PDA

View Full Version : Remodeling our basement, but what to put in it?

tony3
02-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Well heres are the 3 options, we put added onto our house and went into the basement, so we got a nice big room with nothing in it. My parents said they would do one of these 3 things with it, or whatever else we could think of, so whatever else you think, post it

Right now on our other side we got a 27in tv, crappy couch and some chairs, table tennis table, air hockey table, pingball machine.

Option 1: Pool table, get a nice pool table and turn the new side into a lounge type thing.

Option 2: New Ping Pong Table, ours is in pretty bad condition, we love to play, we'd get a really nice table.

Option 3: Turn the new side into a home theater. Get a big tv, surround sound, good couches all that stuff. Also put the air hockey table in the new side. This allows more room for the ping pong table on the other side of the basement.

BD_Paintball
02-06-2005, 11:42 PM
i voted for the Ping Pong table because i dont play pool and i love Ping Pong. alot of people play ping pong and if you already have a ok tv then you really dont need a huge one unless you plan on watching movies and stuff like that.

dj89
02-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Option 3: Turn the new side into a home theater. Get a big tv, surround sound, good couches all that stuff. Also put the air hockey table in the new side. This allows more room for the ping pong table on the other side of the basement.
That one.

Muzikman
02-06-2005, 11:56 PM
A Brass Poll.

I would go for the pool table. But only a full sized (4x8 or 4.5x9).

matmc89
02-07-2005, 01:16 AM
reball facility......or pool table

dj89
02-07-2005, 01:20 AM
reball facility......
We all want one of those.

Steelrat
02-07-2005, 01:41 AM
Pool tables are a waste. They seldom get used, and their resale is horrible. Trust me on this.

I voted home theater :headbang:

Automaggin2
02-07-2005, 02:17 AM
I would say a new TV. My dad just bought this one 62inch Mitsubishi DLPLCD

RevBrown
02-07-2005, 03:20 AM
All the cool kids have pool tables

LudavicoSoldier
02-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Home Theater! You KNOW you want to play X-Box properly!

PumpPlayer
02-07-2005, 08:52 AM
I didn't see "bar" on your list... So I voted for the theater.

TheTramp
02-07-2005, 11:53 AM
I'd put in a bar and expand my home brewery but as that doesn't seem to be an option I voted for home theater.

jamescell
02-07-2005, 12:14 PM
You should do a home theater. Scrap the tv idea, get a front projection system. I had my doubts about them at first but now I will never turn back. They are way more cost effective, I have a 74" 16:9 screen and it only cost me a grand. If you get used to the screen size you can always make it bigger, just move you projector back. With the new tech projectors you can have a true hd picture. Get the true theater feeling!

lord1234
02-07-2005, 12:34 PM
no no, build a homebrewery....

fcpchop
02-07-2005, 01:40 PM
i think option 3 is the best, but if i was you I would do that then save up for a nice ping pong table too ;)

Muzikman
02-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Pool tables are a waste. They seldom get used, and their resale is horrible. Trust me on this.

I voted home theater :headbang:

I dunno, I grew up with a poll table and it was always used. I played atleast every other night by myself and on Friday and Saturday the gang was always over in the basement shooting pool and listening to music.

In my mind, a pool table is a MUST in any game room. And the resale of a good table is very good, but also very expensive to ever have moved. Besides, why would you ever sell it? Want to talk about resale value. How much is that home theater worth in 5 years?

desslock
02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
throw down some astro turf and some netting make a 3 man airball field!!! charge people money to play at your "indoor field" in no time your basement will pay for itself LOL!

j/k thats what I told my fiance I was going to do. We are having a house built should be done by late aug and sept. I can tell you that only 1 out 4 people I know with pool tabels still play on a regualr basis. Ping pong tables can easily be converted to beer pong, if thats your thing. I personally would go with the home theater option. But hey thats just my opinion.

Hairball
02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Home theater and eventually a new PingPong table. I love ping pong, and I like expensive electronics.

Steelrat
02-07-2005, 05:21 PM
I dunno, I grew up with a poll table and it was always used. I played atleast every other night by myself and on Friday and Saturday the gang was always over in the basement shooting pool and listening to music.

In my mind, a pool table is a MUST in any game room. And the resale of a good table is very good, but also very expensive to ever have moved. Besides, why would you ever sell it? Want to talk about resale value. How much is that home theater worth in 5 years?

You got me there, I should have said "I never used it much" instead of making a blanket statement. That being said, the friends of mine who have pool tables use them much less the friends who have home theaters.

WenULiVeUdiE
02-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Go with front projection. Use some left over money to buy yourselves a nice Ping Pong table and some other stuff.

Steelrat
02-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Go with front projection. Use some left over money to buy yourselves a nice Ping Pong table and some other stuff.

The problem with front projection is that, to do it well, it costs a good chunk of change. Plus, you need to have it very dark. But I would love to do one myself.

Blazestorm
02-07-2005, 06:30 PM
3 + 2

:d

tony3
02-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Good websites with info about front projectors?

Edit: I was reading a bit on them, light shouldnt be a problem, no windows, it's really dark in there.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
02-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Projectors are pretty sweet, this kid I know, has one, and there is nothing like a life size movie.

Steelrat
02-07-2005, 09:39 PM
I dunno about websites, but here are some brands:

Sony
Sharp
IBM
HP
Vidikron
Runco

I'm sure there are plenty more. Remember though, you get what you pay for...

-Tab
02-07-2005, 09:43 PM
definetly go for a home theatre. people get tired of pool - not so much pingpong

i bet it's awfully hard to get tired of a home theatre system

maglover728
02-08-2005, 03:09 AM
#3, with a kegerator. drunken halo on a big screen is fun.