PDA

View Full Version : Question for Airbrushers.

p u r e e v i l
02-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Hey,

I know I'll get a bunch of "just get them annodized" comments, but I want to know what the steps to airbrushing a body are. I know I'd have to clean it before anything, would soap and water work or would I have to strip it? Next, what kind of paint would I use in the Airbrush that would stick to the bodies and stuff? I appreciate it.

Jeffy-CanCon
02-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Your best bet for a question like this might be on a model-airplane forum, or a hot-rod forum.

My limited knowledge makes me say enamel paints, followed by a couple of coats of a clear varnish. Whatever you do, it willbe quite susceptible to scratches.

purple
02-11-2005, 02:21 PM
you'd probably want to use automotive grade paint(which carries some environmental cleanup issues). prime with a really good primer, and nicely clear coat it with a clearcoat that doesnt react with agdlube or paint, or whatever is on the field. Other than that all you need is talent an patience.

Purple

Hexis
02-11-2005, 05:06 PM
You could actually anno/airbrush the body (if we are talking an aluminum body like a ULE). It takes a full set of anno gear, but you can spray the dye on in a thinkened form and seal it after, giving the durability of anno with the flexiability of airbrushed designs.

If you don't have access to that, or the body is SS you will want to ask car or model guys about painting a SS body. I suspect you will want to rough it up with sand paper (if not bead blasted), lay down some primer, do the paint job and cover it with clear coat. It will not be nearly as durable as anno.

p u r e e v i l
02-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Thank you for the help. I'll look into it more at the local shops and see what they recommend.

phlemoe
02-13-2005, 05:31 PM
hey bro use testers paint and make sure to clear coat it real good

skife
02-13-2005, 06:06 PM
for cleaning use soap and water, then a greese and wax remover (i took a semester of auto body :D)

p u r e e v i l
02-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks!