PDA

View Full Version : What's The Most Over-Priced Paintball "Necessity"?

Vex
02-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Personally, I think that the price of o-rings is highway robbery. Why should 10 of the little buggers cost more than $1, let alone $5?!! I know that you can get them cheaper in bulk, but if you're in a pinch, you're left with outrageous prices.

Automaggot68
02-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Personally, I think that the price of o-rings is highway robbery. Why should 10 of the little buggers cost more than $1, let alone $5?!! I know that you can get them cheaper in bulk, but if you're in a pinch, you're left with outrageous prices.

In my opinion, it ranges from paint, to things like triggers.
Why does a Critical trigger cost that much, let alone a rail, or drop foreward?

Vex
02-11-2005, 02:26 AM
Because they (manufacturers) have us by the "balls". We (players) are, unfortunately, willing to pay the outrageous prices.

Target Practice
02-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Eh, from my experience, those Critical triggers are worth every penny.

Mighty Mike
02-11-2005, 02:47 AM
I paid $15 for three pieces of macroline and two elbows...:cry: That's a ripoff!!

Vex
02-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Most definitely!

Automaggot68
02-11-2005, 03:05 AM
Eh, from my experience, those Critical triggers are worth every penny.
I've got one, and I dont feel it's worth THAT much.

REDRT
02-11-2005, 03:07 AM
As many bumpers as we burn up a buck a copy is steap. Macro line is terrible. Gun oil isn't too cheap, but the worst is barrels. As far as are markers go any way. Paint is the number one evil though.

Automaggin2
02-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Paintball pants. Dye wants how much for the C5 pants? $134 at paintballgear. I think markers are ridiculous also. 1350 for a Timmy? You seriously think an Intimidator is that nice and is worth that much? I don't think the craftsmanship is that nice. But then again, Supply&Demand.

SAW
02-11-2005, 06:42 AM
9V's at events...

Scott Hudnall
02-11-2005, 07:00 AM
9V's at events...

LMAO.....so true

okiTony
02-11-2005, 07:03 AM
I agree with REDRT "bumpers and paint is the number one evil."

automikey
02-11-2005, 08:22 AM
It's even hard to find rebuild kits (i.e. 90 durometer AGD O-rings) on ebay for a reasonable amount. Can't someone buy all the AGD O-rings in bulk and assemble kits that can be sold for $5 shipped? Yes, AGD does this, but the price is just really high. I can't believe that the wholesale cost is really high on the O-rings.

Here's an idea: Why not give away markers at cost (like an Xbox) and then make all your money on the extras (like Xbox games)?

If my new Tac-One only cost me $200, I could easily justify a $20 O-ring kit every year.

If no one else solves this problem I just might, as I now have 6 automags and access to really good plumbing supply stores.

Anyone know who makes the O-rings for AGD? I'll go there first.

tipp-ed off
02-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Most over priced is definetly Paintballs. I don't mind paying alot of money for paintball products as long as they last a long time but I do dream of the day when you can get a decent case of paint for $20. ;)

evildead420
02-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Most over priced is definetly Paintballs. ;)

totally, they need that to come down somehow

Automaggin2
02-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Most over priced is definetly Paintballs. I don't mind paying alot of money for paintball products as long as they last a long time but I do dream of the day when you can get a decent case of paint for $20. ;)

I really dont think paint is that bad. If youhave been playing for awhile like me, you'll definatly remember paying $85 for a case of 2500 proballs. I get cases of blaze for 30 a case now, thats not bad at all. Paintballs used to be so expensive

Lorenz0666
02-11-2005, 12:55 PM
I really dont think paint is that bad. If youhave been playing for awhile like me, you'll definatly remember paying $85 for a case of 2500 proballs. I get cases of blaze for 30 a case now, thats not bad at all. Paintballs used to be so expensive

its still that bad, you go feild the kill you on prices, CPX is 90 a case, anything under 50 starts to drop in quilty

BlackHalo
02-11-2005, 01:07 PM
MS gets approx $20 per game you buy minus all the production costs (3rd party developer) * Average # of games someone buys a year * installed userbase = a LOT

Only if you buy lots of consumables and have a large installed userbase does that model work. Maybe a rebuild kit every 3-5 outings with a couple of million markers out there.

Lorenz0666 - When I started, paint was 10-30c a ball. Hell it cost less to go out to a shooting range to plink off some 9mm rounds.

It's even hard to find rebuild kits (i.e. 90 durometer AGD O-rings) on ebay for a reasonable amount. Can't someone buy all the AGD O-rings in bulk and assemble kits that can be sold for $5 shipped? Yes, AGD does this, but the price is just really high. I can't believe that the wholesale cost is really high on the O-rings.

