PDA

View Full Version : Used Equitment Buying

WenULiVeUdiE
02-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Many of us buy paintball products used. But when you enter in a transaction, do you state any rules? As in " If the marker breaks down, seller pays for repairs." What is the general or widely accepted rule about buying used equitment? I only buy used parts locally for this reason. I know I can trust many people in a transaction, but I still dont want to risk it.

phantomhitman
02-11-2005, 08:50 PM
the easiest, best, and safest way to go about a gun trascation is to use a tech of that gun to third party it. they can check it over, make sure it works, and let both people know. after that if it breaks you pay for it. make sure you know what you are getting if not, and sask the seller specific questions.

WenULiVeUdiE
02-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Third parties can work very well. But the seller can sometimes have a frend as his " third party." How about if you are going to play for the second time with the gun and say the reg fails. Now who pays for it? I had something like this happen to me, but luckily it was local so it worked out just fine.

sabrefanpc
02-11-2005, 09:06 PM
by third party he means a qualified, reputable shop or tech. Palmers I know does this regullarly and so do many other big shops. if they say its good, then anything that happens is ussauly the buyers problem, unless the 3rd party has some kind of warentee.

http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/catalog/brokerage.htm

WenULiVeUdiE
02-11-2005, 09:15 PM
I knew he meant qualified, but sometimes the seller lies. Hmmm, for some reason Palmer's 3rd party service escaped me. You may have just opened up a new window for me. When I sell goods I always say I will pay for serious marker repair until a month after the transaction.

GT
02-12-2005, 12:49 PM
few tips about buying used stuff.

Make sure the Price of the equipment + repair parts is less than what it would cost new. In other words, if you buy it, expect it to not work. Then all you have to do is buy a rebuild kit. be dammed careful buying electros as boards and selnoid's get real pricey.

read about common problems. With mags its improper tunning, trixs maybe orings, etc.

Ask yourself why someone is selling something. If it is a guy with a bunch of feedback, he problally just likes to sell stuff, someone with no feedback might take you for a ride.

In all honesty I really only trade/buy/sell mag stuff anymore. They rarely have problems and any of those are super easy to fix.

gt

trains are bad
02-12-2005, 01:03 PM
n other words, if you buy it, expect it to not work. Then all you have to do is buy a rebuild kit. be dammed careful buying electros as boards and selnoid's get real pricey.

yeah basically. I know enough about stuff that it's no big deal. I got a heckuva deal on a cocker that had a few issues and I could tell the owner probably sold it off while it was working. All it took was a couple orings and a tap to fix it up. If I want something for sure trouble free, I buy new.

Pretty much ALL my gear is used. It's silly to buy new stuff at markup when you can get equivalent used stuff for 20%+ less. If you are poor like me it's the way to get more stuff for less.

GT
02-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Pretty much ALL my gear is used. It's silly to buy new stuff at markup when you can get equivalent used stuff for 20%+ less. If you are poor like me it's the way to get more stuff for less.

I do the samething. About the only thing i buy new are drops, rails, whatever since I dont want them stripped are chipped up. Besides there isnt much saved if buying individual small pieces over the net