PDA

View Full Version : Honda is making a truck

dj89
02-06-2005, 07:27 PM
http://automobiles.honda.com/images/new_models/ridgeline/overview/main.jpg

:eek:

I think thats ulgy. Wonder what the gas mileage is like?

Python14
02-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Looks like Kingman made a Chevy Avalanche

dj89
02-06-2005, 07:38 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bear_Claw
02-06-2005, 08:59 PM
No honda made a civic with a lift and the hatch cut off lol. It even front wheel drive and unibody. It is an imbaressment to the word truck.

Sorry for the out burst but I have never liked hondas mutch befor but after that abomination of them calling it a truck i now HATE honda.

WickeDKlowN
02-06-2005, 09:16 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Why the hell would you make a 4 wheel drive truck with oinly a V-6.

Bear_Claw
02-06-2005, 09:23 PM
It not 4 wheel drive it Front wheel drive with an automatic 'ALL WHEEL DRIVE"

Very differant no transfer case and useless for anything other than a snowy road.

Steelrat
02-06-2005, 09:45 PM
I strongly dislike it.

They'll sell tons of them.

wad04
02-06-2005, 11:13 PM
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

no and no stupid honda stick to your stuipd cars

tony3
02-06-2005, 11:16 PM
I think it looks cool, then against I'll never drive a pickup for any reason.

gamarada717
02-07-2005, 12:51 AM
I love how they threw the mud on there to make it look tough. Oh, I can't wait to make fun of kids that go to my school who get those :)

CaliMagFan
02-07-2005, 01:06 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Toyota Tacoma? Chevy Blazer/s10- all of the GMC trucks with the 4.3 vortec v6/ all of the 6 cyl jeeps are good too, the early Yj's with inline carburation are a little rough, but EFI solved that.... those are all pretty solid trucks with 4 wheel drive and 6cyl engines... I don't see the harm in it.... of course, this is a pavement pounder and looks to be fullsize, or there abouts

Miscue
02-07-2005, 02:27 AM
Starts at $27.7k? They are nuts. I'd sooner get a Nissan or Toyota truck - if limited to Japanese trucks.

Steelrat
02-07-2005, 02:35 AM
I love how they threw the mud on there to make it look tough. Oh, I can't wait to make fun of kids that go to my school who get those :)

Its covered in mud because my Titan ran that sissy truck off the road ;)

Miscue
02-07-2005, 02:57 AM
Its covered in mud because my Titan ran that sissy truck off the road ;)

That's a WAY better truck than that Honda. I have to wonder what these Honda people were thinking. If they sold the thing for like $16k starting - that's one thing. But they're asking way too much for this ugly, odd vehicle that doesn't seem to have anything remarkable about it... considering that you can get a well-loaded Titan for what their starting price goes for.

Dubstar112
02-07-2005, 02:59 AM
honda crv with 4ft bed and fancy transverse awd capable layout.

vtec v6?.. put a fart can on it and call it fast.

cockerkiller68
02-07-2005, 03:26 AM
If I were a rich man:

I'd buy one just to set it on fire and roll it off a cliff...
then I'd post the video all over the internet.

That's just me though. ;)

SpecialBlend2786
02-07-2005, 04:07 AM
wow....just wow.

I want a frontier.

Army
02-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Hate to break it to you guys, but Honda has made trucks all along......just not for export to America.

S'funny though, what you guys are saying about their truck, is the same thing we used to say about their cars:

"What? Honda is making a car? Why don't they stick with motorcycles?"

:D

Lohman446
02-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Hate to break it to you guys, but Honda has made trucks all along......just not for export to America.

S'funny though, what you guys are saying about their truck, is the same thing we used to say about their cars:

"What? Honda is making a car? Why don't they stick with motorcycles?"

:D

And if I recall, there first cars sucked too... nothing like a good old two cylinder engine - yes, I'm right on that.