Here's an idea: Why not give away markers at cost (like an Xbox) and then make all your money on the extras (like Xbox games)?

If my new Tac-One only cost me $200, I could easily justify a $20 O-ring kit every year.

If no one else solves this problem I just might, as I now have 6 automags and access to really good plumbing supply stores.

FallNAngel
02-11-2005, 01:10 PM
It's even hard to find rebuild kits (i.e. 90 durometer AGD O-rings) on ebay for a reasonable amount. Can't someone buy all the AGD O-rings in bulk and assemble kits that can be sold for $5 shipped?[/b]

Get me a list of the o-rings and I'll look into it

Jeffy-CanCon
02-11-2005, 01:56 PM

Retail store owners I've talked to say that the marker prices are about as low as they can go. There is very little profit on marker sales. They make their money on aftermarket parts(3-400% mark-up), and paint.

Re: o-rings

Do all you guys realize that you are on an AGD-owned forum, talking about ways to undercut that company? A company that, theoretically, you all support and want to stay in business? $20 every year or two is cheap maintenance.

abunkerer
02-11-2005, 02:04 PM
its still that bad, you go feild the kill you on prices, CPX is 90 a case, anything under 50 starts to drop in quilty

cpx is the worst. play Badlandz, 25$ all day field fee and air fills & bring your own paint..get on their team list and it's 15$ byop.

most expensive thing: when a field charges for air fills, that is the biggest unnecessary rip ever!

Chronobreak
02-11-2005, 02:16 PM
dont wanna pay $90 for a case ? THEN DONT GO THERE! show them you wont stand for that.
by going your saying its ok stick it in the rear please.

there are a # of stores localy here that sell nitroduck for $40 a case..best deal but i know everyone isnt privvy to such an offer.

i find entry fees to be the killer for me..msot the time

paint $ is easy ot scrounge up...but another $20 for entry and all day air onyop of that.. :( i say if i buy a case from a field it should be all day fills free adn entry free. ex at soemthing like $90 a case..

btw if your going through an o-ring kit every year thats TOO much...maybe every 3-5 years...
infact the model you proposed would be incredibly bad since agd markers are built soo good they dont need regular maintenance or upgrades.

Vanced
02-11-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't mind paying for durable goods... and even things like O-rings, Macroline and such... because thoose pretty much last if you take care of it...

It's Paint and Air...(and batteries) Come on... Expecially if the field has their own compresser... anything expendable...

We dump countless $$$$ into our gear and still have to shell out $$$ every time we want to play...But hey... As long as we continue to bargan shop online for our gear instead of buying it at a premium at the pro shop/field... they gotta pay to stay in buisness somehow...

The only thing that always amazes me... is how much paint & air costs varies from place to place...

But hey... I paid A DOLLAR A BALL ... back in the day once... $10 for a filled 10 round tube... so I can't complain too much I guess... but I think that lasted me an hour too... so maybe I can... :rolleyes:

Paintball may be a lot of things... but I don't think cheep has ever been one...

automikey
02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Many good points have been made about the O-rings and AGD. As far as supporting the company, I just switched from Tippmanns to Automags. In the past few months I bought a new Tac-One, a used 68 and 4 used micromags, so in order to rebuild them I need 5 kits. Maybe that's why I'm frustrated about the price.

Also, I had heard that they might need to be rebuilt every year, which I suspected/hoped was false.

Regarding undercutting the company, I have spent and will spend a lot of money on automag products, and the only complaint I think I ever made was the price of O-rings. I wish AGD would just lower the price and settle this for all of us. For most of their products the prices are reasonable and the quality is always outstanding.

magsRus
02-11-2005, 10:00 PM
selling paint is how stores/fields make money so i cant complain about that, i dont like the high prices of pants, and macroline hoses + connections.

Scott Hudnall
02-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Since when are these overpriced? Hardly......

I think they are fairly priced. Listen......there's plenty of sellers on Ebay selling authentic AGD parts kits with a bottle of Gold Cup oil for $15. That's very reasonable.

Plus.....you rebuild your 'mag how often? If you are like me, you have a new parts kit in your gear bag, along with a Plano box which contains multiple new o-rings from past parts kits, along with some extra used o-rings from rebuilds you've done in the past.

2 years ago I bought a 'mag on ebay that obviously hadn't been touched in.....I'm guessing....5+ years. They seller was an old tournament player from here in the midwest (certain I traded paint with him back in the day) who had put the 'mag away after his last time playing and hadn't touched it. When I got it, I basically took the valve apart, checked to make sure the orings were all there, lubed them up, aired up the gun....and it shot without any problems at all. Dang...it even had the old style on/off, but it was so smooth with no drop-off that i've just left it in the gun.

