PDA

View Full Version : Back to being a n00b?

GT
02-08-2005, 10:41 PM
I have given this a lot of thought lately. Have you guys considered going back to a n00bish setup. I have considered selling all of my gear; except my tank, loader, mask, and harness and trading it all in for a spyder or a model 98C. Most of my days are spent playing with a mixed bag of noobs and tourney practice, even though I don't play in any tourneys. It just seems that the mag is complete over kill, with a few exceptions. I would more than love to go out and buy an emmpire timmy or an ego but I dont think I will play at that level; but then again very few people do....Any thoughts?

-gt

RRfireblade
02-08-2005, 10:45 PM
That's why a always keep alot of that gear around.Still have a Spyder Shutter (Noob pro gun 3-4yrs ago ;)) And an endless supply of Tippys.

Never know when you want to go undercover.

punkncat
02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
I just couldn't step back that far. I love to get out the classic mag and shoot it, but I just can't deal with the blender action of a Spyder...

I suggest buying a really fine mech of some sort as a backup and use it from time to time. Heck, just go get a classic valve for your current setup.

SAW
02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
That's what the Phanty is for! :D

RRfireblade
02-08-2005, 10:50 PM
I just couldn't step back that far. I love to get out the classic mag and shoot it, but I just can't deal with the blender action of a Spyder...

Jam bolt, $35....Done. ;)

Shorty
02-08-2005, 10:56 PM

Yes. I'd rather have a nice pump than a blowback.

As for selling your mag, unless it's a nice E/Xmag, why bother selling it? You'll lose too much money to make it worth it imo. It's not like you have the latest newest electrowhatever either. The mag is a nice solid gun, and you can introduce other people to AGD, right?

minimagjim
02-08-2005, 10:59 PM
anyone could look like a newb but would you play like one? I mean sure all of us had our days of awe when we first saw a semi-automatic paintball gun, NO PUMPING :wow: I remember that day well it was when i saw the brass eagle raptor I was amazed at how fast it could shoot ;) To get or go back to your newb setup would be fun, I play with most of my guns. I got a tippmann98, minimag, tac, emag, tigershark, spyder compact and a few others. I like to see if its me or my gun that makes the difference. And let me tell you i can rip on my tippy and play hardcore with that tigershark. Sure i get looks like 'he's a noob' but when I get out there and play alongside electros and expensive guns and im the only one who wants to rush the other team with my pump I get the :ninja: look!

peewee
02-08-2005, 10:59 PM
YEP!! went & bought an A5 with a 20oz tank got a stubby JCS barrel. ( tried to trade my kid out of his 98C he told me no fing way!!!) I love my mag but at times the old blowback is a kick. One of the guys that I play with asked why? I said because for my level ( recball) of play I dont need a $1200 karny (thats what he is running). If I was to get back into serious tourny ball then I might think about it.

GT
02-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Jam bolt, $35....Done. ;)
do those really work?

why bother selling it? You'll lose too much money to make it worth it imo.

You always part out mag stuff. I have never lost money on re selling something.

RRfireblade
02-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Yes, at least the one's I have had done well.

I have them in the Blowback P-Trigger prototypes and the P-Bladed Cocker Protos. Work very well in my experience.Definately got better as they've refined them.

SAW
02-08-2005, 11:12 PM
do those really work?
They do. Really.

Shorty
02-08-2005, 11:12 PM
do those really work?

You always part out mag stuff. I have never lost money on re selling something.

True. You never told us what mag you had though, so I didn't know if it was something newer or not. You can part out an x-valve, intelliframe, etc, for a lot, but probably not a bead-blasted ss body and carbon frame. ;)

RRfireblade
02-08-2005, 11:14 PM
O/T (Sorry)

But are we the only one's up tonite? :)

GT
02-08-2005, 11:43 PM
O/T (Sorry)

But are we the only one's up tonite? :)

I think so. Woohooo no mods. [takes off pants, runs around ao like a chinesse fire drill]

True. You never told us what mag you had

Shorty,
I am tripping over mag crap over here. I have an old classic I use as a paperweight for the wife's thesis.

Enemy
02-08-2005, 11:58 PM
i bought a prolite barrel and had all plans to buy and old tippman pro am but now that im getting further into tourney i dont really have the spare cash to do it!! but i love those things and the trigger is so heavy its just fun!!

webmstrk9
02-09-2005, 12:16 AM
I mix it up, it's all dependent on the type of week I had at work. I still use my spyders back from 95 when playing rec, or just play with a pump. When playing with other tourney teams, the NDFS and X-mag comes out and gets into the mix.