Linkwarner
02-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I had a inline 4, 4wd truck, good gas milage, quite a bit of power, all 120 horses

paintbattler
02-07-2005, 09:12 PM
its really ugly and...weird

evildead420
02-08-2005, 12:37 AM
all it needs now is a rice cooker. ;)

cockerkiller68
02-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Burn it!!! :mad:
Burn it!! :mad:

maglover728
02-08-2005, 07:42 AM
One good point about this truck is I have heard that it has heating coils in the tailgate. That way your hands won't freeze when you find yourself pushing it after the first snow of the season. :clap:

SoccerPaintball3
02-08-2005, 01:30 PM
in my opinion it is one of the ugliest trucks i have ever seen.

mcveighr
02-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Avalanche is uglier, its still pretty bad though,

Latchkey
02-08-2005, 03:12 PM
You do realize that this ugly piece is comming from the same company that made that heap called the ELEMENT. By far the uglyest thing out there. Someone in my town drives one of them. I want to pull a Happy Gilmore like he did to the guy in the ugly golf shirt every time I see them driving it. What a waste of money.

Hasty8
02-08-2005, 03:23 PM
And if I recall, there first cars sucked too... nothing like a good old two cylinder engine - yes, I'm right on that.

Actually, their first American released cars far surpassed most of what Detroit was putting out at the time in regards to fuel economy, which made them an immediate favorite thanks to the fuel crisis and price.

The reason for the percieved flaw was that like all typical Americans the belief was that bigger was better.

When the first Civic debuted back in 72 most Americans were still driving all steel Caddy's that weighed around 3000lbs and there was pretty much zilch in the way of any reliable research on collision survival. Basically, the first econo-boxes were death traps in an accident.

Of course, everyone said that they would never last.

Now look at today. On the street-race circuit almost all top contenders are rice burners. I had a really sweet 85 Buick Regal that was just all balz. It took me over a year of late night and weekends in my high schools motor shop to truly tune that beast out but now some nitwit with a couple grand could in a weekend take a Civic, drop in a Spoon kit and have a really nasty ride.

IMHO this is just typical knee-jerk reaction to new things. Humans fear change.

I might try one myself but I don't like pickups. I much perfer my minivan (waits for the guffaws). I've been driving the Caravan line since 91 and for a daily/recreational it rocks.

When I finally do get a moment I plan on building another racer, this time with my son but most likley it will be a ricer and not American steel. If I'm truly able I would love to build two.

Get him a truly fabulous Honda 2000 or even a Skyline (Yes, I know they are currently illegal in the States but I heard rumors of a diluted version being made available for us) and, dare I dream, a '72 Chevy Nova for me.

Aw crap, hold on...I just wet my pants....

Anyway, I don't think this particular model was made to compete with the more heavy-duty models. As state earlier it's a pavement pounder with the ability to do some rather light trail work.

My .02

Quick ad here - I'm also thinking of doing something hairy with a Scion xB. As for the Element, I sorta like it. I love the fold away seats and the continuous rubberized floor. Makes it very easy to clean out but yeah, it is fugly as all heck.

One more quick add here. Just found this article on the xB and this paragragh is hilarious:

Unlike the Pontiac Aztek, an SUV so gruesome it turns onlookers to stone, the xB is not a heavy-handed pastiche. Sure, there’s a bit of bread van, a touch of funeral hearse, a soupcon of the old mini, a hint of an industrial air conditioning unit. But the xB is what it is, in a non-apologetic kind of way. If you like owning something “distinctive”, well, Scion’s boxy four-door is certainly that. The xB is at least as visually arresting as a Ferrari, Bentley or Aston— for $14k.

stondroopy
02-08-2005, 04:04 PM
I wonder what the load and tow capacity are? And where do you put the wing? :D

Lohman446
02-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Actually, their first American released cars far surpassed most of what Detroit was putting out at the time in regards to fuel economy, which made them an immediate favorite thanks to the fuel crisis and price.