What needs to come down in price is PAINT. yeah, I remember when we would order paint wholesale for our paintball business and felt happy to get it delivered at an end cost of $75/case. But now there's much more competition in the industry/paintball manufacturers. They're being made overseas in Korea, etc, and you WILL see the cost take a dive. it's been edging down nicely the past several years.....it's time to see it hit rock bottom cheap.

BTW....field paint only is not the only route to build a successful field/business. IMO, Open play days should be BYOP, with a reasonalbe entry/air fee. As the owner, you find out that it's a cash cow and you don't have to put out the $$ to order/store/transport a bunch of paint.

FutureMagOwner
02-12-2005, 12:06 PM
lol i have had my emag for 2 years now and i havent had to change a single o ring on it yet

GT
02-12-2005, 12:38 PM
barrels and feed tubes

ojhspyro89
02-12-2005, 02:01 PM
I say masks. A piece o plastic with a lense and a stretchy strap for over 100 bucks. I mean geeze how can the same materials in an old brass eagle mask basically cost 100 more just molded different. Its a mask.

skife
02-12-2005, 04:11 PM
drops, most of them dont take much machining but when stores are selling them for $50 for just a drop without an asa.... thats robbery.

also i dont like paying for HPA but sometimes you have to because the field doesn't have a pump.

paint is reasonable. i pay $60 a case at mayhem for diablo blaze i think.
if i played at some guy's field (kinda homemade but still organised) i could pay $44 for a case of viper venom.

CKY_Alliance
02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Paint is a little outrages...cheepest at the only field around is 50 bucks thats for zap and white box stuff.air isnt expensive i got my 68/45 filled for $4 the tank itself is expensive.

anyone know how much it cost to make paint balls?approximatly.

68magOwner
02-12-2005, 05:35 PM
stop whining about paint, in fact, it is underpirced, i definately think paint proces will go up, anyway, markers are the most overpriced by FAR, a timmy that takes, $200 max to make, can sell for nearly $2000, just outrageous

SAW
02-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Companies realize they can sell a marker for over a grand. They make it, people will buy it. It's all marketing (hype) and Supply / Demand.
The prices will drop if the clients stop purchasing, that might happen. Oh, wait. :rolleyes:

Athius
02-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Pods they cost at pro-shops for like 5-7 bucks a pod over here.

ASA's and drop fowards are too high priced.

But what the hell markers, parts and clothing can be bought for a very low price at event tradeshows.

CrazyJake
02-12-2005, 07:56 PM
The Retailers!!! Har Har

mark_1791
02-12-2005, 08:18 PM
yeah, some markers are overpriced because they can be. paint actually is ok, i get $47 PMI premium where i play. $4 for 1 68/45 air fill?!?! i pay $10 for an air card that gets me 5 68/45 air fills! as for the $5-7 pods, where i play i can get $2 new pods or $1 pods that were left on the field. yes, i have it easy :D

SAW
02-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Pods they cost at pro-shops for like 5-7 bucks a pod over here.

ASA's and drop fowards are too high priced.

But what the hell markers, parts and clothing can be bought for a very low price at event tradeshows.
Oh, man. I forgot pods. A single pod for $11 USD?

1977FordBronco
02-12-2005, 09:03 PM
For all you people that think it's rediculous for a field to charge for compressed air...The fields need to pay for that $10-$20K fill set-up they have some how. The owner at my local field said that once his generator, compressor, and tanks are paid off that they will drop all day air to $5. Any business that is only open 8 times a month has a lot of overhead and need to make up for it in some fashion.

cockerkiller68
02-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Compressed Air!!!

SOAD8789
02-12-2005, 09:24 PM
almost everything is overpriced, imo. the cost to make most things (like intimidators) is so much lower than the price they sell them at...they mark stuff up way too much...you can buy real guns for less than most "high end" markers.

bam wannabe
02-12-2005, 09:52 PM
paint prices have actually come down over the years, most new comers just dont see it cause they are used to seeing the current prices.

but i feel that the prices of CA tanks is way to much. i mean it's just meant to hold CA and propel the paint... way to much... roughly 70-80 bux for the smallest tanks out there.

or for those ppl usng low-end vert feed guns that use plastic elbows... at 10 bux a pop and they break easily, thats robbery

ojhspyro89
02-12-2005, 10:01 PM
paint prices have actually come down over the years, most new comers just dont see it cause they are used to seeing the current prices.

