PDA

View Full Version : How did AGD get it on there??

Alpha
02-07-2005, 06:17 PM
So I've never taken the vertical ASA off my mag's front rail. I'm sellign it now, adn I need the vertical asa.

Problem is the two hex's are on there SO tight.

I dont know WHAT tom kaye was eating, but I gotta find out.

Thing is solid.

Any ideas before I try heat?

stop whining buy a mag
02-07-2005, 06:45 PM
If I'm not mistaken it's weak loctite, but if left on for a while those screws can get pretty stubborn. Heat is your best bet.

Alpha
02-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I've been heating it with a grill lighter for a god minute, adn still, it is stripping my allen wrench. EVen when I use the allen in conjunciton with a 2 foot pipe wrench.

I dont want to torch it becuase I'm afraid I'll chip the anno onthe asa. Should I put the heat directly onto the head of the screws and let it conduct down? Thats what I've been doing, but still no joy.

Vanced
02-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Well I know I have had them sezie on there before... more than once... a combination of time and rust... ( or I just stripped it out) And had the drill down through the Socket head Cap Screw untill you hit to where the threads are... then it will fall off the rail... you have to take a pair of vise grips or what ever to twist the rest of the screw out...

and note... IT WILL BE HOT... when you do this ... I burnt my poor little hand once ... :rolleyes: because I wasn't thinking... besure to let it cool.. & use a towel or lined gloves...

There may be better solutions... but this has always worked for me...

And be sure just to try a little penitrating oil first before you take it to my extream... assuming you haven't stripped the cap screw out yet...

Soopa Villain17
02-07-2005, 06:50 PM
when i took mine off i just cranked on em real hard with a allen wrench, maybe you could use like a long 3/8 socket and put it over the wrench for a lil bit of leverage or something

Alpha
02-07-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow.. Holy crap this is crazy. They should use blue loctite.

sabrefanpc
02-07-2005, 06:57 PM
longer your wrench the better, and be careful with the heat. maybee a breaker bar.

Alpha
02-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Ya like I said I'm using an allen in conjuction with a 2 foot pipe wrench.. So distance from the fulcrum or whatever isn't the problem. This baybe is SEIZED. ITs like it melted to the asa. I'm gonna have to drill it out witht he drill press. Sucks though, I'm skipping school tomorrow so I can go to the patirots parade, so I can't get to the shop.

stop whining buy a mag
02-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Just maybe something to try tonight real quick. Some people have gotten loctite off by putting the piece in boiling water for a while. Not sure if it will work but may just provide heat for a long enough period of time.

Muzikman
02-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Yep, boiling water is your friend. Give it a try and see what happens. I have never had a vert apater get stuck though.

Alpha
02-08-2005, 06:35 AM
I boiled it for a good 2 minutes while the water was boiling off like crazy.

Still nohing. Still seized. I'm going to tap into the head wih the drill press at my shop.

cockerkiller68
02-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Heat the rail as much as possible w/o heating the bolt. Keep the bolt cool as you can. :)