Thank god I wasn't around then - but fuel economy from what I have ever heard from those who worked on them (I'll acknowledge the bias no) was all they had going for them. They were mechanical nightmares from what I understand. Maybe this means, in ten or twenty years, that Honda will have a decent truck.

Agreed on the minivan, for non-off road use its hard to have a more all around vehicle - hauling people, stuff, and all around reliability... with some glaring exceptions :cough: Windstar :cough:

Crighton
02-08-2005, 04:11 PM
I wonder what the load and tow capacity are? And where do you put the wing? :D

Technical
• 255-hp, 3.5-Liter, 24-Valve SOHC VTEC® V-6 Engine
• 5-Speed Automatic Transmission
• Variable Torque Management® 4-Wheel Drive System (VTM-4®)
• Locking Rear Differential
• Heavy-Duty Automatic-Transmission and Power Steering Coolers
• Heavy-Duty Radiator with Dual 160-Watt Fans
• Fresh-Air Intake
• 4-Wheel Independent Suspension

Capabilities
• 5,000-lb. Towing Capacity
• 1,550-lb. Total Payload Capacity
• Half-Ton (1,100-lb) Bed Capacity

Safety
• Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with EBD and Brake Assist
• Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with Traction Control
• Front, Side and Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensor
• Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
• Power Door and Tailgate Locks
• LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)

Audio
• 100-Watt AM/FM/XM®-Ready/CD Audio System with 6 Speakers

Interior
• Power Windows, Door Locks and Mirrors
• Multifunctional Center Storage Console with Sliding Armrest
• 60/40 Lift-Up Rear Seat with Underseat Storage
• Power Sliding Rear Cabin Window

Exterior
• Dual-Action Tailgate
• In-Bed Trunk™
• Automatic Heated Wiper Zone
• Remote Entry System
• Large Foldable Side Mirrors
• Privacy Glass
• Integrated Bed Lights (4) with Auto-Off Timer
• Heavy-Duty Tow Hooks (Front and Rear)
• Hidden Roof-Mounted Antenna

Lohman446
02-08-2005, 04:13 PM
• Heavy-Duty Tow Hooks (Front and Rear)

Thoughtfully added, should you ever make the mistake of thinking this of being a real off-road capable truck and take it... well into anything that looks like mud. :D

I do see a big niche though for a light, on road truck thing like this, full size but not.. well a real truck. I mean really, how many Silverado 1500s do you see off road, people have learned, even with the full size trucks in general, if you want a current serious truck, you buy a 2500.

dj89
02-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Capabilities

• 1,550-lb. Total Payload Capacity

Well I can't get it. If I get all 4 of my buds and gear in it, its way over.

Benfica4ever
02-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Ok i think its enough flaming hondas. God damn i can just imagine what kind of reactions the scion got when it first came out, now that car blows. And for the last time loads of the hondas you see are made in america, assembelled and parts made in america so i wouldent just say oh stupid japaneese cars. They are decent cars and cheap to buy. yes some hondas are crap becuase the people who own em rice them out. I bet some of you talking about how your cars can blow out any honda should i post some vids of little civics RAPING stangs and A VIPER and a skyline. so lets calm down on the civic bashing.( im a german car fan myself)

The truck isent that bad how about some of you drive the thing before you start flaming it.

Crighton
02-08-2005, 04:19 PM
It's a toy tower like many of the 1500's, tacomas and the like. Probably going to have a hard time of it though with that starting price being so high. Most of the competition starts well below that.

Lohman446
02-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Ok i think its enough flaming hondas. God damn i can just imagine what kind of reactions the scion got when it first came out, now that car blows. And for the last time loads of the hondas you see are made in america, assembelled and parts made in america so i wouldent just say oh stupid japaneese cars. They are decent cars and cheap to buy. yes some hondas are crap becuase the people who own em rice them out. I bet some of you talking about how your cars can blow out any honda should i post some vids of little civics RAPING stangs and A VIPER and a skyline. so lets calm down on the civic bashing.( im a german car fan myself)

The truck isent that bad how about some of you drive the thing before you start flaming it.

