PDA

View Full Version : how do i get rid of this stupid aol virus?

wad04
02-10-2005, 06:49 PM
alright i feel really stupid for asking this, but i've tried everything!!!!! i've run anti virus program i've serached it in the computer deleted it once, but then it comes back. if anyone knows how to rid of this stupid thing let me know. GAAAAH

it says like "check out these beach pics! " then it shows the link.

i'm such a dumbass for clicking this.

BobTheCow
02-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Hahahahahahhaha somebody on my buddy list had that up, and I clicked the link without thinking because it was entirely possible for her to actually have beach pics... but then when Firefox asked me to download a .rar, I ducked out. And then laughed on the inside, because she must have actually downloaded it. Just like you. *sigh*

Glickman
02-10-2005, 07:29 PM
silly .rar .... torrents are dumb!

its the ultimate anti-girlfriend virus

Target Practice
02-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Spyware and viruses are the natural selection facilitators of the Internet. Hopefully, those to stupid to avoid/take care of it will have their computers totally incapacitated due to infections.

wad04
02-10-2005, 09:49 PM
so no one has an answer. dang, you know i thought i could handle anything since i built my own computer. some stupid aol virus comes up. dangit

Target Practice
02-10-2005, 10:10 PM
so no one has an answer. dang, you know i thought i could handle anything since i built my own computer. some stupid aol virus comes up. dangit

You built your computer and you don't know how to use antivirus/spyware software?

pbdante
02-10-2005, 10:31 PM
You built your computer and you don't know how to use antivirus/spyware software?

Your toast has been burnt and NO AMOUNT OF SCRAPEING WILL REMOVE THE BLACK STUFF!

redvsblue :headbang:

Target Practice
02-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Your toast has been burnt and NO AMOUNT OF SCRAPEING WILL REMOVE THE BLACK STUFF!

Thank you for that wonderful addition to the thread!

Oh yeah, Halo sucks balls.

Glickman
02-10-2005, 10:52 PM

lol thats great, i went on a spree posting rvb quotes, got a pm from a mod :D

youll probably appreciate this:
http://free.hostultra.com/~RvB/randquote.php (i wrote it from scratch)

hardware is easy, its tangable, but its software where youll get your mind in a blender

make sure u have the following things on your computer:

Spybot S&D
Ad-aware (*note*, not "ADWARE" as thats the bad stuff, my friend actually downloaded some :rolleyes: )
FireWall (or a router, *note* this will not prevent viruses in any way)

psychoreaper_666
02-10-2005, 10:57 PM
you cant simply delete it (it would be a stupid ineffective virus if that were the case) what you most likely will have to do is find all the inffected files (which could be most of your hard drive in an extreme case) and trap them on a disk(s). however that may not work because some viruses embed themselves so deeply that even reformating wont remove them. (some of my friends are into making viruses [they don't send them around though] and they have made ones that would ruin an entire computer right down to the disk drives, i doubt your virus is that destructive though) if it comes down to reformating DO NOT save any thing to a disk because you could be creating more infected files which will infect the computer you put the disk in. all i can say is good luck!!!

ps just deleting won't work because when you delete something it is not gone forever. there are places deep deep deep inside your computer where all the stuff you have ever deleted goes. therefore if you just try to delete the file it is still in your pc

BobTheCow
02-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Oh yeah, Halo sucks balls.BLASPHEMY!!!!! :mad: It is so on...

wad04
02-11-2005, 02:13 PM
yeah i got rid of it...because i'm sweeet like that

jerks

Target Practice
02-11-2005, 03:09 PM
BLASPHEMY!!!!! :mad: It is so on...

Oh Bob, you know I love you. Most of the time in a rough and primal fashion.

Hexis
02-11-2005, 05:20 PM
psychoreaper_666 a Virus/Work/Trojan/Spyware (in general any MalWare) can only "infect" files that are somehow executed. For example, a text file can not be infected and actually do something harmful (unless there is an expolit for notepad that a malformed file could use).

MalWare (Malicious Software) is a pain because it tends to do whatever it can to stay installed. It will copy itself to mutiple locations, put itself in the startup process in mutiple ways, replace normal system files with broken ones. All kinds of nasty crap. You should try a good anti-virus scanner (too many to list), a personal (or host based) firewall (sygate, zonealarm, others) and some anti-spyware software (Adawayre, spybot S&D, MS Anti-Spyware). I would also strongly suggest Firefox as a replacement for IE, and Thundrebird as a replacement for Outlook. An even more secure and easy to use system is OSX on a Mac, but I suspect a new computer is not possible for most folks with spyware/virus problems.

SAW
02-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Ad-aware (*note*, not "ADWARE" as thats the bad stuff, my friend actually downloaded some :rolleyes: )

That was quite amusing. :D