PDA

View Full Version : Need some car audio advise

WickeDKlowN
02-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm a total retard when it comes to car audio, and my Truck needs a new system. Right now it has a tape player and 1 or 2 of the speakers don't even work. It's a 95 Eddie Bauer F150 Ext. Cab, and I have no idea what to buy. My friend told me to put some JL Audio 10W3v2's in it but they are like $150 on ebay and thats a bit rich for my blood. I found one box with 2 Audiobahn 10's for like $100 and that seemed reaonable but I have no idea how good audiobahn subs are.

Also, I have no idea what size speakers go in it. I don't really feel like ripping my door panels off to see, so if anyone happens to know what size they would be, that'd be great.

Basically, I have no idea what I'm doing and need suggestions on well, everything. It dosn't need to be extremley loud and able to be herard by the guy 4 cars back. I don't listen to that much rap so don't tell me to rip out my backseat and put in 4 15's or something, lol.

I'm trying to not spend more than say $350 because if I spend a ton on my truck and I get lucky and find a cheap camaro or something then I'd be sol.

Hexis
02-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Should be 6.5" in the front and 5x7"s in the rear (unless ext cabs are different from non ext cabs). www.crutchfield.com will have good information and you can get a install guide from them thats customized for your truck model. You get the guide free with any purchase of car gear.

Miscue
02-11-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm a total retard when it comes to car audio, and my Truck needs a new system. Right now it has a tape player and 1 or 2 of the speakers don't even work. It's a 95 Eddie Bauer F150 Ext. Cab, and I have no idea what to buy. My friend told me to put some JL Audio 10W3v2's in it but they are like $150 on ebay and thats a bit rich for my blood. I found one box with 2 Audiobahn 10's for like $100 and that seemed reaonable but I have no idea how good audiobahn subs are.

Also, I have no idea what size speakers go in it. I don't really feel like ripping my door panels off to see, so if anyone happens to know what size they would be, that'd be great.

Basically, I have no idea what I'm doing and need suggestions on well, everything. It dosn't need to be extremley loud and able to be herard by the guy 4 cars back. I don't listen to that much rap so don't tell me to rip out my backseat and put in 4 15's or something, lol.

I'm trying to not spend more than say $350 because if I spend a ton on my truck and I get lucky and find a cheap camaro or something then I'd be sol.

Well, you probably need a new deck. And for a sub, you'll need an amp, cabling, and an enclosure. What about fixing your front speakers? Most of your sound comes from there, ya know.

There's no sensible way for you to do what you're talking about for $350.

WickeDKlowN
02-11-2005, 08:40 PM
I think I'm gonna go with a Panasonic CQ-C5210U cd player and JL Audio TR650-CXI and JL Audio TR570-CXI speakers. I don't need a sub so yeah... Anyone got anything to say about the aforementioned speakers and/or cd player?

On eBay, they should come out to ~$350 with shipping.

Gtask8
02-13-2005, 01:00 AM
You could just save the money and buy a camero

WickeDKlowN
02-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Find me a Camaro in half-decent condition for <$1000.

Now I think I'm just gonna get some cheap Kicker or Infinity speakers and a cheap cd player. After all, it is just an old truck.

PyRo
02-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Find me a Camaro in half-decent condition for <$1000.

I could find you three :)

gamarada717
02-13-2005, 02:22 PM

I found mine in execelent condition for 800. You just have to look around, they're very simple to find once you know where to look.

WickeDKlowN
02-13-2005, 04:00 PM
In the Daytona Beach, FL area? ;)

I'm probobly gonna go check out an 86 IROC next weekend, and I check the paper every couple days but other than that I have no idea where to look...

teufelhunden
02-13-2005, 04:20 PM
How about any in the Northern NJ area.. :)

WickeDKlowN
02-13-2005, 06:45 PM
OK, back on subject here. I've got my choices down to Pioneer TS-A1681R 6.5's and Pioneer TS-A6880R 6x8/5x7's, or Kicker KS60 6.5's and Kicker KS68 6x8/5x7's with an Alpine deck. The Pioneers are a bit cheaper, but they're both 4-way's opposed the the Kickers being 2-ways.

Cristobal
02-13-2005, 07:43 PM
OK, back on subject here. I've got my choices down to Pioneer TS-A1681R 6.5's and Pioneer TS-A6880R 6x8/5x7's, or Kicker KS60 6.5's and Kicker KS68 6x8/5x7's with an Alpine deck. The Pioneers are a bit cheaper, but they're both 4-way's opposed the the Kickers being 2-ways.

The "super tweeter" on the 4-ways is going to be pretty much superfluous. The frequency range for it is at the edge of human hearing, and especially in a truck, I'd imagine that the super-high frequencies it produces are going to get lost in road noise anyway. But that still leaves you with a woofer, dedicated midrange driver, and tweeter in the 4-way setup which in theory would sound better than just a 2-way woofer/tweeter. The question is: will you be able to tell the difference in your vehicle. As to that, I don't have enough experience to tell.

Also, if you didn't already know, at crucified.com, while they may not have the best prices, you can enter your exact vehicle and model and it'll come back with all the audio components that will fit, along with installation information.

WickeDKlowN
02-13-2005, 09:51 PM
The "super tweeter" on the 4-ways is going to be pretty much superfluous. The frequency range for it is at the edge of human hearing, and especially in a truck, I'd imagine that the super-high frequencies it produces are going to get lost in road noise anyway. But that still leaves you with a woofer, dedicated midrange driver, and tweeter in the 4-way setup which in theory would sound better than just a 2-way woofer/tweeter. The question is: will you be able to tell the difference in your vehicle. As to that, I don't have enough experience to tell.

Also, if you didn't already know, at crucified.com, while they may not have the best prices, you can enter your exact vehicle and model and it'll come back with all the audio components that will fit, along with installation information.
you mean crutchfield.com? ;)

According to them, none fo the 5x7's will fit in my truck :(

929RR-MAN
02-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Not to get off subject, but you should be able to find a decent camaro in your price range, as long as it 3rd generation or lower. Keep your eyes peeled for deals. Friend of mine ran into a deal from a guy that owed the IRS a lot of money, needed to sell his camaro ASAP. Car was in cherry shape, IROC-Z, low miles, engine had some mods to it, fast as hell, he got if for a grand.

WicKeD_WaYz
02-14-2005, 06:21 PM
whatever anyone tells you, you'll probably go into the audio store and get talked into buying something else, unless your ordering online.