Depending on the mix at the rec field, there could be a large contingent of tourney ballers playing rec, so yeah, the x-mag would play with them, but if it's just a few, I play with the pump or spyders.

*EDIT* Also, keep in mind, most n00b's are afraid to move around. So it would be hard to go back to being a n00b unless you just sit back 50+ yards and long ball.

I say do what makes the game interesting, challenging, and fun to you. Don't we all play this sport for the fun of it?

Steelrat
02-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Everytime I try to use a lower end setup, I just feel disappointed. You get what you pay for, and though the spyders and tippys are solid guns, they just don't have the precision feel I have gotten used to. Call me spoiled...

Oh, as for outgunning the newer players, they usually balance out the players with better equipment at the real rec fields I frequent. I always picture us as providing fire support.

alooney11
02-09-2005, 12:43 AM
if you go back to a spyder you will want to kick your own butt for making such a bad descision, calm down, come to your senses and keep the mag...for your own sake.

maglover728
02-09-2005, 01:37 AM
But we preach that it isn't the gun, it's the player. Maybe just limited paint is a good way to go for you.

joez
02-09-2005, 01:44 AM
I did just that. I sold my tribal off, I sold my e-mag, sold off my uber-loaders (halo, egg's, ect), and i built up a really nice, slide framed mechanical cocker. Mostly older parts, some customized, some out of the box. It feels good to go out now and play with an older mech gun. I would have gone back to my orriginal pirhana, but i couldnt bring myself to go that low, and i just like cockers.

Of course now the cocker has a warp feed on it, but still. :rolleyes:

shatter_storm
02-09-2005, 06:26 AM
I've always kept my old m98 around for when my 'mag goes down. Problem is, my mag doesn't break, so I don't get much of a chance to use it.
I intentionally dug the thing out last sunday and played with it - there's a world of difference between a refined mag setup and a tippmann. I could not, for the life of me, shoot that darn thing lefty. I don't know when the ability to play with a model 98 left me... I've been doing it for five years or so, but I can't use one now. :cry:

Creative Mayhem
02-09-2005, 10:05 AM
I know what you mean, other than AO days or tournys I am usually running over the kids and regluars at the local fields. I have to make a conscious effort to not run them over. I do have my Minimag(albeit warped), it is slower than the xmag, but it too is faster than most out there. Once again, I am running peeps over. So I got myself an AMP Illusion pump, although it is a pump, it is a damn fast pump! I am currently looking to get the stock class add-ons for the AMP, and take the play to a lower, but more skilled level of play.

vonort
02-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Depends on my mood,, and who is at the feild. Just last weekend I took the classic mag out. Had the Freestyle and Blazer with me. But wanted to run the mag through its paces. If your thinking of getting something like a spyder and "dumbing" down your game. Keep the mag and pick up a Victor. They sell for under $100. I definetly would not drop the mag though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/vonort/pbcollection.jpg

These are the choices I have to make every time I go to play. :wow:

nippinout
02-09-2005, 12:42 PM

It's called a Phantom.

Phanty is an abomination. We do not need to rename every damn thing with a 'y'.

bleachit
02-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Keep the mag and pick up a Victor. They sell for under $100. I definetly would not drop the mag though.

I had a mag, classic pf, not the "best mag", ran it on C02, sold it for way too little and have regretted it since.. but I do have a stock tippman 98, great for when you want to "dumb" down your game.

I picked up a victor for under $50, but then sold the mag a few months later.

victor is a good cheap gun to just throw a CO2 tank on and play in some warm weather.

as for spyders beind blenders... just put a decent loader on it, and you will be fine.

the only times I have ever chopped is when I was playing with a batteryless hopper, or if I tilt my gun to one side too much.

shartley
02-09-2005, 01:19 PM
I will never get rid of my Mag for a “lesser” marker. My style of play is to shoot less and move more, so any marker that allows me to shoot at the ROF that my mood calls for is fine with me. I am more concerned with consistency than how expensive the marker is or how fast it will shoot.

As pointed out by another member, if you put a motorized hopper on even lower priced markers (such as Spyders) you should not have any real problems with chopping. I find that chopping for the most part now days is caused by bad feeding, not a “bad marker”. Well…. except if you short stroke. LOL And I have done that a bunch with my Stroker. But that is MY error, not the marker.

