high (literally, you could even it and it would break) stuff was just exploding from the force of the halo, and if that didnt do it, the force of the bolt did, no fun for anyone

Torbo
02-06-2005, 01:41 PM
ive got some similar. Running wet hands through it works great. Im doing that, and letting it sit infront of my heat vent. It seems to do the trick, its way tougher....only thing is that it seems to dimple the paint.

nameless143
02-07-2005, 07:37 PM
How long are you supposed to leave the cup in the bag for?

nt2004
02-07-2005, 07:41 PM
I believe it was take a teaspoon of water and put it in the bag, then swish them around to get full coverage. It is supposed to refresh old paint

EDIT: I must have heard that somewhere else, heres a qote directly from toms tech tips (scroll down on the first page while you just get to AO)
"So now that you know what you have, what do you do about it? Well we have a fix for that too. Back to the idea of moisture, by controlling the moisture in the paint shell you can adjust the bounce level but only to a certain extent. If your paint is too fragile you can generally move it up one category by setting the bag on a table, opening it up and placing a standing glass of water inside the bag and closing it back up. Let it sit overnight and your paint should move up one bounce category. If it's too bouncy (not likely lately) then you can leave the bag open over night and unless your in a humid area the paint should get a little more fragile. All of this is true for standard gelatin paintballs, we have NOT tested the new dry paints so we are not sure if the same thing applies. Test it yourself and let us know."

Automaggin2
02-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Don't put water in a bag of paint....not a god idea. I leanred this my first day paintballing, on the way back from teh sports store i noticed i broke a ball in one of my 200 round boxes, so i stuck them in water for a few minutes. I left the room and came back in and they all doubled in size within minutes

MicroMiniMe
02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
The trick for softening up a container of rock solid brown sugar is to put an apple in and seal it up and let the released moisture be absorbed by the sugar. Same trick might work for brittle paint, and not have to add water directly to the bag. Just drop an apple in if storing an open bag.

Ellomdian
02-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Best thing you can do is to put the paint in the bag in an old case (cardboard) and put a cup of water (styrofoam works best) right side up in the box. tie the bag, and leave it overnight. DO NOT LEAVE THE PAINT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT OR HEAT - you will get .98 calibur instead of .60 ;)

1-2 nights at most - the paint tends to soften after that.

If you need to play NOW - use a spray bottle and mist the inside of a bag - put in paint, tie, and put into direct sunlight or in front of a register. If you do this for more than like 1hr tho, the paint will pop - ah mi....

GL

minimag03
02-08-2005, 04:57 PM
I have never heard of this. I'm going to have to try it out. BTW, good post.

-minimag03

PBkilla123
02-21-2005, 07:07 PM
I would think it would make it soft and it will expand. Never tried maybe i will. But not w/ a whole bag.

Yogster
02-21-2005, 07:38 PM
I can just see it now lets pour a cup of water in the bag and shoot beach balls for a day.There gonna swell big time.

Skoad
02-21-2005, 08:06 PM
we stuck a cup of water in a bag and let it sit for 2 days. It actually helped it, and instead of being 0 bounce paint it was up to about 5.

A few of the balls got stuck to each other though, so as an afterthought it might have helped if we tumbled the balls after each day or mixed them up.

J.James
02-21-2005, 08:49 PM
I've done the same w/ some bags of lousy paint . Except we found that if you tumble/ jumble the balls after 6 hours then let it sit for another 6, they wont stick to each other as bad if at all . Plus it took less time to get the same results.

tha flynnrod
02-21-2005, 11:03 PM
here is what your supposed to do...

Step 1: Pour 1 cup of streaming hot water per 250 balls. (2 cups total for a bag of 500)
Step 2: Shake bag vigourously for 10 minutes.

HAHAHA that should loosen em right up! :rofl:

VFX_Fenix
02-21-2005, 11:09 PM
According to GAP (http://www.greatamericanpaintballs.com/PaintballHydration.html) follow the link and see what they say, generally, 2 table spoons is what I believe they recommned.

elprup
02-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Bread keeps chocolate chip cookies moist and supple, so...

Jerhew
02-22-2005, 12:54 AM
to sum up...intoduciing moisture in some way to the paint will make it less brittle...
there are probably several ways to do this...some better than others...

how about leave a bag of paint open in a closet with a humidifier...
never tried it...but it could work, i think light steam would be easier on the paint than pouring water on it...
and it might be faster than the cup of water in the bag trick

i've heard of leaving cut fruit(lemons, limes, apples or oranges) in the same bag as uh... some illegal substances :D ... moistens them up(not condoning the use of illegal substances btw)
might work with paintballs also...
and you could have lemon scented paint :)

armyballer
02-22-2005, 01:27 AM
i've heard of leaving cut fruit(lemons, limes, apples or oranges) in the same bag as uh... some illegal substances :D ... moistens them up(not condoning the use of illegal substances btw)
might work with paintballs also...
and you could have lemon scented paint :)

not only hav ei heard of htat but i have done it in my younger days not anymore though and it works the great thing abou tit is that you can choose your scent jsut pick from any number of fruits but if you are goign to use oranges or the such us ethe peels not the actualy orange

Blazestorm
02-22-2005, 01:29 AM
I just got my hands wet, ran them through the bags of paint, made it slightly less brittle, I need to do it moreso.

I have around 3000 rounds I need to do this to, this paint is 0 bounce paint :(

I want it like 3-4 bounce paint.

It definately works though, I have some zero-bounce paint at about 2 feet up that I might try to revive (This paint is so brittle the weight of other paint on top of it breaks it. Not kidding.)