New comers as in what, like the past 10 years? Ive been playing for 7 and i cant really remember paint being this much.

atm743
02-12-2005, 10:01 PM
i think everything is overpriced

but to me WE the people make something worth what it is.

if lots of people want somthing then its in more damand then the price will go up cuse you know lots of people want it.

frop
02-14-2005, 12:22 AM
but i feel that the prices of CA tanks is way to much. i mean it's just meant to hold CA and propel the paint... way to much... roughly 70-80 bux for the smallest tanks out there.

Uh, no. What your paying for is safety & quality. Think about it, an aluminum cylinder has to be wrapped multiple times with fiber-wrap & resin, then cured in an autoclave, then tested so it won't blow up in your hands.(Basically)

Want cheaper tanks? Lobby your senator to remove all DOT compressed gas regulations. Go ahead,I dare ya. Don't be suprised when ppl die from your 'cheap' tanks tho :rolleyes:

EDIT: Sorry for the mean tone, long night.

kurama
02-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Used Phantoms :rolleyes:
Some people try to get more cash out of their used phantoms than WWA charges for a brand-new one.

CCM pump kits. They cost 20$ less than some pneumatic kits and frontblocks. They're great pumps, but a 10-20$ price drop would make it reasonable.

Markers and paint in general... Well, if markers become cheaper, it sucks for those of us who have expensive markers. 1000$ turns into 200$ in a second.

hAppy
02-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Paint is a rip off. I might think $20 is a better deal, but not the best deal.

And than everything in paintball is a rip off, how do you charge $50 for a foot of "barrel"? Don't give me crap about "quality" and material.

SpecialBlend2786
02-14-2005, 03:24 AM
i agree, barrels are priced ridiculously high. 150+ for a barrel kit?! no way.

I think goggle systems and tanks are priced about right. You are paying for all the safty tests and regulations and everything.

Markers are a bit overpriced, yes. But its not that bad in my opinion.

When a field charges players for compressed air though....that just pisses me off :mad:

Vex
02-14-2005, 04:49 AM
One of (more like the only one...) the local fields here actually has really decent prices: $5 field fee w/own equipment, $5 all day HPA/CO2; it's the damn price of paint that's the killer: $80 for a case of Kickin' paintballs! I've never heard of this brand until I played at the field. I tried to find Kickin' online for sale, but I've had 0% success! It's a real bummer when you've got to price gouge players when they've no choice but use field paint. I'd rather pay $10 field/air fees and be able to bring my own paint.

It's not that the paint itself is over-priced; it's the "Field Only" paint that's a rip off! :mad:

gc82000
02-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Paint is stil overpriced. Even in 93 when it was $100+ to get a case. Now it is still 80 for hellfire and 75 for blaze. Thank god I pay team prices. :D

Lohman446
02-14-2005, 08:13 AM
One of (more like the only one...) the local fields here actually has really decent prices: $5 field fee w/own equipment, $5 all day HPA/CO2; it's the damn price of paint that's the killer: $80 for a case of Kickin' paintballs! I've never heard of this brand until I played at the field. I tried to find Kickin' online for sale, but I've had 0% success! It's a real bummer when you've got to price gouge players when they've no choice but use field paint. I'd rather pay $10 field/air fees and be able to bring my own paint.

It's not that the paint itself is over-priced; it's the "Field Only" paint that's a rip off! :mad:

I like Kick'n, great paint and the people who make it are very responsive to the needs of the people who buy it. However, retail where I play is $47 - and I pay much closer to wholesale cost which is even a better deal, though I'm not going to get into exactly what that number is. However, thats there high grade Metallix and I expect you are shooting there low grade, which is even cheaper. With teh low grade you get some good batches, some bad... its a cheap paint. There Metallix is my paint of choice over everything else I have tried - what I took to Chicago with me last time. Very brittle paint I have very few bounces with it.

hAppy
02-14-2005, 10:31 AM
The guns are way overpriced for sure. Don't tell me it's the intricate milling that boosts the value. Bob Long Dragon Timmies are pressed, that means they are just a chunk of melted aluminum. And no, the very nice anno doesn't cost that much, nothing near $200 for anno.

UTDragun
02-14-2005, 01:54 PM
eclipse autocockers
like 1900 for a gun that costs at max 550 to make
http://www.planeteclipse.com/site/prodView.asp?prodID=1496
price might be in pounds

shatter_storm
02-14-2005, 02:30 PM
The guns are way overpriced for sure. Don't tell me it's the intricate milling that boosts the value. Bob Long Dragon Timmies are pressed, that means they are just a chunk of melted aluminum. And no, the very nice anno doesn't cost that much, nothing near $200 for anno.