Like I said though, I just modify my game for the most part, not my equipment. And I really enjoy helping true noobs on the field, and have often put myself in “harms way” just so they can have a better time or learn some new tactics and techniques. After all, it is really our (older players) responsibility (IMHO) to help bring up the next generation of players. I have even NOT played a game or two just to help a new player with his/her equipment or discuss the game and how to play it more effectively.

I guess it all depends on what each player wants to get out of the game and the sport in general.

Lohman446
02-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Ironically I was having this same consideration myself and I am going to go about it two ways

One, I think I want a mechanical, single trigger mag - preferrably with the very early "unannouned" RT style valve the Jax warriors were using according to rumor. Yeh, so I doubt Ill get luck enough to find one, but a single trigger RT will be fine. Just want a ULE body.

And a pair of PMIs new pistols ;)

GT
02-09-2005, 01:50 PM
I hear ya guys,
I think I may keep one mag. honestly you know what fits the bill is nps' new electro rec gun. at 250 bucks and no need for a tank, this might be the perfect fit for me.

keep the comments comming

brightman
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
The question I pose is this, is your emag really overkill? Yea where playing with a lot of kids but most of them are sporting the newest angel, impulse, shocker, matrix etc...and they all look at the mags/emags and shrug there shoulders. If we chew em up with the mags then it is that much sweeter. I dont think you need to look at a new gun but we need to keep looking for that dream field where we play real adults with real jobs.
Until then I waould say drop the $100, get a tippy and keep the mag. Besides if you sell it I will murder you.

BeaverEater
02-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Whenever i play with my friends at my field, my gun is always overkill compared to theirs. Thats why i've been looking for a nice VSC phantom for a while.

Vanced
02-09-2005, 02:32 PM
The question I pose is this, is your emag really overkill? Yea where playing with a lot of kids but most of them are sporting the newest angel, impulse, shocker, matrix etc...and they all look at the mags/emags and shrug there shoulders. If we chew em up with the mags then it is that much sweeter. I dont think you need to look at a new gun but we need to keep looking for that dream field where we play real adults with real jobs.
Until then I waould say drop the $100, get a tippy and keep the mag. Besides if you sell it I will murder you.

Yep.... pretty much all of it....

But I wouldn't go tippy, spyder, etc... Even though I still own two older tippy's .. SL-68II and Pro-Lite/AM type custom job... and like and use them on occasion...

I always like to support the Mag, because people at the fields I go too will always question it, and on a VERY rare occasion you convert someone to or at least to try one... I sometimes just like to use an original classic style... It's always a personal satisfaction I guess, if you have to shoot a kid, at least you can say you did it with a marker older than they are... And I just like the "feel" of quality / durability of a Mag when I play... that you don't get with a spyder and newer tippy's... even if the performance is more than there... And well that Level 10 fits those old mags too.. and ya don't have to worry bout that "jam bolt" even though I have seen them work well...

But I would also just play with newb gear/style for a while... it's cheep enough to keep both...keep your good stuff on hand... for half the season at least... before you consider selling it off... what ever you do don't do it hastily...

Just my two worthless virtual 2 cents...

GT
02-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Besides if you sell it I will murder you.

How about if I only sell part of it? I was thinking that ICD has some tasty treats comming down the pipe in march. ;)

dave p
02-09-2005, 06:43 PM
well, back when i bought most of my gear i bought the most bomb proof stuff i could find. hence the minimag (it actually was the gun to fear back when i got it). i have a flex 7 and an xfire, a reds pack, APP 4+1, a 114ci 3000 nitroduck, a remote somewhere and 2 revvys. all of this stuff has lasted me for years and is holding up great. best purchases i ever made. all of it is of course out of style since years ago but its mine, i payed good money for it all and dammit it all works great. so im keeping it and im gonna use it all no matter what anyone thinks. just to have something electro i got a bko cuz it was cheep and fast. mine works great although others have problems. i have a good time using what i have regardless of how unglamorous it all is.

mag88888
02-09-2005, 07:33 PM
i have an idea.......if you want toi dumb down your game and pick up a spyder then get the new kingman anti chop bolt. its 30 bucks, has springs and stuff. for 30 bucks. plus a 100 buck spyder and a revolution thats the way to go for dumbing down your game. i said this cause i wqas hearing "but spyders are blenders." www.kingman.com

Recon by Fire
02-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Keep your gear and just get another low-end for when you are in the mood. Maybe even go with a pump instead. I have my pretty much stock WGP 2003 for laying low :)