PDA

View Full Version : Designed a magazine cover, check it out

FreakBaller12
02-11-2005, 03:04 PM
I had a project in comp. apps 2 in my High School. It was to design a magazine cover in photoshop with our basic PS skills we were taught. This was designed while looking at pb2x and you can notice some similarities

FireITup14
02-11-2005, 03:07 PM
its cool how theres a chick on the front

Jeffy-CanCon
02-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Nice work.

Skoad
02-11-2005, 03:44 PM
here's ours, kinda after an APG. It actually was for a website, that was made to look like a magazine.

http://web.umr.edu/~umrpball/mainsmaller.jpg

TeamNausea
02-11-2005, 04:30 PM
looking nice both of you...skoad yours is sweet!

Army
02-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Would be 10 times better, if you didn't cut & paste existing paintball design. Originality (even in a school project) is much more acceptable. Your paintball buddies are gonna say; "It's just like PB2X"!

The "circle X" is indeed eerily similar to PB2X, or is that a "duh" on my part?

The FON pic should have been one that, well, isn't obviously claimed by FON.

The banner should be clutter free. I'm not 100% certain what the name of your magazine is, as all the extra headlines cover it. The name should be the most bold.

This is just me, but all the lettering should be in block form, to be more vibrant and easy to read. Article headers should be stacked, not all over the page, and a much smaller font. That distracts from the cover picture, which is your main eye-grabber.

Otherwise, good start. I can see what you want to do, you just need to refine the delivery a bit.

Target Practice
02-11-2005, 04:44 PM
its cool how theres a chick on the front

Yeah, because girls that play paintball are awesome.

It seems a little busy to me, and your use of the tilde over the "n" is incorrect.

Army
02-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Skoad, LOVE the little dog-ear in the bottom corner!

FreakBaller12
02-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the comments army. I see exactly what you see and I know it looks a bit like pb2x. I was looking at the pb2x mag and it looked pretty busy but the picture was equally as busy and still caught my eye. I see what you mean by the lettering and font and stuff. I got the word pntbol from a JT shirt. I just kinda went with the title because I couldn't think of anything creative enough.
Thanks though :)

barrel break
02-11-2005, 06:02 PM
I actually think the first one, is kinda ugly. Try putting text directly on images, not having a big black box of doom. If you are inexperienced with PS, then good job, but the first thing I would reccomend is learning to extract images, so you dont have a big square image looking all akward.

gg

FreakBaller12
02-11-2005, 06:57 PM
I actually think the first one, is kinda ugly. Try putting text directly on images, not having a big black box of doom. If you are inexperienced with PS, then good job, but the first thing I would reccomend is learning to extract images, so you dont have a big square image looking all akward.

gg

I'm a PS newb, that's why I'm taking this class. I just wanted to show off what I did cause I thought it was a descent looking job.

wanna-b-ballin'
02-11-2005, 08:27 PM
why is the title in spanish?
i think paint is spelled "pint". and i think there is an accent mark in there somewhere.
i think its spelled "pint" because painter is "pintor". again, an accent mark somewhere in there i think.

SAW
02-11-2005, 09:03 PM
why is the title in spanish?
i think paint is spelled "pint". and i think there is an accent mark in there somewhere.
i think its spelled "pint" because painter is "pintor". again, an accent mark somewhere in there i think.
It's "1337" talk. You know, the intelligent kind.

FreakBaller12
02-11-2005, 09:25 PM
It's "1337" talk. You know, the intelligent kind.

actually I got it from a JT t-shirt, check pbgear if you don't beleive me.

Target Practice
02-11-2005, 09:44 PM
actually I got it from a JT t-shirt, check pbgear if you don't beleive me.

But it is still wrong. Personally, I think it looks totally unprofessional.

SAW
02-11-2005, 10:05 PM
But it is still wrong. Personally, I think it looks totally unprofessional.
Case and point.

TeamNausea
02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
But he did it in a beginner ps class so it's not supposed to look professional. There's no reason to tear him up since he's just starting outin that area.

SAW
02-11-2005, 10:13 PM
I was in no way ripping his PS skills. Heck, he did a better job than I ever could. I was merely pointing out the title's improfessional wording. This is clearly my opinion, however you must be prepared to receive critiques when releasing your work to the public.

FreakBaller12
02-11-2005, 10:27 PM
I was in no way ripping his PS skills. Heck, he did a better job than I ever could. I was merely pointing out the title's improfessional wording. This is clearly my opinion, however you must be prepared to receive critiques when releasing your work to the public.

yup I realize that. My friend told me about the title too, I kind of realized it after I was done. I couldn't think of anything, so I went the uncreative way. oh well

SAW
02-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Keep going with it, you have definite possibilities! :)

Smileatom88
02-12-2005, 02:07 AM
If this is your first attempt. It's very good. Keep working at. Good Job.