We're flaming it because it looks like that, because it is built off a uni-body chasey and because it looks like Honda's historical poor entrance into a new line. We're flaming it because of an all wheel drive system that is (very likely) just not comparable to other full size trucks four wheel drive system. It also appears to have laughable payload specifications. Get over it.

XbeasleyX
02-08-2005, 05:08 PM
I wish GM would just import the Holden UTE. It can haul stuff, is RWD, 5.7L, with 4 doors(optional). This Honda truck is horrible and if you seriously need to work with a truck, you buy a GMC or Chevy 2500 or up. (or ford if you like that sort of thing). Anyway the market doesn't need a Honda that is a retarded Avalanche's beaten, weak, step-child.

Hasty8
02-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Thank god I wasn't around then - but fuel economy from what I have ever heard from those who worked on them (I'll acknowledge the bias no) was all they had going for them. They were mechanical nightmares from what I understand. Maybe this means, in ten or twenty years, that Honda will have a decent truck.

Agreed on the minivan, for non-off road use its hard to have a more all around vehicle - hauling people, stuff, and all around reliability... with some glaring exceptions :cough: Windstar :cough:

Oh, I do off-road with Shelia too.

Not rock climbing, mud-slinging off-road mind you but I have had to take her over some pretty rough road to get to the campsites.

As for the mechanical issues, this is true with just about everything.

Toasters today are more technological then when they frist came out.

It is typical human nature to fer new things becuase new things means change.

Anyway, I think the truck in question looks silly. Sorta like a Brat on 'roids.

Hasty8
02-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Thoughtfully added, should you ever make the mistake of thinking this of being a real off-road capable truck and take it... well into anything that looks like mud. :D

I do see a big niche though for a light, on road truck thing like this, full size but not.. well a real truck. I mean really, how many Silverado 1500s do you see off road, people have learned, even with the full size trucks in general, if you want a current serious truck, you buy a 2500.

I've seen more than my share of "off-raod capable" trucks get stuck in the mud. Hell, I've seen Hummers and Silverado's get stuck in as little as 6 inches.

That's why yah gotta get some Mattracks (http://www.mattracks.com/) :headbang:

BeaverEater
02-08-2005, 05:59 PM
You guys just found out about this truck?? Its been on their website for like 6 months.

tony3
02-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Well I can't get it. If I get all 4 of my buds and gear in it, its way over.

You must be really fat, that mean all of you weigh around 250 lbs, and each of your gear bags are alitle over 100 lbs. Which I doubt is true, therefore, you must be like 300 each with 50-75 lb gear bags. Slimfast.

dj89
02-08-2005, 06:09 PM
lets see 250+250+200+300+3 scubas+ 4 loaded gear bags+ what ever eles we bring.............

The 300 is not on the team he just plays for fun ;)

GT
02-08-2005, 06:49 PM
When the first Civic debuted back in 72 most Americans were still driving all steel Caddy's that weighed around 3000lbs

Caddy made a car that weighed under 400lbs?

and weekends in my high schools motor shop to truly tune that beast out but now some nitwit with a couple grand could in a weekend take a Civic, drop in a Spoon kit and have a really nasty ride.

Spoon crap is never worth the money and anytime someone actually says that have "spoon" stuff is full of it. In 2000 I had a shop swap a b18b, non vetc, into my 95 hatch. There were very few hybrids, that is what they are called when you take one motor and place it in anothers body, in houston. On a good night all motor, basic bolt ons, I could cut high 14's and I got around 35 mpg, and yes even 35 mpg at the track. best millage I ever got with that setup was 44 mpg on the highway.