Bob long and Dye have the sweetest scams going - you're paying for their name, not for their craftmanship or quality of product. An intimidator is about $500 of parts and $1000 of brand name markup. The dye gear - C4, C5, DM4/5 - is much the same. The product is made for x and then sold for three times that.

Automaggin2
02-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Bob long and Dye have the sweetest scams going - you're paying for their name, not for their craftmanship or quality of product. An intimidator is about $500 of parts and $1000 of brand name markup. The dye gear - C4, C5, DM4/5 - is much the same. The product is made for x and then sold for three times that.

I would doubt if its even $500 dollers to produce a Timmy. I am sorry, but I don't think the craftsmanship on those guns are all that great. Maybe $500 dollars to produce including labor, but there is no way those guns have $500 dollars worth of aluminum. People say "What about R&D?", there couldn't have been much R&D on a timmy becasue its based off a often-copied design.

Vex
02-16-2005, 01:05 AM
At this point, I'm sure that not a whole lot of $$$ goes into R&D seeing as how most guns operate the same way. Most of the dough is just spent on "How ugly can we make this gun and how can we market it so that everyone will think it's the best?"

Commissar_Loki
02-16-2005, 01:57 AM
From in the know...

Stores need to make money. Depending on the thing, markup can be from 5% to 80% all depending on things. One of the biggest rips I would have to say is CO2. My store, usually charges 10 cents an ounce, fairly cheap, but we lower the price about once a year to 2 cents an ounce, and we're still making a little money, not much, but still a bit. Barrels aren't bad, not great though. Markers... are really high, sadly, your local shop probably isn't making much to say the least. O rings, thats a bit of a given. on/offs and drops are fairly costly for most kinds, clothing and such.... the manufacturers must be crazy for what they charge stores. Basically when you buy something, your buying a brand, end of story. The store usually makes less on brands in order to compete. Thats all I have to say... I'm sleepy.

-Butch

minimagjim
02-16-2005, 02:31 AM
I think that paint can be overpriced at fields when you know you can get the same paint else where for alot cheaper. $90-95 a case at a field when someone could buy the exact same paint for less than $50 is a big rip. I dont minde the fields making money but sometimes its just amazing how much they make. I really dont like it when a field charges an arm and a leg for paint and do nothing to provide better facilities, its incredible when a place is making a killing on paint and has horrible fields or bad reffs(underpaid and underqualified) or worse bad restrooms and break areas.

The other biggy has got to be gear. Sure guns are expensive but how about Pods?? I cant believe the prices for a plastic tube with a hinged cap. Other accesories like 40-50 dollar gloves are insane too in my opinion. Anything with a label and a companies name on it is overpriced. Pants, gloves, shoes, and even some jerseys are killer. Packs are another expensive item. They arent too bad but combined with tubes/pods its a pain. Nipple covers are also very costly, and i can never find plastic or rubber covers that are usually shipped with the tanks new. You gotta buy those metal covers that cost nearly 10 bucks.

BUT the biggest rip and most over priced piece are Gear Bags. I have seen some bags cost more than barrel kits and hpa tanks combined. Its incredible they take a back pack put some loops inside for barrels or securing a marker and slap their label on it and charge $175. Or they take a gym bag and call it a paintball bag and add $50 to it. I would love to find a functional bag that costs cheap but I doubt I will find something with a paintball company logo on it. I stick with army surplus bags and guncases.

Kevmaster
02-16-2005, 02:58 AM
when you can get 200 for an aluminum rod, you know you're doing pretty well in life.

paint, all things considered, isnt that bad, especially when you realize that paint is what keeps 95% of fields afloat

hAppy
02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
You know Orings aren't nearly as expensive as you guys think. It's the paintball companies who has you by your nuts, me and my friends bought a sack full of Orings for $10, something like 1000 orings on ebay. Paintball companies just keep on finding new ways to rip us off.

FSU_Paintball
02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
EVERYTHING is horribly overpriced. Some markers are really bad. I'll bet a Halo B costs about $10 to manufacture. I'll bet pods cost about 15 cents. I'll bet clamping feed necks cost $3 to make. I'll bet that $15 rail cost them about 50 cents to make.

If you want to talk about what the MOST overpriced necessity is, I'd say it's whatever has the lowest manufacturer's cost but the highest perceived value. And that's individual to each player.

elpimpo
02-16-2005, 02:32 PM
hose barbs... if you can find them they are outragous. a 50 cent piece will cost u like 6 bones

VTpaintballer
02-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Paintballs are up there