Before F&F it was an absolute blast to destroy big headed, pridefull, domestic owners. Racing for a few bucks was always fun, if I got the move or some land it was over. I killed lots of mustangs in my day, with less than 200 hp, although the ls-1's were a completly different story. Ironically street racing has little to do with hp and more with learning how to drive.

two years later one of my best buds droped some serious money on a fully built motor and turbo setup. After a few hours of tunning he was hitting 430hp and about 360ft/lbs trq. Too watch the blood drain out of a viper owners face is priceless did I mention that its his daily dirver and he gets about 35 mpg?

When I finally do get a moment I plan on building another racer, this time with my son but most likley it will be a ricer and not American steel. If I'm truly able I would love to build two.

Get him a truly fabulous Honda 2000 or even a Skyline

s2k kinda sux, to heavy. From what i hear the skyline is going to come to the US at around 60-65k. The better deals are always in the house of honda.

Quick ad here - I'm also thinking of doing something hairy with a Scion xB.

I just bought a new xB. Ugly and fun to drive. What is inresting is that it is lighter than my old miata. There is huge potenital in these cars, just wondering if the aftermarket will take them any further than beans and rice.

Anyway, I don't think this particular model was made to compete with the more heavy-duty models. As state earlier it's a pavement pounder with the ability to do some rather light trail work.

Who makes a "real" truck anymore? If you want to tow something buy a desiel. Want to offroad? Buy a jeep. Everything else is little more jacked up mini vans.

bofh
02-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Who makes a "real" truck anymore? If you want to tow something buy a desiel. Want to offroad? Buy a jeep. Everything else is little more jacked up mini vans.

Quoted for truth.

mcveighr
02-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Quoted for truth.

Indeed, you can't match the power by mileage of the Cummins, Duramax, and Powerstroke diesels on the light truck market with a gasser. Most useful trucks are longbed and Ext. Cab or Crew Cab, duallys which is just too big(and expensive!) to offroad. Buy a Jeep.

GT
02-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Most useful trucks are longbed and Ext. Cab or Crew Cab, duallys which is just too big(and expensive!) to offroad. Buy a Jeep.

I looked at some "real" trucks at the auto show last week. I cant believe some guys drop 50-60k on a dam desiel truck, or even 30-35k on a baby truck. Makes 50k for a vette look like a bargin.

thereal_JT
02-08-2005, 11:42 PM
i love honda cars to death but if you are going to get a truck do it right and get american, i'm sorry but if you look at a road over in japan or one of these other countries where these companies "come" from you aren't going to see trucks.

plain and simple the us is a "redneck" country and we have been building trucks for what around 90something years or so. trucks are not made to be light on gas or weak on the horsies, we want to be able to knock a building over into the bed and drag it away without worrying if the engine can handle it.

again i say i love honda cars :) :D

JT

Smileatom88
02-09-2005, 04:24 AM
I like it. I wouldn't buy it, but I like it. Hey. It's new. ;)

Wavesport001
02-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Honda's previous "truck/suv", the passport, was just a rebadged isuzu rodeo. That thing could offroad! Real 4wd with tcase and 4low, body welded on frame, skid plates, limited slip rear, steel bumpers (pre 98), a 5000 lb towing capacity with a 200hp v6. Why did honda stop using those and make this crap instead? Now isuzu stopped importing (or making not sure) rodeos!

joez
02-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Honda's previous "truck/suv", the passport, was just a rebadged isuzu rodeo. That thing could offroad! Real 4wd with tcase and 4low, body welded on frame, skid plates, limited slip rear, steel bumpers (pre 98), a 5000 lb towing capacity with a 200hp v6.

No full framed vehicle has ever had the body "welded" onto the frame.

dj89
02-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Honda's previous "truck/suv", the passport, was just a rebadged isuzu rodeo. That thing could offroad! Real 4wd with tcase and 4low, body welded on frame, skid plates, limited slip rear, steel bumpers (pre 98), a 5000 lb towing capacity with a 200hp v6. Why did honda stop using those and make this crap instead? Now isuzu stopped importing (or making not sure) rodeos!
So many things could go wrong if they welded the body on to the frame.